Which UU's abilities carry over when upgraded?

zeock9

Chieftain
I found some UU's unique abilities carry over when upgraded while others lose theirs, and there doesn't seem to be any set of rules.

For example, American Minuteman(musket man replacement) retain their ability 'Ignore Terrain Cost' when upgraded to rifle men, making them extremely versatile when fully upgraded to mechanized infantry, while Spanish Tercio(also musket man replacement) lose their ability 'Anti Mounted' when upgraded to rifle men.

Does anyone have a list of which UU's special abilities carry over and which don't?

Jaguar's new 25-health-on-kill ability upgrades forever. one of my favorites! I get so pissed when one of them dies as a swordsman or something and they are too obsolete to create :*(

Hun's Battering Ram 300% city attack bonus is not passed on upgrading.

One buggy feature is that Korean Hwacha keeps 200% city attack bonus when is upgraded from Catapult. Since they are designed to deal with the units (not cities), they have twice much higher power then its replacement and don't have city 200% promotion originally. A Hwacha with 200% city attack bonus is truly overpowered.

Spanish conquistadors do not retain their ability to settle cities after being upgraded by some ruins. [pissed]

African Forest Elephant looses its terror ability when upgraded to knight, but retains its great general spawning power.

Immortal's increased heal carries over (I need to check and see if it's identical to the one given by Fountain of Youth... the name seem the same)

As does Longbowman's Range (although they don't get squat as a bonus if you upgrade an archer who already possesses range into a longbowman).

As for Conquistador/Legion... anything that isn't tied to a Promotion will usually not carry over (and builds/improvements are coded for specific units instead of being tied to promos).

Chinese Chu-Ko-Nu keeps their two attacks when upgraded to Gatling Gun. Double tap!

Couple that with the GG bonus and you got yourself an army :p. Tried it on emperor and it worked wonders :p. All I needed was those gatlin guns with 2 hits and a lancer to steal the town.

Another interesting(possibly a bug or an oversight) note -

when you pick up 'March' promotion as a Knight or earlier, it can earn another promotion that has the same effect, 'Repair', once it's upgraded to Landship and thereafter, but they don't stack.

Immortal's increased heal carries over (I need to check and see if it's identical to the one given by Fountain of Youth... the name seem the same

It is the same promotion, at least it was in vanilla. Imagine my surprise\disappointment when I expected my Immortals to have super healing when I had the fountain of youth in my empire and nothing happened :sad:

Pictish Warriors lose the ability to gain faith from kills, but they do retain the Foreign Lands bonus and No Movement Cost to Pillage. Can you imagine an attack helicopter that can burn down a city's surroundings in one turn?

Pictish Warriors lose the ability to gain faith from kills, but they do retain the Foreign Lands bonus and No Movement Cost to Pillage. Can you imagine an attack helicopter that can burn down a city's surroundings in one turn?

You would need 10 movement to move to every hex around a city tile without triggering the "All movement points used for moving between two hexes adjacent to a hostile" rule, assuming you started in one of those hexes and no units were interfering, so no.

Sea Beggars maintain all their given and earned promotions when upgraded to Destroyers, even the ability to capture hostile ships.

You would need 10 movement to move to every hex around a city tile without triggering the "All movement points used for moving between two hexes adjacent to a hostile" rule, assuming you started in one of those hexes and no units were interfering, so no.

However, assuming that the Lancer and Anti-tank gun abilities carry over, the Pictish Attack Helicopter can be a raiding unit from hell - bonus vs. tanks & cavalry, move after attack, pillage for free, foreign lands bonus, high movement speed, and likely very high level - all these things make for something I would rather not see on the other side of the field.
You wouldn't need to pillage every tile around the city in one turn. You could just derp around it, pillage stuff, then move out of range, and do it every turn until enemy units show up for you to kill.

Jaguar's new 25-health-on-kill ability upgrades forever. one of my favorites! I get so pissed when one of them dies as a swordsman or something and they are too obsolete to create :*(

The Jaguar's Forest/Jungle movement and attack bonusses carry over as well.

Mandekalu Cavalry - Nothing to carry over, the specials is from the civ, not the unit.
Also makes it a lot less fun to get it from a military CS.

Inca Slingers - Withdraw on melee attack upgrades.

Spanish Conquistador - It's embarked enhanced defense carries over and it stacks with Songhais if you play Askia and get them from a Military CS.

Top Bottom