I want to start a game [OCC] With nothing but "failure" AIs, but...

That's funny, Maya is almost always a runaway civ in my games. :D

I've only once managed to find him before he was gobbled by a neighbour. The other time, I was his neighbour ;)

I have never seen Babylon have a good game. Most of the time they appear, they've been wiped out by the time I could even meet them. Germany, while not the least successful AI, seems to struggle a lot since Bismark is so darned cranky and can't get along with *anyone*.

We should all bet on the AI controlled Civ that does the best. I'll put my money on Polynesia.

That's a good bet. So long as this game is pre-upcoming-patch, I'll go with the Maya. Their unique building is no joke, and they absolutely will play up their religious advantage.

I have never seen Polynesia settle a third city.

In my latest game on Small Continents with standard personalities, the Polynesians founded 5 cities. Three on their main continent with me, then two on a smaller, uninhabited continent. All of the cities had decent placement. :dunno:

I finally played a match where Polynesia was actively engaged. They had perhaps 9 cities, easily the most I've seen them build. They even aggressively hopped my territory and put a city within my zone of control. Ultimately, I killed them and killed them easily, but at least they didn't huddle in Honolulu all game long like they usually do.

This was a tough game too (Immortal). I was the Maya and had just a miserable start. The Byzantines above me went wonder crazy, giving me an opportunity to get settled. The French and Polynesians were in a state of constant war but establishing themselves across the western front. Sweden and Austria were killing each other in the East, and Arabia was settling every tundra craphole it could find in the north. (Poor Monty met a quick end when he antagonized everyone and Sweden, Byzantine, and Arabia carved him up for parts.)

I don't know if the AI does this, but I went heavy faith with the Maya and built an extensive medieval army almost exclusively by purchasing them with faith. It was madness.

HB

All in all they haven't been able to take advantage of one another's poor AI. - So nothing truly amazing - kind of disappointing.

Thanks for the update! Since I'm not the one doing "Next Turn" its fun to watch. Plus, I wouldn't be able to stay alive long enough on Diety to make a go of it :)

bcaiko said:
That's a good bet. So long as this game is pre-upcoming-patch, I'll go with the Maya. Their unique building is no joke, and they absolutely will play up their religious advantage.

Your bet may be even better. I should have taken Maya in 2nd at least. They do have a powerful UB and they're pretty good about playing up religion. Current game they're on a continent with Greece, Japan, and Atilla and have made it to the modern age wonderspamming as they go. They're pretty close to a space victory (stopped all of a sudden) and I thought they had a better play at culture given the amount of wonders. Up to this point they've played well, they're just not finishing for some reason. If a human took over I'm pretty sure it would be game over in 20 turns.

I don't know if the AI does this, but I went heavy faith with the Maya and built an extensive medieval army almost exclusively by purchasing them with faith. It was madness.

Probably not as effective as a human player but they do focus on faith in the games I've had them on the map.

A lot of things have happened since yesterday.

Everyone seemed to become friendly with one another for 30 turns (except for Sweden - everyone has hated them all game long). The careful alliance system I had struck up with the Byzantines and Denmark for so long all of a sudden faded. Both the Byzantines and Maya denounced me in the turn 230s and then the very next turn they both warred me. Then everyone in the world proceeded to denounce me - except for Carthage which I made friends with to continue my RAs and Sweden (who I didn't want to friend)
------
I am the tech leader still
With Harald Behind me
Montezuma behind me
Carthage and Theodora seem about equal after.
Maya - Swedes somewhere near one another tech wise
And Polynesia dead last and a far cry away from me I am at like ~ 85% literacy and he is at like 67% Surprising how bad and far behind compared to other leaders he is

The Maya have been at war with Carthage as well - and lost the city of Coba northeast of Addis Ababba in a sea attack. The Danes built up quite the army and took out Birka with Rocket Artillery and Norwegian Ski Infantry in a quick naval assault (first time I have really seen their Unique Rifle unit used by the AI). Sweden had a lot of Caroleans and sh ifted most of their former attack on adrianople (which was at 1/4 health) back to retake Birka [The city right above the Danish western lands]

The Swedes razed a city the Byzantines set up north of me - and then all of a sudden I got assaulted with waves of infantry on my capital.

I didn't want to take any cities this game - but I got ticked off and ended up razing Constantinople [Which is possible in an OCC game and since the Byzantines wouldn't make peace without demanding my arms and legs - decided to go ahead and do so for fun :p].

I have built the Apollo Project (And so have the Aztecs, Denmark [Go figure - they were the first to build it], and Carthage) and I built the UN on turn 261.

The danes have a massive army (about 460k size according to demographics - about 2x the supposed Swedish Army as of last pointy sticks total) but somehow the Swedes were able to retake Birka. I was actually getting afraid for a while - because I saw rocket artillery, Norwegian Rifles, Machine Guns all lining up inside of Jerusalem and got a report from Carthage that Denmark was planning a sneak attack on me - but somehow the Lion of the North was able to retake the city and give Denmark a fight despite less superior units.

Also the Maya have been trying to take La Venta now for about 100 turns to no success. Only thing defending it is a cannon - and the Maya have machine guns and lancers trying to take it.

All the city states except for one are allied to me (not including the ones that have been conquered)
=========

Also this is my first Diplomatic attempt since GK - I noticed there is now a "projected vote page that comes up when you build the UN. My projected vote is at 15 (10 needed for victory) with votes coming from my 11 city states, UN Owner vote, Carthage, Aztecs, and Polynesia (who is hostile to me... so if I am their favorite candidate - it must mean they hate everyone else)
---------

Also I forgot to update on the first post - Carthage did manage to conquer Tulum [City Closest to Maya mainland] a few turns before my last pic and have held it ever since despite near constant warring (with periods of peace) between them

Attachments

• Razed Constantinople.jpg
    Razed Constantinople.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 63
Ok can't post final pic - but turn 270 win Diplomatic

Ended up with 13 votes (10 city states + UN Vote + 2 Empires [Carthage and Polynesia])

I ended up losing several city states to coups but managed to counter coup and spend cash to keep them. Final demographics show Denmark was tied in tech with me entire time and Carthage/Aztecs were slightly behind. Maya ended up capturing a city state

Denmark finished with a military might of ~ 900,000. Their isolated start allowed them to grow well - but they largely failed in wars vs Marrakech and Sweden which both had inferior units/numbers.

Sweden is always the absolute worst in my games. Like, half the score of the 2nd worst AI who also sucks.

Top Bottom