Discovering New leaders is very nice.

Socratatus

Emperor
Been playing this game a while now, but due to the random modes I choose and long term game style, it takes a while to discover new Leaders. It`s always a nice treat to come across a new leader or two. Buying the GOTY and G+K togther is real nice since you get all the leaders ready to appear at any time.

Today, in a new campaign, I came across Augustus Caesar (not Juliuis Caesar, interestlingly) and Attila the Hun, whom I just watched a whole , but accurate, drama documentary about.
Very nicely animated and voiced. I liked Caesar`s almost bored, laid back attitude, almost hiding the power behind his rule and the more exciteable and aggressive Attila. Really immersive.

Nice work from the Dev artists there. :goodjob:

I have found Augustus to be represented in a very interesting way. He promoted himself as a warrior, a great military mind. He is almost always represented young and wearing fancy armor showing his military achievements.

The fact he is shown as an older man is very different, and fitting as well. His attitude is one of a man known for war, as well as leaving his empire a better place (his cities are some of the best to take in my experience, for all their buildings...though they aren't normally easy to get), but him sitting, in robes, talking about how he is Ponitfex Maximus of Rome when you meet him, combined with his flavor, really does him historical justice.

Have you met a Gandhi who survived into the late game yet? Gandhi is maybe the most annoying leader for a number of reasons, but he's the most annoying if he manages to prosper into the Atomic Age.

I have found Augustus to be represented in a very interesting way. He promoted himself as a warrior, a great military mind. He is almost always represented young and wearing fancy armor showing his military achievements.

The fact he is shown as an older man is very different, and fitting as well. His attitude is one of a man known for war, as well as leaving his empire a better place (his cities are some of the best to take in my experience, for all their buildings...though they aren't normally easy to get), but him sitting, in robes, talking about how he is Ponitfex Maximus of Rome when you meet him, combined with his flavor, really does him historical justice.

Have you met a Gandhi who survived into the late game yet? Gandhi is maybe the most annoying leader for a number of reasons, but he's the most annoying if he manages to prosper into the Atomic Age.

I agree totally about Caesar. It is smartly done. They could`ve made him all miltary, which would`ve been the easy path, but they didn`t.

I`ve seen Ghandi, nice graphics and animation, but in my games, he`s never survived to be any good in the atomic age, yet.

I've always found the leaders with the most modest appearance to be the most intimidating/impressive. It adds a nice Machiavellian flavor to the game when a plain-clothed Gandhi informs you that you are about to annihilated, as opposed to a lunatic with a sword.

I'm surprised you never came across Caesar, considering he came with the game. Unless I misread and you just started playing the game as a whole very recently.

I've never met Ghandi, and I've been playing since release. I think his actual name is "An unknown civilization has lost their Capital!"

Used to always seem to get Cathy and Alex but now I see Inca PacMan every game.

I'm surprised you never came across Caesar, considering he came with the game. Unless I misread and you just started playing the game as a whole very recently.

Don`t be surprised. Just consider all the variables.
I started playing the game about 2 months ago.

However, I do have the GOTY with G&K. That gives me a whole lot of Leaders to discover, except Korea.

Add to that the random options, I use resulting in various Leaders (plus long games) and that I work it`s very possible not to see some leaders for a very long time. It`s all a roll of the dice.

I have only just now bumped into Blue Tooth of the Vikings! Although I do wonder why I would choose to negotiate with someone standing 10 feet above me in a boat!

my favourites are boudicca and napoleon in terms of immersion. the presentation of both really makes you feel you are out in the open

I love it when you kill a Celtic spy, and Boudicca violently jams her sword into the cart. IMO, best expression of leader frustration in the game.

Actually, that's her defeat screen, you get the same thing when you spread religion against theirs into their cities.

My two favourite leaders are Dido and Isabella.

I saw Boudica early on in one of my first games. nice graphics and all, but less impressed by the sword wielding (I seriously can`t imagine Boudica doing that) and the bit where she jumps up on one leg and rolls her eyes routine is a bit silly. She`d be more impressive if she just sat on a makeshift throne or chariot and had a powerful Iceni warrior guard standing nearby.

There`s also a LOT of liberality taken with her. yes, she was said to have reddish hair and was tall, even man-like, but leader of the Celts? Er, no, it was the Iceni, a place supposedly in present day Yorkshire and she only took position because her Husband and King was killed and daughters violated so, naturally wanted revenge. i`m just glad that they didn`t turn her into a feminist too as Boudica was never a feminist or even knew of the word. She didn`t hate men, she just hated Romans.

However, I like how she speaks a different dialect even if its Welsh.

p.s. i do like the other female leaders though. They are nicely done and quite plausible.

Isabella is my favorite leader. The way she talks is cute, in the same sense that a little puppy or a guinea pig is cute.

I don't like Theodora because she's always yelling "MELL-EE MAY!" at me.

And no, Elizabeth, I am not interested in a trade agreement with England.

Just played my first game of Gods and Kings, and met Pacal, Dido, Gustavus, William of Orange, and Hallie Selassie all in the same game. Also met Kamehameha for the first time.

A flavorful game it was. Except I hate listening to Dido talk. And what is with Kamehameha? His displays are very active but utterly stoic.

Sometimes I think the researchers went to Wikipedia for all there info. I went to check Maria Theresa and she is exactly like in a wiki picture.

I am not sure why they included Dido because as far as I can tell, no one really knows if she was real or not. Some say she was a religious goddess that later was turned human, etc, etc. I just think they plucked out Dido to fill the female slots, much as with Boudica.

I`m still a bit annoyed that no one thought to have a Richard the Lionheart leader or a Winston Churchill Leader.:mad: Ok so Lionheart would be speaking French, but meh.

Sometimes I think the researchers went to Wikipedia for all there info. I went to check Maria Theresa and she is exactly like in a wiki picture.

I am not sure why they included Dido because as far as I can tell, no one really knows if she was real or not. Some say she was a religious goddess that later was turned human, etc, etc. I just think they plucked out Dido to fill the female slots, much as with Boudica.

I`m still a bit annoyed that no one thought to have a Richard the Lionheart leader or a Winston Churchill Leader.:mad: Ok so Lionheart would be speaking French, but meh.

Most of the leader pictures are from art depicting the leader. Sometimes it's TOTALLY inaccurate. Alexander looks like he may have been from a painting 2000 years after he lived, and if Dido was a real person, that's definitely not how she would have looked.

Dido, I figure (and keep in mind no one knows), was simply part of Greek and Roman myth. She was an important figure for those Romans that wanted to see Carthage destroyed after they recovered so quickly from the Second Punic War. Those people got their way in the end, using a part of Dido's story as part of the reason.

I dislike her being in the game, just as I disliked Gilgamesh in Civ4.

England really had to have Elisabeth I. Only Victoria symbolizes a country as Elizabeth does. Not even Washington represents America to the same extent, and then we're talking about a country with a good thousand years less history!

Most of the leader pictures are from art depicting the leader. Sometimes it's TOTALLY inaccurate. Alexander looks like he may have been from a painting 2000 years after he lived, and if Dido was a real person, that's definitely not how she would have looked.

Dido, I figure (and keep in mind no one knows), was simply part of Greek and Roman myth. She was an important figure for those Romans that wanted to see Carthage destroyed after they recovered so quickly from the Second Punic War. Those people got their way in the end, using a part of Dido's story as part of the reason.

I dislike her being in the game, just as I disliked Gilgamesh in Civ4.

England really had to have Elisabeth I. Only Victoria symbolizes a country as Elizabeth does. Not even Washington represents America to the same extent, and then we're talking about a country with a good thousand years less history!

I do agree with you and Elizabeth is certainly a fine choice. Just a Churchill (yes I know he was leader of Britain) or The Lionheart would`ve been nice .

I totally agree about Dido and her look as well.

Just played my first game of Gods and Kings, and met Pacal, Dido, Gustavus, William of Orange, and Hallie Selassie all in the same game. Also met Kamehameha for the first time.

A flavorful game it was. Except I hate listening to Dido talk. And what is with Kamehameha? His displays are very active but utterly stoic.
You are lucky you only met Kamehameha once. He has been in EVERY SINGLE game of mine since I got the Polynesian DLC. Seeing him just makes me cringe and consider quitting the game since I am so absolutely sick of having him lead the World Friendship League against me. Today I had it and turned off the Polynesian DLC, I hate him so much. Beware of him, just beware

Yeah, everyone has the leader they never ever see. For me, America *never* appeared in my games. It came to a point where I had to insert him into a game of "Civs I never seem to meet." (And Babylon still got wiped out before I met them that game! haha.)

Since then, Washington has popped in on a few games, but still remains pretty illusive. Sweeden doesn't show up much post-G&K for me.

Top Bottom