Turn 81 DCL/IDS Series

Fluphen Azine

What is Fluphen Azine?
This idea was suggested by kb27787!

Players who wish to participate will post save files starting on turn 81 with the first 80 turns already being played. Let us limit it to only the DCL 16 & IDS 7 games and all future DCL & IDS games.

I have decided to start with the IDS 7 Rome Game! I ended up losing on Turn 376/377 depending on how you look at it! I know that this game can be won from this point but I ended up losing the race. I am sure most players will not like the position they are in from this point but those who wish to attempt the game let us see what they can do! I do not expect many downloads but perhaps someone can start the game from turn 0 and get the empire rolling with a stronger start so more players will attempt! You can find this start file on the IDS thread on page 6. You can also find the Turn 0 DCL 16 China File on page 1. I am looking forward to someone else playing the first 80 turns and posting up the save file from turn 81 so I can get back in the game!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538962&page=6 IDS 7 Rome

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=541394 DCL 16 China

Map Packs should be and are disabled!

Screenshot of Turn 81

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Turn 81 IDS 7 Rome.Civ5Save
    912.8 KB · Views: 28
You're right, I don't like this position.

My first thought was 'Dude, where's my units?'.

I'll have to pass on playing it because my second thought was 'Fractal. Ugh.'

But it's nothing personal. I remember Acken or Glory7 making their Liberty finish turn save available for DCL #1 and I didn't get far with that either. DoW'd 2 turns later by France when I was in a dreadful position to do much about it, as I remember. Watching another player's LP is one thing, taking over their save is something else, unless their play style is similar enough, and /or they tell you exactly what their thinking was and what they were trying to achieve. Looking at build queues and tech trees can give you an inkling but diplo and unit movement doesn't really translate to a 'plan'.

Especially if you have NO UNITS! :p

You're right, I don't like this position.

My first thought was 'Dude, where's my units?'.

I'll have to pass on playing it because my second thought was 'Fractal. Ugh.'

But it's nothing personal. I remember Acken or Glory7 making their Liberty finish turn save available for DCL #1 and I didn't get far with that either. DoW'd 2 turns later by France when I was in a dreadful position to do much about it, as I remember. Watching another player's LP is one thing, taking over their save is something else, unless their play style is similar enough, and /or they tell you exactly what their thinking was and what they were trying to achieve. Looking at build queues and tech trees can give you an inkling but diplo and unit movement doesn't really translate to a 'plan'.

Especially if you have NO UNITS! :p

Edit: I have a pretty detailed write up on the IDS thread under this games so it is not hard to see what I was thinking and my plan. I also have a full detailed Build Order for my Capital and Expo so you can see when I built my army. I also had a CS ally giving me some units as well to get on with the war. I was not worried about an attack from my northern neighbor since his is usually a loyal DOF.

The first spoiler is part of my write up suggesting some of my plan for War.

Spoiler :
My new plan is to start building units late and I got Almaty on my side for reinforcements! I want to try to get USA to war with Ethiopia but I might have to settle for Pacal. I would like to keep Ethiopia as my DOF since they will be giving me their Religion and I would love to kill USA onto Pacal for all those Wonders!

So basically I made sure to ally up with all 3 CS's next to me. They had a lot of units and I did not want USA to get one of them before I started the war. I waited for the DOF to expire and wish I could of started the war ten turns earlier but I figured it was better not to back stab in this situation. Philadelphia fell on turn 141 and I am in a bit of a stalemate with trying to take Washington D.C. for the time being. It will be very nice to get that capital with so many Wonders. Before the war I decided to try something I haven't done before since I need some extra gold. I worked the Market slot in the capital to pop a GM for my first GP and I used it for a trade mission with Zanzibar to get 500 gold and 30 influence. I know the GS is stronger but I think this is viable and I needed the influence and gold more.

Spoiler :
I have a Spearman lol !! Units came online pretty fast if you read my write up for this game. I took down Phily no problem but had some issues with Washington D.C. and I did even take a bunch of other cities as well as Palenque.

When this idea was first suggested I said it would be very difficult for someone to take another persons game over since everyone has a different style. It is very difficult for me to take over anyones game where I am not in my comfort zone but that is what this idea is all about. It does not make any sense to take over a game where it is a perfect set up and you basically can't lose.

I already knew nobody is going to want to play this out from this file but I thought what the heck I will get this idea rolling and hope someone else posts up a turn 81 save file that I can try out. So that being said all you have to do is play 80 turns of the IDS 7 Rome game and post up the file and be done with the game. You do not even have to finish and the first 80 turns only takes about 45 mins or so to complete.

Watching another player's LP is one thing, taking over their save is something else, unless their play style is similar enough, and /or they tell you exactly what their thinking was and what they were trying to achieve.

Heck, I have a tough time picking up from my own games if I've been away for a few days.

@ Shark Diver

Oh you are the prime candidate!! I know you started this game so I am hoping you have the turn 81 save file and post it up asap so I can give it a go. I have my auto save files at 400 so I get all the files saved for one game.

Edit: Im guessing if you have it set to only 40 auto saves with 1 turn. Playing another game is going to force out your Rome files. No problem. Your next IDS or DCL game try to save the turn 81 file so I can play them out!

@ Shark Diver

Oh you are the prime candidate!! I know you started this game so I am hoping you have the turn 81 save file and post it up asap so I can give it a go. I have my auto save files at 400 so I get all the files saved for one game.

Hah!. I think I have mine at t40-something. Will have to go back and look when I get the chance. Focusing on finishing Dutch game when/if I have free time this week before next DCL comes out. (I have rarely played a game as slowly……10 minutes per turn with all of the horse trading I'm having to do just to stay afloat…..not to mention naval battles take me forever as I calculate the tactics way too much).

Another turn 81 Start where most players will not be happy with the current situation. However, I am trying to jump start this idea and will post another file.
I think it is a better set up compared to the Rome file but it will be a challenge as well with hardly no units!

Warning: I needed to avoid growth in the Capital for a turn or two so remember that it is clicked on.
I also just gave Denmark a huge trade to wage war on Russia on turn 80 right before this save.

Map Packs should be and are disabled!

Screenshot of Turn 81

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Turn 81 DCL 17 Germany.Civ5Save
    947.4 KB · Views: 31
Fluphen:
I'll play yours if you'll play mine :lol:
I'll play later this evening to t80..

btw Fluphen, you're trying to spread yourself way too thin IMO... your units would have a hard time fighting even barbs: all Harald needs to do is walk in after 10 turns (if his heart is not in fighting Russia) with his units and you are toast.

Spoiler :

t80... I have only one city, but NC is done, happy, relatively rich, (and safe) empire with good infrastructure in the form of workers and units, great diplomacy having several friends, including the barbarian (who wiped Russia out under 50 turns) and a settler coming out next turn as well as loads of land to the south and west to expand into.

Attachments

• germany DC t80.Civ5Save
    940.4 KB · Views: 51
Fluphen:
I'll play yours if you'll play mine :lol:
I'll play later this evening to t80..

btw Fluphen, you're trying to spread yourself way too thin IMO... your units would have a hard time fighting even barbs: all Harald needs to do is walk in after 10 turns (if his heart is not in fighting Russia) with his units and you are toast.

Not only will I play your game out to the bitter end but I would most likely play anyones turn 80/81 save file out. I find it fun!

About my stlye....

Spoiler :
(Oh... I gave Denmark Free Horses, Iron, and Aluminum the whole game as you guys suggested from the thread "How to Deal With Your Neighbor Deity!")

You must of not read what I did. Not only did Denmark fight Russia and wipe her out but I had to pay dearly to get him to fight her the second time on turn 80! One turn away from the save file so you have to start the game with a large trade which is two luxes and 13gpt to Denmark to war Russia!

Sometimes I have a huge army at this turn time and I am warring it up! Other times like this game and the IDS 7 Rome game I am playing a Dipolmatic game and am not worried about an attack. Of course you are correct Denmark could attack and kill me in a heartbeat. Heck a CS could roll me in this spot. However, I ended up freeing Denmark's worker which made us best buds until I decide to attack him. I also put him at war with everyone the whole game except for Egypt and this made him my DOF and send me all his trade routes. I also put him to war with two CS's and he ended up capturing one of them making the world hate him more. I do not worry about a back stab from him and expect him to be my DOF the whole game. Everyone is my DOF except England by the way.

About Your Style...

Your at 1 city with more units and I do not like it lol! However that is what this thread is all about! Playing another persons game from turn 81 and dealing with it! It is not going to be easy or comfortable but it is something new, fresh, and fun!

Not only will I play your game out to the bitter end but I would most likely play anyones turn 80/81 save file out. I find it fun!

Heh, I doubt :D But in any case here is my T80 save :)

Spoiler :

4 Cities, tradition finished T77. At war with Denmark. Enough troops to hold for awhile but pretty much certain you will need more. Peace is possible. My scouting was not super good - only 1 scout left but it will probably be enough.

I haven't played further, so good luck :lol:

Attachments

• t80_sun_gerdcl.Civ5Save
    950.1 KB · Views: 33
  • t80_ger.jpg
    t80_ger.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 676
@Sun

Spoiler :

That's very similar to what I did in my slow SV. Differences were I had more archers (from barb camps) and had gone the left side of Honor before finishing Tradition so I had a GG and took longer to finish Tradition.

Also, where you put Cologne, I put my 5th city 2 spots away to get the coast. I settled 4th city in SW corner to get Cerro gold……only reason I survived Harold as I had just enough gold to upgrade to C-bows.

I won't play yours as the similarity is pretty strong, but you've got a winnable game. You'll tech better than I did.

I just finished up the DCL 17 Germany map and am going to take a break but I will get to both of your games very soon. Thanks for posting up and trying something new!

kb27787's Turn 80 File/Game... Up to Turn 225

Spoiler :
Introduction: What can I say? I was surprised that Hamburg was in the hands of Pacal. It was nice that a Settler was 1 turn from ready. Everyone was friendly and I needed to start to make some wars. I got the Vikings to DOW Pacal, Vilnius, Hawaii, England and even Egypt in the next 15 turns or so. It wasn't long and the Vikings wiped out the Mayans. I loved that eventually down the road Hawaii's Capital was taken out by Hong Kong (CS) and kept it!!

So I tried for the Oracle thinking I could get it since it went off late in my original game. However, England built it on turn 83. After that miss I went and built 2 settlers and got up a 4 city Tradition Empire sort of. It was nice not having to worry about the NC and workers were a plenty and growth in the capital was nice.

Build Order: 2x Settler, Water Mill, Writers Guild, Caravan, Rush Buy University, Garden, Artists Guild, 2x Caravan, NE (Delay), PT (Delay), WF (360 Hammers), PT (168), Public School, NE, IW, Hanse, Stone Works, Cannon, Artillery, Circus, EIC, Factory.

Tech Path: Sailing, BW, Civil Service, Bee to Education, Acoustics, Guilds, Chivalry, Banking, Architecture, (I stole Metal Casting, Optics, Compass, Astronomy), Beeline to Radio, Beeline To Dynamite, (I stole Navigation & Archeology), Flight.

I messed up bulbing an artist and had to take Electricity instead of waiting for Radio but England would of still beat me to Order by 1 turn. I waited 7 turns or so and got to 2nd Ideology and took Order even though it was only 1 free tenet. I wanted to try for Diplomatic Victory but it looks like SV instead. England is teching pretty strong. She crushed me to the Kremlin.

I think I got into Dynamite around turn 200 and I started to press into Denmark. Kuala Lumpur was amazing and captured two cities of the Vikings! I thought Ethiopia was still at war with the Vikings and sold the Capital to them thinking I would get it right back but they were at peace. I did get 6700 gold for that trade though which i used to by some buildings and ally up with some CS's!

The game is pretty fun and when I finish I will have a good time looking at how kb27787 played his game out compared to mine.

Diplomatic Victory Turn 288... kb27787's turn 80 file start!

(I find it funny you can make Germany the World Leader and I haven't won Diplo for awhile so I thought why not?)

Spoiler :
Long Story short... I did not want to wait another 20 turns for my diplomats so when I revived Russia they voted 4 votes for me and I locked up 36 votes with war on most civs to get 40 votes to win now. I could of went SV as well. I mis-timed Globalization so I just did it this cheesy way. I had fun taking all of Denmark's cities though and selling them each for about 7000 gold. I took all but one and liberated 3 CS's! Fun game and fun to start with another players first 80 turns!

Your turn next kb27787... you said I play yours and you will play mine!

One down and one to go! I will get to your start very soon sun8119! Your start does not look very bad at all!

Not so bad Sun8119... I did not like that I was at war with Denmark from the get go but it was pretty easy to get a peace deal for 8gpt from them. I decided to take the deal since I couldn't get anyone to war with them and they started to get pikes up and I was 6 turns away from Machinery. So I just upgraded and am looking forward to taking the Capital. I did put him to war with a CS (Vins) and hope he captures it making the world hate him. After that I will most likely tech up and see what is next! I did notice you have all your cities set to default but I prefer setting it to production and locking down certain hexes! All this is just what the player prefers and I think you can make any of it work out to a victory! I am not sure if I am having trouble with your file though because at first it took very long to load the game and after about 30 turns the game crashed which usually never happens to me.

EDIT: Diplomatic Victory Turn 292/sun8119s Turn 80 Save File!

Spoiler :
The game was a bit different with Russia being more of a powerhouse and Denmark was taken out early. In this game the AI was not teching nearly as good as the last 2 that I played but it was fun as well. I got to capture the Mayans Capital and Ethiopia wiped them out. Egypt was crushed by England and Hawaii was a non factor!

I think this idea is fun but not very difficult. I find it is pretty easy taking over the game from turn 80 and still winning no matter what. I seen a lot of remarks about not being able to do as much on Deity as Immortal but I find that they both are very easy to win at and Deity play has more options than most players think. Anyways... I think this will end the turn 81 DCL/IDS series for me since I notice no players have real interest and I find it just as easy as starting from turn 0 with the exception of what is going on here at first!?

this is an interesting idea! i may serve up some t81 starts for whoever has the time to inherit a situation. i rarely had time to do a whole game but i can easily do the first 80t.

I think I like playing the first 80 turns more so than finishing the game out. The only problem is that I am most likely the only person to play them out. However, I think other players will be more likely to play your turns out more so than my starts! I do know that kb27787 is going to finish out my start but I'm not sure how many times he would want to play my starts out since it usually ends up in an SV which does not make him happy lol!

i will try to do these on DCLs others havent done 80t on. or take requests for any if they wish. at the very least id only expect some to open and look at the save, not necessarily play it out. neat idea for this though. reminds me of those gotms we did where you start in a later era.

Spoiler :
Seriously, no offense but some of the city locations were so ugly... and the not-so-ugly ones were too indefensible/close to the barbarian for my comfort...
Sold some cities to Ethiopia and made a wall, getting around 1000+ gold and getting the empire back on track... lost Oracle by 2 turns and a disastrous t90+ almost 100 NC... lack of workers coupled with barbs was also quite a problem. All in all, I hate this save! :lol:

First off, I'm quite amazed to think you thought you could fight off raging barbs on deity with a mere single archer and warrior?... swordsmen and CBs came out and you had no other units! (I'm surprised you managed to sneak your settlers to the city spots without getting barbed!)

Not too long into your game, Russia fell. I suppose she also fell in yours (the worst thing was that you had to PAY for something you didn't really want), and Harald turned out to be quite the headache all game because of this. (next time, don't let even El Dorado lure you into forward settling a warmonger... unless you have no choice... here you have lots of land to the west you could've settled instead... where Kaupang is)

Made some sort of an incomplete wall (still has touching borders to the south), btw Cologne has ZERO freshwater and only one unique lux... horrible place to settle. Munich is not much better; they didn't grow that well all game. All in all, probably a huge mistake you let Harald's settler get past you west to settle Kaupang which is by far a much better location,.

Zerkers and XBs at t129... kinda scary right?....

My wall fell because I didn't send units to block in time... doh!

Had to bribe all game... (and was the lone freedom suffering revolutionary wave...) only WW I managed was SoL! (the terrain in Berlin is simply quite bad for wonderwhoring late game) the world at war...

Leaving this radioactive wasteland once called earth to a better place...

I always enjoy people opening up a sentence with "No Offense....But lol!" Anyways I had no trouble with Harold my whole game if you read my write up to the original save. Actually very much the opposite. He was my best friend and I was his only friend in the whole world. As a matter of fact the whole world except for England was my DOF most of the game. It was only when I took all of Harold's cities that he was not my friend anymore and the city that he had built that I blocked for a long time over by Cero was very good since it was his last city and I did not have to genocide him. I also Liberated Russia. When you say I didn't want Denmark to crush Russia you are wrong. That is exactly what I wanted. I also paid for Denmark to go and kill a couple of CS's as well. This makes all the AI's hate that Civ and is very useful for me to put him to war with everyone and leaving me alone sending me all his goodies and even an RA or two. Later, after our DOF expires and I have no use for him anymore I denounce him making the world love me and I go kill him, selling all his cities for large amounts of gold and liberating all CS's and Civs that he decided to genocide.

All this being said your comments are valid for your style of play. I had no problem clearing barbs and actually most of my game I just kept the few units over there to spawn bust which used to be very popular in civ 4. Not ideal for Germany but I did not find the UA very useful for me this game since I was planning on a late game war.

It is safe to say once again that your style and my style are completely different. You have better ideas for a large pop/small city empire and most likely will win in a faster turn time. My game is set up for a more diverse type of game. I want to be able to have some war in my game since I enjoy it. I may even decide late that I want to Dominate the entire world so I tend to focus more on production rather than growth mid game. I am not going to say one way is better than the other. They both show that victory is most likely going to happen either style you choose.

I do not know what you did to upset the Vikings but in my game they were my best friends. I am guessing that the pike that I built to go over and kill a Barb hut that had one of his workers in it was the best thing I did in the game. After rescuing his worker I never had a problem with him and he was a very good DOF sending me all his trade routes.

Top Bottom