Kings Bounty: The Legends

Thanks for the link. I'll try the demo.

It sure looks cool, I think Heretic_Cata has it, maybe he'll care to give us a review ?

It sure looks cool, I think Heretic_Cata has it, maybe he'll care to give us a review ?
Ok

It is one of the most fun TBS games i ever played.
It is impossible NOT to compare it with Heroes5 so i'll say a few things.

Combat is much better than in H5 - there are all sorts of tiny little things that make it better, but the biggest would be the creature number limitations. In H5 you'd only need to get a BIG army and wipe almost anything off the map with ease (except the oponent players). In King's Bounty you cannot have large armies without leadership. Which is a thingy that you get by leveling up (of course being a warrior, you would choose more leadership when promted to choose; a mage OTOH would go for less). So no big armies. However, later in the game you will have rather significant armies, and if you forgot to clear an area earlier in the game you would still have to fight the creatures you left (however weak they might be) - because there is no Quick Combat like in H5 (unfortunatley). Oh and another thing, King's bounty is SINGLE player game. No multiplayer and no oponents in the H5 sense of the word - which is one of the things that i love.
Leveling up - there's no skills like in H5. You get to choose between a few stuff when leveling up. Most important being runes. With runes you can learn skills from the skill tree - Diablo style. There are 3 skill trees and iirc they are about 1/2 different for each of the 3 classes.
Also, being a singleplayer game, they could work on the graphics a lot more and create some epic sceneries.
Let's see what else ... you get fun boss fights, you can upgrade spells, you can upgrade artifacts, you get the rage box which is a sorta alternative spell book.
Oh, one thing sucked. The story. In fact i wasn't even paying atention all that much to it.
Of course H5 certainly has several advantages over King's Bounty as well. But all in all i couldn't decide which is better between the 2. They seem similar but quite different when you play them. King's bounty has a much more developed RPG side and H5 has a more developed TBS side. So i guess i love both.
However i don't recommend the game if you want to play this with your friends. If you want to do that you should wait for the addon that is supposed to be coming in a few months. It might have multi.

These being said i'm looking forward to Disciples3. Waiting to see toward wich of these 2 games does it lean to.

:) thanks for the review, it certainly sounds interesting. It might be something to play in the holidays.

I agree about Disciples too, the former was a great game, especially the art in it. We'll see if the new devs can keep the quality at the same level.

Yeah I have played it, even made a thread about it but no one bothered to reply

I'd say it's one of the better games released this year. Sucks how the latest patch isn't compatible with the European version but there are means to bypass it

They also announced an expansion pack for the game, called "Armored Princess" although she doesn't seem very armored to me. Russian site here, release date somewhere around Q1 2009

Downloading the demo. If I don`t like it, its off with your head, Cata. You have been warned, the taskmaster has spoken.
:D
Yeah I have played it, even made a thread about it but no one bothered to reply

I'd say it's one of the better games released this year. Sucks how the latest patch isn't compatible with the European version but there are means to bypass it

They also announced an expansion pack for the game, called "Armored Princess" although she doesn't seem very armored to me. Russian site here, release date somewhere around Q1 2009
Sorry for not replying there - i didn't play it when you posted it. :)

I'll be geting the addon too.

Thanks for the review heretic :goodjob:
It sure looks like a game I'd like to play, but I have many to play at the moment (Bioshock and Fallout 3...), so I'll probably wait until it's bundled with the expansion.

Its so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Spoiler :
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

...oooooooooooooooooowwwwww.. And I like TBS games!

Chop, chop, Catalyn!! :evil:

What's slow ?
Maybe you don't like RPGs :p

The game is slower paced than H5 which is great for me (just like the RPGs of the good ole days). I actually have time to do everything i want. (if this is what you meant)

No, I mean, the units move slowly.. They walk.. they could atleast "jog", its a battle!

Also, the music is inconsistent, it changes for no obviouos reason.

Also, I seem to be unable to control the movement order of my units. Sometimes I don`t want my Priests to go attack, I want to skip them and use Swordsmen, but either "Wait" or "Defend" just skips my turn altogether.

Also, if I have 4 units, and the enemy has 4 units, sometimes I move only 3 of mine, and then he moves 2, then I move 1, then he moves the other 2. Shouldn`t it be equal?

No, I mean, the units move slowly.. They walk.. they could atleast "jog", its a battle!
You can change the speed from the options. I maxed it.
Also, the music is inconsistent, it changes for no obviouos reason.
When exactly ? IIRC the music changed just like in H5 - depending on the terrain on which you walk. If it's complex terrain it's screwed.
Also, I seem to be unable to control the movement order of my units. Sometimes I don`t want my Priests to go attack, I want to skip them and use Swordsmen, but either "Wait" or "Defend" just skips my turn altogether.
That's not true. It works exactly like in H5. Wait makes your initiative/speed(don't remember which) (-1)*(your current number) for the duration of the current round. The only difference from H5 IIRC is that the wait button doesn't get disabled if you already waited once in the current round. So if you're not paying attention you could click wait and it would do nothing since the round would end and you can't wait indefinetly.
Oh, and from what i remember if you choose a fast speed for the battles, you might miss the message when the round ends/begins; so if you're a beginner it might screw up your calculations.
Also, if I have 4 units, and the enemy has 4 units, sometimes I move only 3 of mine, and then he moves 2, then I move 1, then he moves the other 2. Shouldn`t it be equal?
I might not have understood this correctly:
Just like Heroes and Disciples the order in which you move your troops is dependent on each of the units stats (it's either the Initiative or Speed - i don't remember). The bigger that stat is, the sooner you will move. This is an important strategic aspect since you can see your oponent's stats and you can see the order in which units move on the field. So a dragon , horseman will move sooner than the peasant/swordsman regardless of who owns these creatures (you or the enemy).

Anymore questions ? :)
Shame i don't have the game installed anymore. I could give more exact info.

Yes, there are no "player turns" or "enemy turns", all units move depending on their initiative. So if you have a griffin and a zombie, and the enemy has a swordsman, then the battle order will be
griffin -> swordsman -> zombie -> new round

Waiting units will move once every unit has moved. Waiting units will be sorted in reverse order, for example
griffin(wait) -> swordsman(wait) -> zombie(wait) -> zombie(act) -> swordsman(act) -> griffin(act) -> new round

If both the player and the enemy have a unit with same initiative then I think the enemy goes first

Nicely explained GVBN. :goodjob:

As for the units with the same initiative thing - i think it's random. I seem to recall going first a few times in those cases.

Top Bottom