Insta-Marble bonus?

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Maybe I've just never paid attention to this cuz i dont always settle on marble but in this game Im playing as France, I moved first turn so I could settle on the marble 2nd turn ... and this pops up. Is this something normal for settling on marble? Something unique to france? It gave me the happiness and I clearly dont have anything teched. Its Emperor/Standard/Pangea. Maybe its a bug?

InstaMarbleStart.jpg

That shouldn't happen since all other resources need the appropriate tech for the benefit, but it could make snagging early wonders MUCH easier, especially on Immortal/Deity. I doubt it's because you're France...I would think it's just a bug nobody's noticed until now. Hmm...

This has been true for marble as long as I can remember. Don't think it came in as part of any patches or expansions, and don't think it's a bug (too well documented at this point to be overlooked).

i'll see if i still have that save. i retired a few turns later because it has a snaky weird map with lots of lakes and difficult terrain. but it had a heavy sea resource area around me. i took god of the sea right as my spearman, scout, and worker got killed/stolen in the same turn. yeah, i retired it.

This has been true for marble as long as I can remember. Don't think it came in as part of any patches or expansions, and don't think it's a bug (too well documented at this point to be overlooked).

interesting. ive never known this so ill have to start considering it when i see marble around.

It's been like that for a long time.

You get the +15% wonder bonus instantly, but you don't get the luxury resource until you research Masonry.

It might be a bit weird but then again, you can get the food/gold bonus of settling on the resource even if you don't have the requisite tech either. So I guess the production bonus is more like that.

Settling on Marble was my secret technique for winning the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario on Deity. Played with Egypt and rerolled until I had a nice Marble hill to settle on (though it still set me back at least 2 turns to move there). That really helped with production (the Nile area is otherwise mostly deficient in hammers) and let me beat Persia to the early Oracle (got all of the wonders that game except the two Science ones!).

You get the the production boost towards wonders, but you don't actually have the resource connected until you research the tech. You can't trade it and don't get the happiness until you have masonry.

i guess im gonna make this my new Egypt restart goal. i wanna see how cheap I can reduce the wonder costs with them. thanks for the info, civvers.

@Hammer Rabbi

no, it's not a bug. just happened to me a few hours ago. btw I'm playing as Russia.

another question regarding marble (and stone as well). i settled on a marble. i have teched to masonry. i have the +4 happiness from it. I took +2 faith from quarries but my capital, which is settled on the marble, doesnt get +2 faith for it. anyone know why? do cities not actually have quarries?

another question regarding marble (and stone as well). i settled on a marble. i have teched to masonry. i have the +4 happiness from it. I took +2 faith from quarries but my capital, which is settled on the marble, doesnt get +2 faith for it. anyone know why? do cities not actually have quarries?

Exactly. There technically is no quarry; the city is simply working the marble.

bummer. when i settle on horses it seems i get the stable bonus. i thought it would work for marble too.

bummer. when i settle on horses it seems i get the stable bonus. i thought it would work for marble too.

You do get the bonus in that (I think) you can build a stoneworks. Note that the stable's description says you need one source *worked* - it mentions nothing of a pasture. It's the same concept with marble - you're working it, but there's not actually a quarry.

well, marble does give the +15% to wonders when you settle on it so it's okay to me. id still settle on one but not on stone anymore. i love good quarry starts so i can take Stone Circles. Its in my top 5 pantheons that i like to get.

Top Bottom