Welcome Center, Meta Index, and Q&A

Shaitan

der Besucher
Welcome to the Civilization 3 Game of Democracy, Game #2. You have entered the lands of Fanatika, a self-determining democracy. Feel free to browse around to get a feel for the land or jump right in with our guided tour:

Our first stop is the Main Forum. This is where critical items such as the rules and terrain maps are located. Let's stop at the Citizen Registry where you can become a Fanatiker by making a simple post. In this forum we also have The Rules and an excellent Guide to them. The Rules thread also includes the results of our monthly elections. A companion to the rules is The Judicial Log. This is where our Chief Justice posts official clarifications on the rules. You'll also find a handy place to post Needed Stuff when you need a Moderator's help.

Our second stop is the Citizen's Sub-Forum. This is the place to go for conversations on all of the game's topics. Looks pretty busy, doesn't it? It's easy to keep track of new conversations by subscribing to the Discussion Registry thread. You can also take a look at our Citizen Groups. These are where people with similar game goals gather to discuss strategy, lobbying and how to get their goals going. Perhaps you'd like to joing a group?

Our Government Sub-Forum contains all of the office threads of our Leaders. The Budget thread is also here. You can't keep the government out of the piggy bank even in a virtual world!

The Polls Sub-Forum is where you'll find all of our...eh...polls. Citizens and Leaders alike post polls here to find public opinion, propose changes to the rules and make decisions for the game. Just like the Citizen forum, this one has a Registry to make keeping up with new polls much easier. Just subscribe to the registry thread and you'll be informed whenever somebody registers their poll.

Last, but certainly not least, is our RPG Sub-Forum. Here you can find the Role Playing Game that is a companion to the Demo game itself as well as Heritage Threads such as our newspaper and art galleries. You'll also find offices for our Non-Elected Officials and threads for many of our individual Cities.

We hope that you've enjoyed your tour and that you will stay with us for a while. Below, you'll find a tidy meta index that includes all the links from your tour in a handy alphabetic list. Below that is our Q&A area where we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our country (Fanatika), its people (Fanatiker) or the game that they all live within.

This post is a collection of the questions being asked in the thread. Periodically, we will gather the questions that have been posed and put them in this thread.

Please feel free to post your questions in this thread. The only foolish question is the one that goes unasked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Where is the [insert name] thread that was in Demogame 1?
A. There has been a good amount of reorganization for this game. Check through the Welcome Center or Meta Index (first 2 posts in this thread) to find your missing thread.

Q. What civ is Fanatika based on?
A. We are using the German tribe to represent us in the actual Civ3 game.

Q. Why aren't there any political parties?
A. The populous as a whole does not want them. Each democracy game that has used political parties has had serious problems because of parties. See this discussion for details.

Q. Does the democracy game have a web site?
A. Yes. It is the process of being built right now. The site is here. To participate in construction of the site and to give feedback, see this thread.

Q. Where can I find info on the cities, ie what they have, what they're building and also our total income expenses, what they're made of, and all the resources we have and we are are importing or exporting.
A. Each city has its own thread. You can find an index of the cities here. Stats for the entire civ can be found in the Historical Statistics and Turn Chat Schedule thread. Import and export information can be found in the Trade Department thread. See the Government Thread Index to find the Trade Department thread for the current term.

Q. What cities are available to move to? What provinces?
A. Geographic information can be found in the Cartographic Office thread.

Q. What is a chat turn and how do I participate?
A. A chat turn is when the President or Designated Player (DP) plays out the actual game using the instructions posted by the various leaders. This is done with input and feedback from leaders and citizens in an IRC channel. The host for this chanel is irc.webmaster.com and the room is #demogame.

Q. What is a mayor? I can't find them in the constitution. Do ALL cities have mayors? Who appoints them?
A. A mayor is an unelected officer that looks after a single city. There are no specific rules for becoming a mayor. The position can simply be taken if there is no competition for the spot. Often, mayors are appointed by the governor of their province.

Q. How do I get a public position?
A. Elections are held each month for all of the leadership positions. Nominations begin on the 24th and elections end at the end of the month with new terms always beginning on the 1st. Self nomination is allowed so all you need to do to get into the process is post a nomination for yourself in the appropriate nomination thread when it opens.

Q. What is an official and how do I get to be one?
A. An official is a citizen who helps a leader run a department by managing a particular aspect of the game, gathering and collating information or other helpful and necessary tasks. Officials are generally appointed by the various leaders. To become a leader you can request the position in a vacant office or offer your services in a new office.

Q. As soon as i register for a city, am i automatically there, regardless of anything else?
A. Yes. If you are playing in the RPG game as well, you will automatically get a small home there as well.

Q. When is each turn chat? Can any citizen participate?
A. The current turn chat schedule can be found in the Historical Statistics and Turn Chat Index thread. All citizens are welcome to particpate in the turn chats.

Q. Where can i get a coppy of the latest saved game?
A. The saved games are kept in the turn chat instruction threads. To find the most recent turn chat instruction thread see the Historical Statistics and Turn Chat Index thread.

Q. Do you have to be a citizen before you can apply for a government job?
A. Yes, you must be a citizen before you can apply for a job or participate in the RPG.

Q. How often are turns done?
A. Normally there are 2 or 3 chats per week. Approximately 10 turns are played during each chat.

Q. As a mayor, do I need to attend the turn chats, or should I just discuss things with my governor?
A. There are no requirements for any official or leader to attend the turn chats. As a mayor, your authority comes from and through the governor so you will not be able to issue directives in the turn chat. You can, of course, provide feedback and ideas.

Q. I would like to volunteer my city to prebuild for a spaceship part or wonder. How would I alert the national government without stepping on anyone's toes?
A. Contact your provincial governor. The governor can coordinate with the Domestic Deputy to allow construction of these special restricted improvements.

I think this is the place to put this question the problemm is when i have downloaded the turn but there is nothing in the zip file

nope win:me

Where do I put suggestions for a new concept in the demogame??

I would like to play this game but I'm not sure that I understand it properly.
Is there a demo game fo dummies thread somewhere?

Originally posted by Sir Eric
I would like to play this game but I'm not sure that I understand it properly.
Is there a demo game fo dummies thread somewhere?
This is it right here (as much as we have, anyway). You're catching us right at the end of the game as there are probably only a single turn or two until we achieve a domination victory. On the other hand, you're here at the perfect time for the next demogame which will be starting shortly after this one ends.

The demogame is basically a whole bunch of people who cooperate to play a one person game of Civ 3. We elect leaders each month to fill the positions equivalent to those in the Advisor screen of the game (Domestic, Science, etc) as well as a President who is responsible for playing the game and 3 Judiciary members who keep things going according to the rules. Everybody else contributes with ideas and discussion and feedback to direct our civilization where we want it to go.

You must also not forget our glorius RPG part :D

So if I joined in for the next game I would join as a citizen and join in the discussions on what action gets taken eg: if we meet another civ that is significantly smaller than us do we attack or trade?
Sounds like a great concept.

Will it matter that I am on the other side of the world (Sydney) as I can only check by emails at night (I think I'm 13 hours ahead of east coast USA)?

That's right, Sir Eric. As the entire set of leadership positions will be filled by election you can also run for those. You could easily start out the new demogame with an official government job.

We have quite a few players from around the world including a couple Aussies so you shouldn't have any problem there.

Top Bottom