Dumb Expansion Q From a Civ Noob

If you have Civ IV + BTS (no Warlords), you get ALL the features and gameplay of both BTS and Warlords expansions. The ONLY thing you miss is the Warlords scenarios.

Well, if you want to play with the Warlords rules (say, having great generals and the Warlords leaders but no espionage and no AP), or maybe you want to play the Warlords Game of the Month), you'll need to own the Warlords expansion.

You can play with no espionage with the new option "No Espionage" added in the latest BTS patch.

You can play with no AP (Apostolic Palace) by unchecking Diplomatic Victory.

If you can get warlords free, its a good deal. But warlords offers about 5-7 scenarios over BTS. How much you value those scenarios is really what warlords is worth to you. If you don't care, and wont ever play them - it's worth zero. If you like scenarios - I dunno, probably varies from person to person.

Warlords also uses a slightly different combat engine (no collateral damage limit), and does not include the additional functionality of forts that BTS provides (canals), Wralords units are also much easier to level (over BTS) with each level requiring far fewer xp, and the tech tree is slightly different (no aesthetics)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I'm happily Civing right now on my Mac through Windows and Bootcamp. Can't believe how differently the two versions look on the same machine.

I'm also seriously considering a CivRev purchase also, for times when I want a different experience (and achievement points)!

Thank you!!

Top Bottom