LINESII- Into the Darkness- Part II

The Beginning

"No one ever said life would be easy. Without struggle, life would be meaningless. Life is a continous struggle to cleanse your soul and earn your right into the One's graces. Only through constant heartbreak do you know that you still have a heart." The words echoed through my earns as hte man sighed and leaned heavily on an elbow. The old priest unconsciously rubbing a bronze star[1] in his hand, deep in throught.

"One must first live their own life before they can lead another through their own.[2] Just because of surronding factors does not give me the right to accept you, as I've told you so many times before. I'm sorry but you can't become a priest." The old man finished.

"Yes father."We sat in silence for a few minutes befor ethe old priest sighed and got up, returning to his duties at the front of the church. People bustled around in the old church, the first founded in Vael Dash, preparing for the evening services.

it was pure irony in its simplest form- it took the downfall of a people to recognize the divine above. In the old lands[3] people treated the faith as if it was a third wheel: to be acknowldged if useful, but otherwise ignored. It was the complete oppisite now- if one didn't attend the prayer services, they were treated as if they were complete social outcasts: ignored and shunned from the rest of society.

I sighed. The truth sunk in as I stood up and walked to the exit of the church. No matter how hard I tried, father wouldn't even budge. Some people know what they want to do sicne they're young. Some want to work the land, others want to live off the sea, and others- like me- wanted to save their souls. Only the stupid law kept all the young blood from the ministry.

I pushed the heavy oak door open and was greeted by a cold blast of wind- and father calling my name. "Elias!" The old man jogged down the the aisle and stopped before me. "Here." He said, shoving a few druks[4] into my hand. I nodded and walked into the cold street. "Be back in time for the service." He called out after me before closing the heavy door to thrawt the advincing winds.

Vael Dash bustled around me. The city was the heartlands of the people and was easily the most populated of the three commisioned cities. I drew my cloak closer and made my way through the winding streets. The wind grew enraged and increased its howleling.

I laughed as I saw one of the citadelers, undoubtly unused to being exposed to the temperatures, shivering in the snows with his colleagues. The were arguing angrily with some government offical. Appearntly they wanted to dock until the storm passed and sought shelter form the government. I laughed again at their predicament. While trade wasn't forbidden with the heathens, inns were notorius for overcharging them for staying.

I continued my slow march, passing the temporary home of the remains of the late Bishop Jais. It was notorius for only being a small roped off section where no one was allowed to step. A great controversy had recently erupted in the state. Some wanted to leave the Bishop where lay, while others wanted to build a respectful resting place for his earthly remains.

After a lot of arguring it was finally decided to build a proper tomb to his memory- and his apprentices were going all out. The had already claimed some land along the river from a wealthy merchant and had begun to send out teams to haul white stone back from the mountains. Work on the White Tomb was scheduled to begin soon.

I finally made my way to a large oak building set against the Rydos. The inn, Fool's Wanderer, was crowded with people constantly walking in- a typical wednesday. People always gathered in the various taverns before prayers. I shoved the wood door open and relished the welcoming sounds.

While music in the old lands had been confided to hymns and prayer song, it wasn't until the exodus that the limitations were relieved. People really had nothing to do on the long boat rides, so they began to write songs and put them to music. Music was exploding in the country.

Right now a small group was playing in the back of the the room with tambils.[5] The music echoed throughout the large room as men lumped together and generally spread gossip from the day. I made my way over to the counter and put two coins on the counter, ordering a round of Tash[6] with a slice of pie. I made my way over to a wooden table to enjoy my break before the services, the words the old man said still ringing in my ears

[1]Avien- I think I've mentioned it before, but basically is an eight-pointed star, usually cast from copper or bronze, used in religious ceramonies. Used as an icon for the One, refering to the eight directions (as in the eight points) that represent the omnipotionetal (forgive the spelling) of the One.
[2]In Pirian, you generally have to be around 35 to become a priest. As priests usually not only teach the word of the Durma, but also serve somewhat as "psycharists" by giving advice.
[3]Old Lands- Davar
[4] Druk- currency of Arcadia. Small coins cast from copper (usually the size of an american penny) stamped with a symbol of diffrent leaders form the country's past to differ denominations.
[5]- Tambils- drums usually played with a primitive string instrument.
[6]- Tash- a drink popular in Arcadia. Basically a primitive vodka made from grains natural to the region. Usually served dilluted with either water or heated milk mixed with a nutmeg-like plant form the Arcadian region.

What did the Citadel do to Davar that you hate us so much?

Nothing to Davar ;]. But Arcadia is all religious and everything, so its pretty much the religious diffrences. You're just the one thats most involved in the area.

Iggy, not to seem impatient, but when will we get the map with the new nations? I'm anxious to know what my surrounding geography looks like.

Which location did you want again? I've added NK's nation, Dis' nation, but I'm not sure what surroundings you wanted. Didn't you change at one point?

Iggy, add my nation on the spot we discussed. I'll do the nation history/religion/UU's when I have time to think it through properly.

Sure. We will only Rebel to preserve our Unity, and that would only happen if your nation falls. we are a patient People

We Hereby surrender Conditionally to the Lengelzai.
!. we are allowed to retain Civil Athority on a city Level Bases. you may install a governor to rule each, or however you do it. and of course, you shall have overall control. by we are granted the ability to manage our day to day affairs. (we retain city based control, but follow any laws you impose upon us.)
2. We hand over all of our army to you, except of the Leavies, which we will either disband at your request, or retain if you will allow us. (you get our army, and we either keep of disband our levies, which we can't really hand over to you since they are our Citizens)
3. We Are able to Maintain a basic cultural Identity. that you respect the Path of god, which is remarkably Similar to Lengri in Philosophy, though a bit more patient. which is neither a good nor bad thing. we will not rebel, nor will we resent you.
4. you immediately declare war upon the Swade Ascendancy. they will not like this one bit.

we are fully open to negotiation on all points.

to Verta:
with Our Breaking Away from Our Old Alliance, and with you being backed with new allies, Perhaps it is time to take revenge on that little swade speck to the north?

Terrish for a 25 year old American you type like a 42 year old Guatemalan bean farmer.

who gives a crap what he types like?

noone I just find it odd, his posts make me laugh

Iggy, add my nation on the spot we discussed. I'll do the nation history/religion/UU's when I have time to think it through properly.

Was that inland in the new world?

Sorry, could you PM or give me a description? I'm a bit distracted as of late.

Terrish for a 25 year old American you type like a 42 year old Guatemalan bean farmer.
:lol:, Sigged.

Iggy why does my city venustas not show as a culture center?

also

To: Nurmafer

You will feel the full force of bladism as you watch every thing you love die and liquidate right before your eyes

OOC: Dude, the minute i go to summer camp, you launch the invasion. Thats not a low blow at all:rolleyes:
IC:

To: Nurmafer

We show you kindness, we give you peace, and you stab us in the back.

You are so ****ed

To Emor
From the Lengel

We accept your surrender.

To Bladeists
From the Lengel

Prepare to feel our invincible might, or surrender as those wiser have done.

OOC: How lovely indeed... Just lovely... Better start preparing...

Iggy, why hasn't Shysang become a cultural/religious center yet? The shrine thingy and all that? :(

Iggy why does my city venustas not show as a culture center?
It is. Or at least, your stats show it to be one.

Iggy, why hasn't Shysang become a cultural/religious center yet? The shrine thingy and all that?
I gave you culture, but no cultural center.

Luculis looked over the decree. It was short and stark, little more than a receipt for some bureaucratic purpose. It ordered the appropriate people to begin laying roads to connect Tellium’s cities. He stamped the page with his seal and handed it to the messenger. That was all the effort that legislation required of him now. In the old days even something as obviously worthwhile as a road network would have taken weeks of debate to convince some dimwit on the Assembly how valuable such an endeavor was and weeks more of secret agreements while those that could see it allowed them selves to be bribed. Now Luculis just had to stamp an order. He couldn’t help feeling that his talents were being wasted, in fact his talents where becoming increasingly outdated.

The world was changing, the great hegemons had all fallen, reliable allies proved fickle and the major faiths had spilled across national borders. It was no longer a world that could be bent by any one man no matter how absolute his power. The new force of destiny could not be harnessed so easily, for even its most efficacious agents where also it’s most unwitting tools.

1889 said:
It was no longer a world that could be bent by any one man no matter how absolute his power. The new force of destiny could not be harnessed so easily, for even its most efficacious agents where also it’s most unwitting tools.

I would argue that the leader of the Lengels could bend the world if he wanted to ;)

Top Bottom