Why Can't We Be Friends?

swishizzle

Chieftain
So I've been noticing (as have a lot of others by the threads) that the AIs have gotten more aggressive post patch. I'd upload some images, but my game keeps crashing for some reason.

My last game as Carthage (Standard, Immortal, Tiny Islands) was probably the craziest I'd seen yet. Initially, I had a DOF with Mongolia (my closest neighbor) and later Babylon. Everyone else was either hostile (Monty, Lizzy), guarded (Augustus, Ethiopia) or neutral (Isabella). Around turn 45, Mongolia back-stabbed me, conquered my ally Ragusa, and flooded my boarders with warriors/archers. Within the next 10 turns, every single Civ was at war with at least one other Civ and 3 CS's had been conquered by different Civs.

After a bit more playing, the alliances turned out to be me, Nebs, and Isabella vs. Lizzy, Genghis, and Monty (Genghis and Monty were actually at war with each other too...). Ethiopia was wonder spamming, but DOWed Lizzy for some reason while Rome DOWed the across-the-globe Babylon.

Since it was so early, not many people were losing cities, but it was definitely hurting everyone. Most cities around the world were starving due to blockades and everyone apparently stopped focusing on tech and only produced units. It seems that everyone was so focused on conquering cities that they couldn't develop their own cities. I ended up quitting because almost every non-capital city had less than 3 pop (usually 1 or 2) because of starvation and no one seemed to be letting up.

Has anyone had any similar crazy experiences? G&K started this trend, but I think the Fall Patch certainly enhanced it.

I had a situation where by 1900 all Civs were still using archers and swords because everyone had ruined themselves fighting multiple wars! It was a relief for me cos I wasn`t advancing much either!

I had a situation where by 1900 all Civs were still using archers and swords because everyone had ruined themselves fighting multiple wars! It was a relief for me cos I wasn`t advancing much either!

In the middle of a similar experience now. Rome-Immortal-Epic-Giant Earth. Everyone in Western Asia, Europe and Africa has been at on-again, off-again war for 5000 years. Then, in 1728, China completes the Manhattan Project. Holywtf.

Yeah im kinda abeginner so im just pratting around on warlord setting, two games in a row now that before turn 80 my nearest neighbour has sprouted 20 units of archers/warriors and just spammed em at me (luckily on my latest i have a very good choke point) They then break off for 25 turns if you offer pece... and then start it all over again.

Yeah im kinda abeginner so im just pratting around on warlord setting, two games in a row now that before turn 80 my nearest neighbour has sprouted 20 units of archers/warriors and just spammed em at me (luckily on my latest i have a very good choke point) They then break off for 25 turns if you offer pece... and then start it all over again.

That shouldn't happen at Warlord (or Prince or King level). The advantage to the AI isn't enough to make that many units within the first 80 turns. Hell, that never even happens on Immortal. Yes, the AI will have a surprisingly/******edly large army early on, but never even close to that.

Worst I ever saw was in a recent Rome-Immortal-Epic-Giant Earth, Napoleon comes at me in turn ~100 with 6 archers, 6 warriors, 2 swordsmen and a spearman. Because I had a nice choke point between them and my nearest city, they could never get close. I literally held with a promoted Legion and 1 archer. They had a long way around through a CS ally of mine, but the CS plus 2 of my archers would smoke him before he could get anything into my territory.

I was also having issues with the game crashing. I found that by lowering the graphics settings a notch that it stopped doing it.

Also, I have been having more success being friends with AI. Some will still backstab you, but otherwise if you treat them like a friend - denounce who they denounce, give them stuff when they ask (unless it is ridiculous), and generally giving them good deals in trade they will be friendly. I once took Alexander who was hostile and gradually won him over to friendly by liberating his cities from another civ, trading him resources at 75% value, denouncing his enemies and just generally standing up for him, that he eventually came around and we were friends.

The thing is that AI now spends his money as it comes apparently, in units inly or mostly

I find this a stupid mechanic;
Firaxis cannot find a middle point
Either the AI lets his capital die while sitting on 10000 gold or he has a huge not virtually possible army and can never sign an RA because he lacks money
I mean, seriously

In the middle of a similar experience now. Rome-Immortal-Epic-Giant Earth. Everyone in Western Asia, Europe and Africa has been at on-again, off-again war for 5000 years. Then, in 1728, China completes the Manhattan Project. Holywtf.

both of your games sound equally awesome to play

I have to agree - Playing a Mongolia map terra right now that I wanted to play diplomatically (so much for that...) where I have been at war with every civ in game by turn 126 (Standard pace) except one - I have only declared war once this game, every other declaration has been on me stunting my tech but meh Ill keep on. And if I make peace with anyone not taking any of their cities they will denounce me right after. All those wars/denouncements prevent me from maintaining any friends at the moment. I have had 3 decs of friendship so far... all of them backstabbed. Worst of all is 2 of them gave me a Research Agreement... then backstabbed me both with ~ 5 turns.
======

I should post a Screeny of my map but I have fought at times a 5 front war on a small landmass on this map that it just gets annoyingly stunty. I have Keshiks at the moment but I have no desire to eliminate my opponents this game (I have the map set to only Time/Diplo Victories) which is very annoying for me. I might just take out a capital or two to make a few civs harmless because there is no other way they will let me live in god darn peace.

The problem I have noticed is if you get stuck near a bunch of civs early on they will denounce you. Those denouncements will dampen relations with other civs. If they war you and enough civs war you, you can get stuck in an everlasting (Denounced/War) cycle whenever a civ finally accepts peace.

Yeah i was kinda meaning 20 units or so thrown at me over 20-40 turns, not all at once, my bad :) i think it was just getting back into this game. i upped the difficulty and while getting trashed at first i managed to pull it back and annihilate a few people. On to killing Babylon!

In my current game, Carthage and I signed a declaration of friendship early on. Post-patch, I've tended to view early DoFs as a prelude to war, especially with neighbours. The AI will wait for the DoF to expire and then attack, or sometimes backstab by denouncing towards the end of the DoF.

Not Dido. She skipped the whole thing and DoW'ed about five turns into the DoF :lol:

Never seen that before! I knew it was possible, but it always happened to other people... best of all, apparently when the AI does that, it doesn't count as a 'backstab'!

But now I have all her cities and the Great Lighthouse, so it's all good.

can never sign an RA because he lacks money I mean, seriously

If he's short cash for an RA, just give it to him :)

I'll pay him 250 for a horse, so he has enough for the RA, and get some positive diplomacy out of it too.

Top Bottom