Was WWII a War that needed to be fought?

Was WWII Needed?

• Yes

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Sarevok

Civ3 Scenario Creator
Was wwII a war that this world needed to fight? Give a vote on it and explain your reasoning on the subject. I want good solid reasoning and not some offshoot comment.

If I had to give an opinion, I would say that although WWI was a totally stupid war, WW2 was about the freedom of the world, and was something the world needed to experience not only to learn the complete horrors of war, but also to free the world of Fascist occupation.

The Axis didn't need to fight the war, but the Allies surely did for the obvious reasons.

The poll is highly flawed, in that I am forced to vote "yes" because the allies had to defend themselves, but at the same time, the axis certainly did not have to start it.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
The Soviet Union would ultimately start a war regardless of the abscense of Hitler or Mussolini.

But that would have been a different war. And in my opinion an easier war to fight, with western Europe being able to concentrate on the Soviets. It is, however, distasteful to think of having to side with Hitler.

So if the Soviet Union was the protagonist, we'd still be calling it the Second World War if we had the swidespread fighting that took place in the actual World War II. So....same deal, for this argument's sake.

I'm saying that in any event, there would have been another Great War sooner or later, and it would have been most definently victorious for the Western Allies.

The confusing part would be what happens in the Pacific? Would Japan have even bothered attacking the harbor?

Maybe, maybe not. The Americans had their influence and power in the Pacific through the Philipines. But that's another argument for another thread.

I woould have to say no. If France didn't act all so high and mighty and cripple Germany with the Treaty of Versaillies at the end of World War One, Hilter most likely would of died an angsty painter.

The confusing part would be what happens in the Pacific? Would Japan have even bothered attacking the harbor?
unlikely. they were just being opportunistic.

No, or at least no in the manner it was faught. The Birtish, Russians, and French had plenty of opportunities to confront Germany but they didn't. In Asia the Japanese were in the war long before most people think it began. If it wern't for the American embargo and the Europeans fighting amongst themselves then the Pacific part of the war would have ended sooner.

I'm saying that in any event, there would have been another Great War sooner or later, and it would have been most definently victorious for the Western Allies.

I suppose if you use the "Great War" idea, but I think the thread's author was referring to the fight against the Axis.

I do not think Japan would have attacked the harbour. Even though they made some absolutely fantastic strategic blunders in WWII (shocking the Americans so much, that they enter the war and crush the Axis), they would not have been lost upon them the opportunity to cut a good chunk out of the Soviet pie.

Yes, it needed to be fought. But not in the manner that it was.
There is a school of thought which holds that the policy of unconditional surrender did turn out to be more of a hindrance than a help...certainly an alliance of convenience between a post Hitler Germany and the Western Allies against the Red Beast would have created a better course of events than feeding and supplying what remained very much the big foe. Potential was turned to actual.

Getting into bed with the devil in order to defeat a mutual obstruction is one thing, but it often leads to painful long lasting burns in delicate places when he tries to snuggle in afterwards.

I still am not able to understand why Japan would not help crush the Soviets if they truly did want to win the war.

A rather simple one word answer: China.

China and just about all of Southeast Asia....those were the prizes...I would think anyway.

Yep. But further, the Japanese had been given a bloody nose by the Soviets in 1939 in the Far East, and the majority of their army was tied down in China and points south (not to mention the forces needed to garrison the massive empire that it had gained in its early offensives).
Essentially, Japan was primarily a naval power, and its hopes of any victory were to come from that arm. That arm could not affect the Soviets in any serious way.

From a British point of view this war did not need to be fought. Nazi Germany was not a direct threat to our island. In fact, Hitler wanted an alliance with us so long as he got a free hand in continental Europe. However despite the obvious benefits of France being under German control we could not let the Nazis take over Europe. So we did not need to fight the war but we could not realistically do anything but fight it.

Top Bottom