Firaxis' official Gods & Kings site now up and running!

I think the two reasons why Byzantium has Theodora is :
A. To balance out Male:Female ratio (including Spain, there are 5 female and 5 male leaders
B. Eye-Candy for the Straight Male Demographic.

I think the two reasons why Byzantium has Theodora is :
A. To balance out Male:Female ratio (including Spain, there are 5 female and 5 male leaders
B. Eye-Candy for the Straight Male Demographic.

I definitely think it's ok to do A. as long as the leader is plausible. Theodora was a big deal if not empress regent so I pass her with flying colours. After all, Gandhi never ruled India.

B. I'm more conflicted... but that's probably because all I get is Alex. :D

Moderator Action: After moderator discussion, if you wish to discuss Theodora, please use this, or another appropriate thread. It's off-topic here.

Secondly, though the choice of words in spyroware's post on the last page may be regrettable, we believe it was more an attempt to enunciate an opinion about Theodora's position vis-à-vis the Byzantine court (or some other similar historical opinion), however ill-advised that opinion may be, rather than an attempt to be demeaning towards women. So we'll give it the benefit of the doubt, with the warning that if you're going to throw such language around you need ensure that you're doing so tastefully and inoffensively.

If you find the post offensive, that's understandable, but please don't feel the need to discuss it or draw further attention to it. Let's just move along from it. Thanks.

Pacal cracks me up. His demeanor does not match his outfit at all.

The way he talks now, I imagine him saying, "Hello. I'm from Mutual of Omaha. Please have a seat. Can I get you a glass of water?"

While his outfit more says, "HEY! I HAVE A TUB OF COCAINE THAT ME AND BOB ARE PLANNING TO SWIM IN AFTER I'M DONE WASTING MY TIME WITH YOU! GOD DAMN! I'M HOT!"

If I saw this guy walking down the street, I definitely would think that everything that came from his mouth would be loud, obnoxious, and ended in an exclamation point.

Forever more when I see him introduce himself, I'm gonna laugh and reply, "Why, yes. I would like a glass of water. Thank you kind sir."

LOL. If I saw him walking down the steet, I'd cross the road!

I definitely think it's ok to do A. as long as the leader is plausible. Theodora was a big deal if not empress regent so I pass her with flying colours. After all, Gandhi never ruled India.

Well, to be fair, plenty if people (myself included) don't think Gandhi should be a leader either. That always struck me as a poor choice both for believability and gameplay purposes (i.e. how do you make him representative of his real-life counterpart and not a complete pushover? According to CiV, the answer is "by making him a bloodthirsty warmonger." Uh, OK...) Plus that always seemed like one of the many instances of an element included not because it really fits/works/makes sense, but rather because it is more iconic to white people than the alternatives. I can see a case being made for someone like Nelson Mandela, since he was a social leader who helped his country gain its sovereignty and then also became a political leader, though.

Sorry. /endrant

B. I'm more conflicted... but that's probably because all I get is Alex. :D

Aww, that sucks in its own right. That's like if the only eye candy offered to the straight female demographic were Neil Patrick Harris. :lol:

Aww, that sucks in its own right. That's like if the only eye candy offered to the straight female demographic were Neil Patrick Harris. :lol:

Haha! I had totally forgotten that aspect of Alexander! Luckily, I'm not in the 'straight female demographic' and am delighted. :lol:

You're point about Gandhi being 'the guy white people know about' is really interesting. I've never thought of it that way.

I guess I give Theodora more leeway because she was included for more noble reasons.
Overall, historical accuracy is not a priority for me. I see it more as flavour for the game then something that's central. I can see where you're coming from, though.

Lol I didn't mean to offend anyone or come off as sexist. I thought people knew she was actually a prostitute. Of course if someone didn't know he would be startled by the comment.. But I remember a couple years back someone had called Cleo a bad choice for the Egyptian ruler as she was a 'Greek whore' but no one was offended since it was a joke. (And Cleopatra wasn't even a prostitute!)

My peeve was not that about being who she was of course, but the way that very thing is channeled in her sequence, especially her closing line: 'I'm Theodora, the friend of Byzantium' (not ruler/leader/queen-empress/soul/mother - friend). And since people talk in this thread about what the leaders say and how aristocratic or not they sound I saw it fit to discuss it here.

Anyway I dont dare use necromancy for that other thread, so I'll leave it here.

Well, to be fair, plenty if people (myself included) don't think Gandhi should be a leader either. That always struck me as a poor choice both for believability and gameplay purposes (i.e. how do you make him representative of his real-life counterpart and not a complete pushover? According to CiV, the answer is "by making him a bloodthirsty warmonger." Uh, OK...) Plus that always seemed like one of the many instances of an element included not because it really fits/works/makes sense, but rather because it is more iconic to white people than the alternatives. I can see a case being made for someone like Nelson Mandela, since he was a social leader who helped his country gain its sovereignty and then also became a political leader, though.

Sorry. /endrant

So true.. It is a western game with a western view of the world, there's really nothing we can do about that. I just hope we don't have to see a Tibetan civ with Dalai Lama as the leader.

Top Bottom