How to Add/Use These New Units

It took me a few min to figure out how to add the first nonciv3ptw unit in my mod, but i did it! (with some valuable help from this thread ofcourse ;) )

The phalangite unit had some problems, the biggest of which was that there was no fidget anime.

Fidget animes seem to be essential for all ground units, and the game crushed without it. I just created another phalangite_default file and renamed it phalangite fidget.

You do not absolutely need to create icon entries in the iconpedia txt, but you certainly have to create an #anim entry.

you dont have to create a description of your unit either, although i did. i dont know why firaxis didnt include that option in their editor...

here you can see the finished result! :king:

ps: it was worth it, this phalangite takes 1 citizen, costs 5 shields, but has 5 attack 2 defence :goodjob:

i must find a lot more greek units if i am to keep working on my pelloponesian war scen... know any links to them? ;)

Here's a question... Did everything on your tutorial... Rechecked twice but nothing is being said about a '.amb' file... What is that and how do I fix it... Game can't find it for the female marine.
:cry:

:cry: I've tried everything that everyone has said in this thread and still I cannot get any units besides a select few of Bebros riflemen into my game! I know I posted the same complaints in the last thread but the answers didnt help me. Everytime i try to add a new unit, it says "error reading file, missing entry in text\pediaicons\Animname_whatever my unit is. I've put things there, I've double cheeked spelling, I've done everything I can think of. The unit I have really wanted to use recently was an artillery called Krupps Howitzer, here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=22289&page=14&pp=20. If someone could take some time and try and put that into their game and alert me of any problems I may have overlooked or if that file simple dosent work. And please, I can not comprehend these elaborate explainations, so just give me the idiot friendly one. Thank you.

laletinamateani said:
Here's a question... Did everything on your tutorial... Rechecked twice but nothing is being said about a '.amb' file... What is that and how do I fix it... Game can't find it for the female marine.
:cry:

.amb files are sound files. If I understand it correctly it is actually a combination of sounds.
This has no effect on the graphic parts of new units os it is better left out.

I know nobody cares but in the Pediaicons.txt folder thing, how do you get the correct animation? In Kryten's tutorial it say that you take the stuff you need from the Pediaicons in the scenario. The problem is, I downloaded these units--they are in no scenario so I don't have the correct Pediaicon PRTO_..... thing. I tried it and it doesn't work and I think this is why. If anyone could tell me what I'm missing, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Master PJ8 you didn't give much info but the 'scenario' is what ever game you are trying to add units to. Most of us create a 'scenario folder' to do our adding and puttering in. To do this just copy the BIX or BIQ from your main game folder and whatever other folders you will add things into.
Step one create empty folder and name it "My Game" or whatever you want to call it.
if you are just going to add units then just add a folder named "Art" and add a folder named "units" into it, copy your BIX or BIQ file into the My Game folder. Make a folder named "Text" in your My Game folder. Copy your Pediaicons & Civipedia files into this. Now you have a game to "play around" with without messing up your Main Civ III game.
Just to get the unit in the game open Pediaicons file in your text folder and go down to the bottom of the list, just above the
#####################################
#Era-Specific Unit Icons

you will see the last unit entry, go to the end of that list and type in your unit

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Your Unit
Your Unit

Make sure your unit folder is in your "Units" folder and the "Ini file" has the same name as the unit folder. Start Civ III go to scenarios or Civ-Content if you Conquests look for My Game click that and play. If you need more help PM me

Argghhh :mad: ! Using Kraken's guide, but where I'm really confused is setting up the search path in the Scenario properties. Here's the situation: In C3C I added a new folder in the Scenario folder called my_scenarios. To it, I copied the Art and Text folders from the default Conquests folder and pasted them therein. My assumption was that, by doing this, I could modify things in the Art and Text folders in my new folder without screwing things up in the default folders. Now, to make all this work, kraken's guide says I need to set up the search path so that when I run a custom scenario (e.g., test.biq located in the new my_scenarios folder), the game will first check my new Art and Text folders. Makes sense right, kinda the same way the Conquests (e.g., WWII Pacific) works. But I can't seem to get the game to look at the units_32.pcx (zulu's) in my new folder, it keeps wanting to use the one in the default folder (which only has 349 or so icons).

Okay, so based on the folder structure of adding my_scenarios (containing subfolders Art and Text, and Art/Units containing zulu's unit file) directly to the existing Scenarios folder, I've so far tried renaming the search path thusly:

..\scenarios\my_scenarios
scenarios\my_scenarios
scenarios;my_scenarios
..\scenarios;my_scenarios

I understand DOS-like commands normally. Maybe I just don't understand what the default/original search path is and so I'm not referencing the correct folder. Could someone please help me?

Again the default installation for C3C is:

C:\Games\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests - this contains the default Art and Art\Units and Text folders.

I'm trying to get the game to use as the default:

C:\Games\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\my_scenarios - which contains my modified Art, Art\Units, Text, etc. folders.

Okay, think I've solved another caper on my own :) ... Regarding most recent post on this thread (see above), the search path language I needed was just: my_scenarios

I guess this means that the default search site is the Scenarios folder, so use that as the starting point for your search paths. I don't recall this specific information being in kraken's guide and the help button in the C3C editor is pretty much useless on this particular issue. Hope this saves someone else some trouble.

:confused: Hello. I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I don't know where else to post it. I am having trouble adding units.

I have C3C v1.22. I downloaded CivArmy s. 1994's Canada Mod. I tested it out, and it works. I have tried to add units to this mod. I have followed Colonel Kraken's tutorial to the letter. I diligently modified the civilopedia and pediacon txt files. I also carefully tweaked the biq file. But it will not work.

This is what happens: I start the game with a worker and a settler. I can move them around the map. I check the civilopedia, and my new units are there, both description and icons. I check the tech tree, and my new units are there, nice little icons and the neat little link to the civilopedia entry. As soon as I build my first city, however, the game crashes.

The game does not display an error message. I press "build", the settler becomes a city, and then the game just crashes to the desktop. I never make it to the city screen.

I have searched and searched for an answer. Apparently others have had a similar problem on this forum, but I have yet to see a solution posted anywhere.

In case it matters, I added the following units from the unit library: Spetsnaz, Parachutiste, and Peacekeeper. I added them to the Modded scenario directory. I made sure that each unit file had an .ini file, .wav files, and flc files. The .ini file name matches the unit file name. I verified the content of the .ini file to make sure that the right sound and animation files were included. I edited the units_32.pcx file.

I am a noob, and so I am half expecting someone to point out something totally elementary. But if anyone could help, that would be super-fantastic.

Thanks.

davedave said:
:confused: Hello. I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I don't know where else to post it. I am having trouble adding units.

Hello Davedave,

I would like to ask a question , you said you add the Peacekeaper (e.g.) ,when you build your first city are you in a modern ERA ( same of the Peacekeaper ..) or are you in the antiq ERA ?
If you are in the antiq ERA and the Peacekeaper in the modern ERA, you have not a trouble with these added units ...It's something else you changed..
If it's the same ERA , it can come from a lot of things...In general, for me, it's often the wav files which are not at the right place...For example in the INI file you have a link to a wav file which is in the warrior repertory (e.g.) but because I have the french version of CIV III the warrior is called "guerrier" and the computer doesn't find the way...
I think I didn't help you ... but considering all the things you check... I have no idea...
PS: You have to post this kind of question in the discussion forum... just below the creations forum ...

:)

Do you HAVE TO create a scenario for these units to appear in the game? And what happens if u save a Civ3 Vannila unit in C3C?

I would appreciate a reply. I jus want a quick answer to my ?s

The Real Sadaam said:
Do you HAVE TO create a scenario for these units to appear in the game?
No, you can put them in with the default rules, but if you ever want to remove them you have to do it by hand IIRC (or reinstall)
The Real Sadaam said:
And what happens if u save a Civ3 Vannila unit in C3C?
There is no difference between vanilla and C3C units...

Thanks a lot The Great Apple, i appreciate it.

One more question (im a noob), do these units have the same basic stats as other units (attack, technology required, speed, blah, blah blah).

The Real Sadaam said:
One more question (im a noob), do these units have the same basic stats as other units (attack, technology required, speed, blah, blah blah).
You set this up in the editer when you add the new unit. You can decide what stats you want to give it.

What happens if i dont?

Hi everyone, I'm a noob to these boards. I'm having trouble adding units, I've done everything said in the first two posts; I've named the folders after the ini files, and every time I start Civ3 it say's civ3 commited an illegal operation after I build my first city right before the city screen. I got Civ3 Vanilla with 1.29f patch.

I have this problem with my units_32 file, im running original civ3
i edit it with mspaint because its absolutely amazing (the default windows imager doesnt let me edit), when i open civ3edit all the units colors were a little messed so i bumped the file down to 256 colors, they're a little darker but i think it looks better
ANYWAY my problem is as soon as i build my first city the game crashes, its clearly the units_32.pcx file since everything else is in pristine order so i was wondering how you professional game modders do it (in detail please) and what program you use to edit the units_32 file

THANKS! :)

For me, everything worked fine and i am able to use all these units in the game..I still have one little problem..There is still some units that are not included in Zulu9812's (or whatever the numbers are :p , just kidding) units-32.pcx files. For those units, the creater often supplies a small pcx file containing only this unit..it's name always looks like this: "theunitsname_units_32.pcx" and its size is always 2 Kb. My question is: how to use this file?

Top Bottom