Super-wide culture challenge

krc

King
In the crackpot radical strategy thread, I recently posted a screenshot from a game I played as the Celts where (1) I got the "longest name ever" achievement, and (2) I built the utopia project in 1994.

The settings were cooked to make this easier (prince, large, pangaea, standard speed, with only 6 civilizations).

So, the question/challenges are:
  1. How quickly can you both settle at least 30 cities and win a cultural victory?
  2. What difficulty levels can you do this on?
  3. What's the largest score you can get?

I am sure that my starting position as the Celts makes it possible to do this much faster than I managed it, so you are welcome to try that one. (My only goal when I started was to see what it took to get the achievement. I was only using cathedrals/faith to get enough happiness to expand and eventually realized that cultural victory was actually possible.)
View attachment AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

Or you can roll your own. Other civs might be able to do the same thing. (Maya? Byzantium?)

I accidentally won via culture victory as China one time with a very wide empire. Some of the cities were conquests, but at least 15 were settled by me. I had also annexed most of the conquered ones. I was stuck in a stalemate war with my final competitor on my continent but the terrain was on his side. I ended up winning via culture before my military tech advanced enough to overcome the terrain issues. It was an odd outcome that snuck up on me!

Do you have to settle them, or is annexing allowed?

Get enough policies. Then send out 30 settlers.

That's an interesting theory. But it still requires you to build/buy all of the settlers and find a place for them to build a city before you build the utopia project. Are you sure that will be faster than expanding and claiming territory all along?

Do you have to settle them, or is annexing allowed?

I did it by settling (although I eventually annexed one city in order to have a base to build/buy troops closer to the front lines).

It would be more interesting to see who could settle the most cities and still win by culture in an allotted period of time.

I like the way FeiLing thinks :lol:

Well, if you are ICSing, that means most cities do not need many improvements
An interesting way to play this would be with Polynesia, building moais all along the cost
:pPPP you would have like triple landmarks right there

Well, if you are ICSing, that means most cities do not need many improvements
An interesting way to play this would be with Polynesia, building moais all along the cost
:pPPP you would have like triple landmarks right there

I was just about to say, Polynesia is great for playing wide and keeping culture policy costs low. Siam is decent as well, for the Wat.

I think with Liberty, Sistine, religious traits that add culture per city, etc. it may be possible to nearly eliminate the additional policy cost. It would require all culture buildings in each additional city ASAP for full effect, but once the game gets rolling I don't think it would be too bad. Neuschwanstein and CN tower may actually really help. If you have that many cities, probably have enough science to reach both of them.

Top Bottom