Let`s all just attack him. Who cares that he`s a good, friendly, neighbour? We don`t.

On Immortal though there should be wars early. It is after all the second hardest difficulty. Things should be difficult.

Of course - its just there is a noticeable difference between aggresiveness post patch that just seems silly. I can still handle immortal - its just that its civ and shouldn't be a king of the hill/outlast kind of game only where dumb AI send wave after wave of zombie hordes while I pick them off without any backstory *ahem may or may not be the wrong game* (even if it is a harder level) I just wish diplomacy would be more fine tuned [a wish everyone has had at some point].

Its why I think those "Paradox" suggestions whenever they pop up here get so much traction. People seem to want "casus belli" and further detailed reasons for war to exist.

This is why most of my games devolve into domination or pseudo-domination (i.e., instances where I'm on the brink of domination, but I choose science for flavor). You need a very strong military to address inevitable AI aggression, and once you've defeated the AI in the field of battle, it's such a waste not to claim the spoils of war (their cities). IMO, playing a peaceful game nowadays is almost impossible.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see why people hated the Vanilla AI aggressiveness even though current games have very clear cut reasons for going to war (covet wonderlands/early wars involving ruins and workers/constant DOWage by me). Now apparently they tweaked Gandhi to be backstabbing warmonger even when not on Domination-mode.:(

So this patch would be a step down, amirite?

One thing I noticed is that location has a lot to do with it. In my current TERRA game (Marathon/Immortal) playing as Polynesia, I pretty much left the old world and settled all by myself in the new world. I even went to war with Rome pretty early on, just to get a worker to bring back with me to the new world. So essentially, I started the game as a warmonger.

However, no one has declared war on me, even though it's currently the early Renaissance and I only have 1 city with 2 soldiers. It may that the AI knows that if it declares war on me, it has no way of physically getting to me... until Astronomy that is.

just sign a defensive pact, you'll know who's your true friend.

Nobody is your true friend. Ever. And every time I sign a defensive pact, the civ I sign it with invariably decides to unilaterally go to war with some other civ that is a good friendly trading partner with me- or was up until I was forced to go to war with them by my stupid and crazy defense pact co-signer. Defense pacts are for the birds.

Well started a new game and built as fast as i could, but made sure I had some archers and warriors first. I decided not to bother with wonders, (though I like having wonders) because it wastes too much time. I built my cities on rivers so i can use the smiley religion (for happiness) and chose Liberty which I don`t normally, but it helped.

Met Alexander, but knowing his reputation I was ready for a fight and one came as he quite soon declared war on me.

Meanwhile, i met Boudica whom was quite close to my borders- Another potential gangbang problem. I didn`t want a war on two fronts so buttered her up by giving her horses and copper for nothing. She seemed to like this, wanting to be Friends and asking for the same thing whenever the agreement ended.

This allowed me to destroy Alexander as I knew he wasn`t going to stop. I was willing to suffer any penalty, "What kind of creature are you?" he asked in defeat. The kind that`s had enough of being attacked unprovoked!

So far, so good. Still friends with Boudica and only just met Spain and nebuchadnezzar. If I have to I`ll give free gifts to them to avoid a war on several fronts.

I have of course a strong military presence and my happiness is only 2 smiles in the red and that will soon go once the Courthouse for captured sparta and Athens are built.

Thanks to all for their comments. :)

As some people said its about expanding FAST. I love to expand a high speed and since the patch this means the AI is pissed at me. Instead of getting angry why not just expand as well? Hmm?

I think the AI should be a bit more aggressive but I thin its gone just a little to far in the last patch.

I play Emperor.

As some people said its about expanding FAST. I love to expand a high speed and since the patch this means the AI is pissed at me. Instead of getting angry why not just expand as well? Hmm?

I think the AI should be a bit more aggressive but I thin its gone just a little to far in the last patch.

I play Emperor.

You can expand fast, but you have to make sure that you are not the only one benefiting from your aggression. Like Socratatus just did, you have to be willing to give 1 or 2 neighbors a good deal in return. This won't work with every Civ (like Greece) but it will with India, for example.

On free gifts, no need to go overboard. 1 free horse, or a below market trade of a luxury, should suffice to get the "we've traded recently" bump. Even a 1 gpt gift works.

On free gifts, no need to go overboard. 1 free horse, or a below market trade of a luxury, should suffice to get the "we've traded recently" bump. Even a 1 gpt gift works.

True, but I think there are different levels of "we have traded recently". A better gift will have a better impact, but there is a ceiling of course. I'm not 100% positive on this but I would put money on it.

im trying to learn not to rage-quit after losing 1 city let alone staying in to the bitter end. huge props on the 'stick-to-it-iveness'.

im trying to learn not to rage-quit after losing 1 city let alone staying in to the bitter end. huge props on the 'stick-to-it-iveness'.

I always stick to the bitter end, but I must admit it isn`t fun. Civ 5 is one of those games where I whoop for joy when I take a city and thump the table when I lose a city.

They are so hard to take back, but that`s ok.

Top Bottom