War. What is it good for?

angelus512

Warlord
Yes the lyrics to that song. Maybe I'm confusing it with Civ 4 which I did infact like a lot especially with BTS.
BUt didn't vanilla civ5 have the function where the longer you were at war the more unhappy your citizens would get? Basically being an excellent function to stop people from being CONSTANT warmongers.

I've just gotten back into civ after HATING vanilla and finding G&K not too bad so far.

But I am not noticing unhappy faces from me being at war so far...no matter how long I'm at war for.
Also the ability to create puppet civs from conquered states why was that removed?
And as everybody has already commented many times. Jesus are the programmers at Firaxis mentally challeneged?

It cant be that hard to create a decent diplomatic core to the game. Can't somebody create a decent mod to add in these features?

Off the top of my head
Cassus Belli system like Europa Universallis is seriously needed.
Civs actually taking into account what the Civpedia says they will.....They dont notice defensive pacts at all.
Civs perhaps giving some warning signs before they jump off the deep end when prior everything was 4 layers of GREEN good.

Just all round is horsehockye diplo that surely somebody can mod some semi-decent stuff into?

It might be just me but I recall earlier versions of civ having diplo systems that were better. Or maybe it was just that they were predictable and easily manipulated I'm not sure it has been a few years.

No, there was never a war weariness factor.

IIRC, there was also something in Civ4 where the AI tracked how the war progressed...how many units they lost vs. how many you lost, etc. I don't think this exists in Civ5 either.

Between those two and the way that the AI severely undervalues your ability to leverage a small army for huge results, you can easily end up in millenium-spanning wars.

In a recent game I parked a swordsman on a hill citadel tile with another hill between it and an enemy city. I left him there while at war for something like 2000 years until he had every promotion possible, and the AI always wanted all my available cities plus every resource and all my cash just to make peace, despite him continually losing units to citadel death as he pathed around it just to die at my capitol.

And what are you talking about, puppeting removed? You can still puppet everything you conquer...so...not sure how you're missing that.

And yeah we could use a lot of diplo work, but will it happen? I kinda doubt it, dunno if there's enough groundwork for someone non-firaxis to even mod it effectively.

In my experience, you simply can never count on an AI truly being an ally, which is a shame. No matter how nice or how similar your goals, at some point they will just break and backstab you. I heard that's likely the result of civ5 ai 'trying to win' vs civ4 ai just 'playing its style' and I don't think it's quite as good.

I miss vassalage, colonies, capitulation, random events and other things. But there's so much I like about how civ 5 HAS changed.

I just wish 4 & 5 would have a perfect love-child.

Dont want to come off as being cocky but are you sure you've played all the civilizations? There was most definitely an unhappyness factor as wars went on in length of time in prior civs.

As for puppeting you do not recall that in Civ 4 you could puppet ENTIRE civilizations? Aka vassalage?

Also as a follow up besides bonuses and stuff citystates are useless now. They are just a game mechanic for diplomatic snaffu's and happyness/culture/faith.

I recall CS used to actually "fight". Nowdays they just have units that wont stray 1-2 tiles away from their own boarders.

Dont want to come off as being cocky but are you sure you've played all the civilizations? There was most definitely an unhappyness factor as wars went on in length of time in prior civs.

As for puppeting you do not recall that in Civ 4 you could puppet ENTIRE civilizations? Aka vassalage?

There was never war weariness in civ *five*, is what I meant. And yes, by the way, I have played all of 1 through 5. And vassalage has never been in 5 either.

You commented about playing vanilla civ 5 and thought that war weariness was in it. It was not. Since you subsequently asked about puppeting, I thought you were making the same comparison.

In either case, puppet cities and vassalage aren't really the same thing. As I wrote before, I do think capitulation should be brought back.

and I have both lost cities to (thanks to ones 'behind' me being stolen away and launching a half dozen units at undefended cities) and seen city-states successfully capture enemy cities, in multiple games. It just varies.

Yeah, I will never understand the idea to write war-weariness out of the game. Whose idea was that!?

Yeah, I will never understand the idea to write war-weariness out of the game. Whose idea was that!?

Probably the same people who thought it was a good idea to effectively make the unhappiness system a player-only problem. Although he didn't mean it that way, the keyword in the OP is "people". :p

Yes war weariness was in CIV but not CiV. But you are missing two important factors in CiV completely.

When you are winning a war and annexing/puppeting cities, you are going to accumulate a lot of unhappiness. This acts as war-weariness as your people transition from conquerors to occupiers and you now have to meet the needs of the people in your new cities (who hate you for conquering them).

If you are losing a war, then you are going to lose access to luxuries, bonuses, buildings and wonders that keep your happy faces up. This will cause unhappiness, and acts like war weariness.

If you aren't winning or losing, you will suffer unhappiness as tiles get pillaged over the span of the war.

One last thing, if unhappiness dips below -20, then you risk a rebellion every single turn where barbarian units with your most advanced technology will appear near the capital and go on the rampage. When I'm winning a war, I always think of these guys as the insurgency that popped up from the newly conquered lands.

All in all, while CiV doesn't have direct war weariness, I feel these features do a great job of standing in for it.

But I am not noticing unhappy faces from me being at war so far...no matter how long I'm at war for.

This probably means you are either playing a low difficulty which gives you easier smilies or you aren't conquering very much or losing many cities.

Also the ability to create puppet civs from conquered states why was that removed?

I really don't know why you think it was removed. It never was.

Also as a follow up besides bonuses and stuff citystates are useless now. They are just a game mechanic for diplomatic snaffu's and happyness/culture/faith.

I recall CS used to actually "fight". Nowdays they just have units that wont stray 1-2 tiles away from their own boarders.

I get that you don't like them, but I don't get why you think they are useless. Given this statement and your others, I get the feeling you either haven't played CiV that much or you simply aren't learning the intricacies of the game.

And CS's can and do fight, albeit not always effectively. Like others have said, it varies from game to game and from CS to CS.

Yes war weariness was in CIV but not CiV. But you are missing two important factors in CiV completely.

When you are winning a war and annexing/puppeting cities, you are going to accumulate a lot of unhappiness. This acts as war-weariness as your people transition from conquerors to occupiers and you now have to meet the needs of the people in your new cities (who hate you for conquering them).

If you are losing a war, then you are going to lose access to luxuries, bonuses, buildings and wonders that keep your happy faces up. This will cause unhappiness, and acts like war weariness.

If you aren't winning or losing, you will suffer unhappiness as tiles get pillaged over the span of the war.

One last thing, if unhappiness dips below -20, then you risk a rebellion every single turn where barbarian units with your most advanced technology will appear near the capital and go on the rampage. When I'm winning a war, I always think of these guys as the insurgency that popped up from the newly conquered lands.

All in all, while CiV doesn't have direct war weariness, I feel these features do a great job of standing in for it.

You're assuming that the war is an actual war. There are two situations where these assumptions don't apply.

1. You attack a city-state's unit and kill it, thus starting a new war. You never attack the actual city, but instead park your units there and farm the CS's units for XP. Actual war wariness would combat this exploit.

2. An AI civilization declares war on you for whatever reason. You have no intentions of conquering his cities, so you just defend your own. You killed the AI's initial attack force, but he won't give you a peace treaty unless you give up all of your gold and some cities. As long as you keep playing defense, this war will never end. The AI might never again send another attack force, but he'll refuse to sign a clean peace treaty because, um, uh, ..., well, what incentive does he have to agree to peace? There's no downside to endless war (except for a couple of religion beliefs)!

I'd like to see war wariness added to the game. It can't just be unhappiness, though, because that wouldn't work for the AI. Maybe diplomatic penalties would work better.

You're assuming that the war is an actual war. There are two situations where these assumptions don't apply.

1. You attack a city-state's unit and kill it, thus starting a new war. You never attack the actual city, but instead park your units there and farm the CS's units for XP. Actual war wariness would combat this exploit.

2. An AI civilization declares war on you for whatever reason. You have no intentions of conquering his cities, so you just defend your own. You killed the AI's initial attack force, but he won't give you a peace treaty unless you give up all of your gold and some cities. As long as you keep playing defense, this war will never end. The AI might never again send another attack force, but he'll refuse to sign a clean peace treaty because, um, uh, ..., well, what incentive does he have to agree to peace? There's no downside to endless war (except for a couple of religion beliefs)!

I'd like to see war wariness added to the game. It can't just be unhappiness, though, because that wouldn't work for the AI. Maybe diplomatic penalties would work better.

If territory isn't changing hands, how does these wars amount to more than just skirmishes? Constant skirmishing doesn't necessarily bring on war weariness in the real world (look at the situation in Israel for example) nor does constant skirmishing always result in a cease fire or peace.

Also the concept of war weariness doesn't really apply to most of human history - where this kind of endless skirmishing was constant and soldiers often spent their whole lives on the front and never formed families. Without nations as we know them now and mass communication, what happened out on the frontiers wasn't transmitted to the general public. And given that soldiers were separated from their birth families early on and didn't form their own families, the general populace didn't always have much of a connection with armies on a personal level.

As for an endless war with an AI, this has happened irl all the time. The Persians and the Romans fought pretty much through their entire existence even after their borders became pretty static. North and South Korea are still technically at war and still attack each other occasionaly. These are but a few examples.

In summary, war weariness if fickle and it doesn't always happen. I think the current situation in CiV reflects this pretty well.

I also do not believe farming a CS for XP is a big exploit. For one, you take a huge diplo hit for doing it, and it takes sustained effort and resources on the part of the player who engages in it. Plus, armies tied down farming a CS are not going to help much when an AI attacks the other side of the empire until they have had a chance to move to the front.

If territory isn't changing hands, how does these wars amount to more than just skirmishes? Constant skirmishing doesn't necessarily bring on war weariness in the real world (look at the situation in Israel for example) nor does constant skirmishing always result in a cease fire or peace.

I'm pretty sure that the people living in Israel, Gaza, Palestine, Lebanon, etc. are all quite tired of the constant "skirmishes".

Also the concept of war weariness doesn't really apply to most of human history - where this kind of endless skirmishing was constant and soldiers often spent their whole lives on the front and never formed families. Without nations as we know them now and mass communication, what happened out on the frontiers wasn't transmitted to the general public. And given that soldiers were separated from their birth families early on and didn't form their own families, the general populace didn't always have much of a connection with armies on a personal level.

As for an endless war with an AI, this has happened irl all the time. The Persians and the Romans fought pretty much through their entire existence even after their borders became pretty static. North and South Korea are still technically at war and still attack each other occasionaly. These are but a few examples.

In summary, war weariness if fickle and it doesn't always happen. I think the current situation in CiV reflects this pretty well.

Civ isn't a real-life emulator. It's a game. The AI needs things like war wariness to function properly.

I also do not believe farming a CS for XP is a big exploit. For one, you take a huge diplo hit for doing it, and it takes sustained effort and resources on the part of the player who engages in it. Plus, armies tied down farming a CS are not going to help much when an AI attacks the other side of the empire until they have had a chance to move to the front.

You don't take a diplomatic hit if you only do it with a single CS. Also, you'd generally only have 1-2 units sitting outside the CS at any given time, rotating them as needed. There's just about zero downside to doing this.

In fact, you can do the same thing with an AI civ, too. You know how you get that big diplomatic hit when you wipe out an AI's last city? Well, don't. Just sit there and farm the units that he'll produce for eternity instead. After all, you have no incentive to ever end the war.

It cant be that hard to create a decent diplomatic core to the game. Can't somebody create a decent mod to add in these features?

No offense, but it is pretty obvious you have no idea how much work there is to making games.

Trying to have a computer program behave like a human is one of the most difficult things imaginable. There's a reason Civ games started to actually spell out what all affects your relations... if you can't fake being an AI, don't even try to hide it.

I'm pretty sure that the people living in Israel, Gaza, Palestine, Lebanon, etc. are all quite tired of the constant "skirmishes".
Tired or not, none of those countries or peoples have made a serious, good faith effort for peace after decades. You also conveniently ignored all the other examples I cited for how war weariness doesn't always happen and wasn't actually a big factor in wars for most of human history.

Civ isn't a real-life emulator. It's a game. The AI needs things like war wariness to function properly.
How? IMO it needs to learn tactics and terrain first. I don't see how giving an AI war weariness helps anything, and it would also be offset by the AI bonuses on anything but the lowest difficulties.

You don't take a diplomatic hit if you only do it with a single CS. Also, you'd generally only have 1-2 units sitting outside the CS at any given time, rotating them as needed. There's just about zero downside to doing this.
And you'd get only 1-2 upgraded units that way. You also get an immediate -200 diplo hit for your first DoW on a CS. That's a pretty big downside.

In fact, you can do the same thing with an AI civ, too. You know how you get that big diplomatic hit when you wipe out an AI's last city? Well, don't. Just sit there and farm the units that he'll produce for eternity instead. After all, you have no incentive to ever end the war.

You still get a warmonger penalty for taking a lot of cities, not just for taking the last one. If you have taken a lot of cities, then you do get war weariness in the form of unhappiness. You are also paying to maintain a larger army than you might have otherwise. You also have the opportunity costs of all the things you could have built instead of an army.

And if you haven't taken much territory, then everything I've said about war weariness not being a huge factor irl applies.

Tired or not, none of those countries or peoples have made a serious, good faith effort for peace after decades. You also conveniently ignored all the other examples I cited for how war weariness doesn't always happen and wasn't actually a big factor in wars for most of human history.

I was replying to each of your points in turn. You cited Israel as an example, which I countered. Don't confuse the governments of Israel, Lebanon, etc. with the people who live in those countries. The people are definitely tired of the constant bombs, missiles, abductions, etc.

How? IMO it needs to learn tactics and terrain first. I don't see how giving an AI war weariness helps anything, and it would also be offset by the AI bonuses on anything but the lowest difficulties.

The AI, if it works like any other AI ever written for a game, uses a set of metrics and goals to make decisions. If the AI sees no downside to continuing a war for eternity and no upside to ending one, then it won't end that war. Why would it? War wariness would give it both of these things.

I specifically pointed out that unhappiness wouldn't work in Civ V and that diplomatic penalties might work better. I'm pretty sure that those would apply on all difficulty levels.

And you'd get only 1-2 upgraded units that way. You also get an immediate -200 diplo hit for your first DoW on a CS. That's a pretty big downside.

1. Everybody forgives you for the first CS war. That's why stealing workers at the beginning of the game is so common.

2. I said that you'd rotate the units as needed. You obviously wouldn't leave only 2 units there for the entire game.

You still get a warmonger penalty for taking a lot of cities, not just for taking the last one. If you have taken a lot of cities, then you do get war weariness in the form of unhappiness. You are also paying to maintain a larger army than you might have otherwise. You also have the opportunity costs of all the things you could have built instead of an army.

Of course, you could just raise those cities and not worry about happiness or defense. But you're ignoring the larger point, which is that never-ending wars are easily exploited by the player and not by the AI.

And if you haven't taken much territory, then everything I've said about war weariness not being a huge factor irl applies.

What? How is the amount of territory that you've taken correlated in any way with war wariness in real life?

I was replying to each of your points in turn. You cited Israel as an example, which I countered. Don't confuse the governments of Israel, Lebanon, etc. with the people who live in those countries. The people are definitely tired of the constant bombs, missiles, abductions, etc.

Those are democracies controlled by the people. They haven't been serious about peace, and the people haven't voted in politicians that are either. Therefore, from where I'm sitting, the people may be tired of war, but not enough to change governments and end it.

I also pointed out the Romans and the Persians and North and South Korea as examples why war weariness didn't always exist as we know it and even when it did, sometimes it isn't a factor. I also explained how detached soldiers used to be from civilian life, especially before mass communication. You didn't answer any of those points and that's why I said you conveniently ignored them.

The AI, if it works like any other AI ever written for a game, uses a set of metrics and goals to make decisions. If the AI sees no downside to continuing a war for eternity and no upside to ending one, then it won't end that war. Why would it? War wariness would give it both of these things.

I specifically pointed out that unhappiness wouldn't work in Civ V and that diplomatic penalties might work better. I'm pretty sure that those would apply on all difficulty levels.

If the AI doesn't want to end a war, why is this a problem? Because you want wars to have a shelf-life? This doesn't reflect reality and I don't see how it would add anything to the game aside from satisfying you. If you aren't winning (by winning I mean taking territory), then they aren't losing anything beside replaceable units. What is the AI's incentive to quit or offer terms that amount to anything more than a no-fault cease fire?

You mention that people exploit endless wars for XP, well the AI also gains XP. The fact that it sucks at war and loses a lot of units is more of a problem. That is what makes it potentially an exploit, IMHO, not because the war does not end. You wouldn't call it an exploit if you regularly lost to an AI that didn't want peace and used the endless war to hit you with super units.

Or maybe you would call that AI cheating or something. Why not just up the difficulty so you can't just turtle and kill wave after wave of units?

1. Everybody forgives you for the first CS war. That's why stealing workers at the beginning of the game is so common.

2. I said that you'd rotate the units as needed. You obviously wouldn't leave only 2 units there for the entire game.

1. No they don't. Especially if the AI or other CS's had met you before you declared war. They tend to not notice when you do things like multiple DoW's before you met them, which is not the same as everybody forgiving you.

2.I took your statement to mean that you rotated the 2 units amongst themselves to heal.

Of course, you could just raise those cities and not worry about happiness or defense. But you're ignoring the larger point, which is that never-ending wars are easily exploited by the player and not by the AI.

It's only seen as an exploit because the AI sucks at combat, as explained above. Also, how is forcing the AI or a player to end a war fun? That takes randomness out of the game and essentially puts a timer on every war. I don't think that's fun or realistic.

What? How is the amount of territory that you've taken correlated in any way with war wariness in real life?

Because gaining or losing territory are the main factors in war weariness (as presented in the form of happy faces) in CiV. If you haven't taken much territory or lost any territory, then you are not going to have war weariness. I was comparing that fact with all of the different scenarios I laid out where war weariness either didn't exist or isn't a major factor.
North/South Korea
Persia/Rome
Israeli Situation
soldiers separated from civilian life
plenty of other situations

No game mechanic is ever going to be a perfect representation of real life. I'm just trying to correlate how the mechanic works now and applying it to real life. It's a stretch, for sure, but any comparison between a game mechanic and real life is.

Edit: I struck through something I said because it comes across as especially jerky, even more so when I consider that not many others have weighed into the debate. I struck through instead of deleted to show that I acknowledge what I said was dumb and that I'm apologizing for it. I try and stay civil, but sometimes that is hard as inflection is largely absent in the printed word.

Those are democracies controlled by the people. They haven't been serious about peace, and the people haven't voted in politicians that are either. Therefore, from where I'm sitting, the people may be tired of war, but not enough to change governments and end it.

I also pointed out the Romans and the Persians and North and South Korea as examples why war weariness didn't always exist as we know it and even when it did, sometimes it isn't a factor. I also explained how detached soldiers used to be from civilian life, especially before mass communication. You didn't answer any of those points and that's why I said you conveniently ignored them.

I ignored them because they don't matter. As I said in my first reply, Civ is a game, not a real-life simulation. Games have mechanics that don't necessarily reflect reality but improve the playing experience. War wariness is one of those mechanics and it does have at least some basis in reality. I actually have no idea why you're arguing so strongly against the concept while simultaneously admitting that it's already in the game.

The problem is that the current implementation is essentially useless for the two reasons that I pointed out.

1. Because of the way that AI bonuses work, they never have an incentive to end a war unless you're actively conquering their cities.
2. Because players are smarter than the AI, they can abuse the war mechanics to set up XP farms.

Both of these are almost certainly not intended mechanics. War wariness could fix them.

If the AI doesn't want to end a war, why is this a problem? Because you want wars to have a shelf-life? This doesn't reflect reality and I don't see how it would add anything to the game aside from satisfying you. If you aren't winning (by winning I mean taking territory), then they aren't losing anything beside replaceable units. What is the AI's incentive to quit or offer terms that amount to anything more than a no-fault cease fire?

I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this, but I don't care about reality. We're talking about a game. The vast majority of gameplay mechanics in Civ don't reflect reality and that's just fine.

There's no such thing as "replaceable units". Every turn spent building a replacement unit, or every gold coin spent buying one, is a lost opportunity to work toward victory. That's especially important to the AI since they rely very heavily on numbers advantages to achieve victory over the superior skills of most players.

Anyway, my point wasn't that the AI offers no-fault cease fire agreements and that I'm unsatisfied. My point is that that AI doesn't offer them and instead demands all of your gold, cities, and gold per turn. That's fine when the AI is actively warring against you, killing units, taking cities, etc. But it's absolutely ridiculous when the AI is completely ignoring the war because they're off doing something else (another war, building libraries, or whatever). The problem is that the AI has no incentive to offer anything else (e.g. a no-fault peace treaty) because there's no penalty for never-ending war (which also isn't realistic if you insist on being realistic).

You mention that people exploit endless wars for XP, well the AI also gains XP. The fact that it sucks at war and loses a lot of units is more of a problem. That is what makes it potentially an exploit, IMHO, not because the war does not end. You wouldn't call it an exploit if you regularly lost to an AI that didn't want peace and used the endless war to hit you with super units.

No, the problem is that exploiting XP farms isn't an intended mechanic. Thus, the AI isn't programmed to do it. The solution is not to program the AI to set up XP farms; it's to eliminate the exploit. There are a few ways to do this, but war wariness seems to be the best method. (And remember, war wariness doesn't have to be unhappiness. It could be anything that would discourage prolonging wars to abuse unintended mechanics.)

Or maybe you would call that AI cheating or something. Why not just up the difficulty so you can't just turtle and kill wave after wave of units?

Because you can do it on Immortal? I haven't tried Deity, yet, but I bet it's no different. The AI is so bad at war that the difficulty level really doesn't matter when it comes to killing wave after wave of units.

More importantly, though,
1. City states don't produce enough units to call them "waves". They produce few units, but enough to abuse for XP.
2. AI civs often never attack with a second wave of units. They send one wave of units, lose them all, and then forget about the war until X turns have passed and it's time to demand all of your gold and cities again.

Maybe the Deity-level AIs don't do that? They certainly do on Prince through Immortal.

It's only seen as an exploit because the AI sucks at combat, as explained above. Also, how is forcing the AI or a player to end a war fun? That takes randomness out of the game and essentially puts a timer on every war. I don't think that's fun or realistic.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. All I'm suggesting is that we add one more metric to decision making for both the player and the AI. If you evaluate your options and decide that the benefits outweigh the penalty, then by all means continue the war.

Because gaining or losing territory are the main factors in war weariness (as presented in the form of happy faces) in CiV. If you haven't taken much territory or lost any territory, then you are not going to have war weariness. I was comparing that fact with all of the different scenarios I laid out where war weariness either didn't exist or isn't a major factor.

Happiness is not war wariness. Happiness might be affected by war wariness (or perhaps not!), but they aren't equivalent. If they were, then you would have "war wariness" from settling too many cities or selling too many luxuries. Clearly, they aren't the same.

North/South Korea

North Korea and South Korea are still at war, but at least they have a cease fire agreement in place. The fact that they're at war is more of a technicality than anything else. This really isn't a good example of anything. Civ IV had cease-fire agreements in addition to peace treaties (or maybe that was RoM?). Civ V doesn't.

Persia/Rome

This was a series of wars between numerous empires with decades-long breaks in between them. That's not the same as one war that lasts thousands of years with no breaks at all.

Israeli Situation

Again, you are confusing governments for people. You are severely underestimating the war weariness felt in this region and severely overestimating the power of the people there to overthrow their governments to end the wars. If you think that it's a simple matter of electing different leaders, then you're very ignorant of the reality in the region.

soldiers separated from civilian life

I don't see how this is even relevant. Families missing relatives at war is only one part of the equation. You also must consider the other economic, social, psychological, and physical effects that war has on populations over time.

There, I answered your other points. :p

Arguing about historical and real-life situations is just going to get the thread locked. It's not really pertinent to how war weariness should or shouldn't be implemented in the game

I ignored them because they don't matter. As I said in my first reply, Civ is a game, not a real-life simulation. Games have mechanics that don't necessarily reflect reality but improve the playing experience. War wariness is one of those mechanics and it does have at least some basis in reality. I actually have no idea why you're arguing so strongly against the concept while simultaneously admitting that it's already in the game.
(Added bold emphasis is mine)

As I've already said, it is a game. And you want to implement something from real life into that game. Therefore, comparisons with real life are A-OK in my book. You are claiming the historical precedent yourself.

I have said that war wariness is simulated in the game adequately enough, even if it isn't called as such. I'm against trying to change the game in the way you suggest not because I'm against the concept of war wariness, (which as I've already said is in the game) but because I'm against your method of changing it.

The problem is that the current implementation is essentially useless for the two reasons that I pointed out.

1. Because of the way that AI bonuses work, they never have an incentive to end a war unless you're actively conquering their cities.
2. Because players are smarter than the AI, they can abuse the war mechanics to set up XP farms.

Both of these are almost certainly not intended mechanics. War wariness could fix them.

For 1. - The AI does offer no-fault peace treaties. I've seen it. They do eventually just want to stop fighting, even when no cities are changing hands. I don't see why they should be forced into having an incentive to sue for peace.

You point number 2 proves my earlier point. The AI is bad at warfighting. Fix that and your complaints about endless wars will largely evaporate. Trying to fix it with your suggestion of enhanced war wariness will only put a timer on every war fought with the AI.

I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this, but I don't care about reality. We're talking about a game. The vast majority of gameplay mechanics in Civ don't reflect reality and that's just fine.

Then don't try and put in an aspect from real life into the game and then expect no one to point out why you're mechanic wouldn't work as intended in the game and how it's not necessarily an accurate representation of real life. This is why I highlighted what you said in the first paragraph.

Also, for the sake of debate, we can do without the sarcasm.

There's no such thing as "replaceable units". Every turn spent building a replacement unit, or every gold coin spent buying one, is a lost opportunity to work toward victory. That's especially important to the AI since they rely very heavily on numbers advantages to achieve victory over the superior skills of most players.
Anyway, my point wasn't that the AI offers no-fault cease fire agreements and that I'm unsatisfied. My point is that that AI doesn't offer them and instead demands all of your gold, cities, and gold per turn. That's fine when the AI is actively warring against you, killing units, taking cities, etc. But it's absolutely ridiculous when the AI is completely ignoring the war because they're off doing something else (another war, building libraries, or whatever). The problem is that the AI has no incentive to offer anything else (e.g. a no-fault peace treaty) because there's no penalty for never-ending war (which also isn't realistic if you insist on being realistic).
(added bold emphasis mine)

They do rely on numbers, because it isn't good at combat. But I've already said this. And at the higher difficulties, they can in fact churn out units pretty easily compared to the player. They are 'replaceable' in this sense.

Never-ending wars where territory isn't changing hands is not unrealistic.

If the AI is losing units but not the war, why should they end the war? What's wrong with having an aggressive AI keep trying? By putting a timer on the war, you are handicapping them even more and making them even more rpredictable. Your suggestion of war weariness that will time-limit the AI's wars is opening up a whole other set of potential exploits.

No, the problem is that exploiting XP farms isn't an intended mechanic. Thus, the AI isn't programmed to do it. The solution is not to program the AI to set up XP farms; it's to eliminate the exploit. There are a few ways to do this, but war wariness seems to be the best method. (And remember, war wariness doesn't have to be unhappiness. It could be anything that would discourage prolonging wars to abuse unintended mechanics.)

It's only an exploit because the AI isn't better at combat. This is the root of the problem. If they were better, a human couldn't farm an AI so easily. I also feel the majority of players would rather have an AI that knows how to fight over coding in a war wariness modifier that could cripple their own strategies as well as straight-jacket the AI further.

More importantly, though,
1. City states don't produce enough units to call them "waves". They produce few units, but enough to abuse for XP.
2. AI civs often never attack with a second wave of units. They send one wave of units, lose them all, and then forget about the war until X turns have passed and it's time to demand all of your gold and cities again.

1. True, but as the majority of people noted in this thread, it isn't necessarily an exploit:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=471697
2. Yes they do. They also really do ask for no-fault peace treaties, but I'm guessing you aren't going to take my word on it.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. All I'm suggesting is that we add one more metric to decision making for both the player and the AI. If you evaluate your options and decide that the benefits outweigh the penalty, then by all means continue the war.

I'm pretty sure the AI is going through existing metrics and choosing war or peace. As PhilBowles pointed out in another thread, the AI does a decent job of choosing when to ask for peace. It does not always do a good job when asking for terms. These are two separte decision trees for it to go through, separate issues. Coding in a new modifier as you suggested would time limit the AI's wars and make it even more predictable while doing nothing about the terms the AI asks for.

Happiness is not war wariness. Happiness might be affected by war wariness (or perhaps not!), but they aren't equivalent. If they were, then you would have "war wariness" from settling too many cities or selling too many luxuries. Clearly, they aren't the same.

Happiness does a good job of standing in for war weariness. It slows growth and can spawn rebellions. It is a catch-all mechanic that performs multiple functions.

North Korea and South Korea are still at war, but at least they have a cease fire agreement in place. The fact that they're at war is more of a technicality than anything else. This really isn't a good example of anything. Civ IV had cease-fire agreements in addition to peace treaties (or maybe that was RoM?). Civ V doesn't.

How is a peace treaty that expires in 10 turns where no one exhanges anything functionally different from a cease fire? (They were in CIV I'm pretty sure, btw)

As for the reality of the North/South Korea situation, here are some helpful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_border_incidents_involving_North_Korea
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/23/us-korea-north-artillery-idUSTRE6AM0YS20101123
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260975/BREAKING-NEWS-South-Korean-ship-100-board-sinking-torpedo-attack-North-Korea.html

This was a series of wars between numerous empires with decades-long breaks in between them. That's not the same as one war that lasts thousands of years with no breaks at all.

You fight the AI. Several turns pass between combat. Those turns can represent hundreds of years or decades. Functionally, how is this different from the Pesia/Rome situation? They were arch enemies, and it's not like formal declarations of war or peace were always made. Hostilities could start and stop on a dime.

Again, you are confusing governments for people. You are severely underestimating the war weariness felt in this region and severely overestimating the power of the people there to overthrow their governments to end the wars. If you think that it's a simple matter of electing different leaders, then you're very ignorant of the reality in the region.
It is as simple as electing leaders. They make the decisions of war and peace. If the Israelis wanted to get serious about peace they wouldn't have sent die-hard factions to power in the Knesset. The same goes for the Palestinians that voted in Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

I don't see how this is even relevant. Families missing relatives at war is only one part of the equation. You also must consider the other economic, social, psychological, and physical effects that war has on populations over time.
It went to the point that war wariness didn't exist as it does now. I only made that point as you (note the highlight in the first paragraph) are citing real life for your suggested changes.

Without mass communication and given the fluid, often undeclared and near-permanent state of warfare in early history, war did not always have great economic, social...etc. effects on the population that you claim. It was just a fact of life and often (especially when territory wasn't changing hands) relegated to the frontiers where the majority of a given nation just didn't care or think about it.

Arguing about historical and real-life situations is just going to get the thread locked. It's not really pertinent to how war weariness should or shouldn't be implemented in the game

yeah i think that's where we're heading and that's half my fault. apologies
Edit: at least we are debating the game-play merits

(Added bold emphasis is mine)

As I've already said, it is a game. And you want to implement something from real life into that game. Therefore, comparisons with real life are A-OK in my book. You are claiming the historical precedent yourself.

I have said that war wariness is simulated in the game adequately enough, even if it isn't called as such. I'm against trying to change the game in the way you suggest not because I'm against the concept of war wariness, (which as I've already said is in the game) but because I'm against your method of changing it.

I wouldn't care if war weariness had no basis in reality. You seem to, which is why I wrote it that way. Regardless, you can't be against my method of changing it because I haven't actually proposed a method of changing it. All I've said is that war weariness should increase as war continues and that the current implementation isn't adequate due to poor AI and unintended mechanics.

For 1. - The AI does offer no-fault peace treaties. I've seen it. They do eventually just want to stop fighting, even when no cities are changing hands. I don't see why they should be forced into having an incentive to sue for peace.

I've only seen this happen when the AI gets into a second war with another AI and that other AI starts to win. When an AI declares war on me and I just defend my cities, the war seems to never end 90% of the time.

You point number 2 proves my earlier point. The AI is bad at warfighting. Fix that and your complaints about endless wars will largely evaporate. Trying to fix it with your suggestion of enhanced war wariness will only put a timer on every war fought with the AI.

Improving the AI's combat prowess isn't going to fix the XP farm problem and neither will it fix the "war that isn't really a war" problem.

They do rely on numbers, because it isn't good at combat. But I've already said this. And at the higher difficulties, they can in fact churn out units pretty easily compared to the player. They are 'replaceable' in this sense.

Those units still have an opportunity cost. The AI could have been building a library instead of another composite bowman, for example. The AI needs its turns more than you need yours, despite the bonuses that it gets to production. Nothing in Civ is replaceable.

If the AI is losing units but not the war, why should they end the war? What's wrong with having an aggressive AI keep trying? By putting a timer on the war, you are handicapping them even more and making them even more rpredictable. Your suggestion of war weariness that will time-limit the AI's wars is opening up a whole other set of potential exploits.

I'm not sure why you insist that there's a time limit. I don't think that anybody is proposing a system in which, after 50 turns, the war is over no matter what. Obviously, war weariness is a gradual thing that increases over time. Perhaps there are ways to combat it, too, just like there were in Civ IV. (If you don't recall, certain civics and buildings reduced or eliminated war weariness. But, those civics had tradeoffs just like any other civics.)

As I mentioned previously, the AI makes decisions based on metrics and goals. Currently, there aren't enough metrics in the "should I end this war" decision equations. War weariness would improve the AI in this sense.

It's only an exploit because the AI isn't better at combat. This is the root of the problem. If they were better, a human couldn't farm an AI so easily. I also feel the majority of players would rather have an AI that knows how to fight over coding in a war wariness modifier that could cripple their own strategies as well as straight-jacket the AI further.

I strongly disagree with this. Once you've killed the AI's army (and this must be possible), then you can easily keep up with killing any new units that he produces. I really don't see how improving the combat AI would ever solve this problem.

1. True, but as the majority of people noted in this thread, it isn't necessarily an exploit:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=471697

That's just a bunch of opinions. Mine's in there, too. So what?

I'm pretty sure the AI is going through existing metrics and choosing war or peace. As PhilBowles pointed out in another thread, the AI does a decent job of choosing when to ask for peace. It does not always do a good job when asking for terms. These are two separte decision trees for it to go through, separate issues. Coding in a new modifier as you suggested would time limit the AI's wars and make it even more predictable while doing nothing about the terms the AI asks for.

1. It's not a time limit.

2. Those two decision trees are probably not independent. The AI makes a peace offer when it thinks that it should end the war. Obviously, war weariness would factor into this decision. That peace offer based on how badly it wants to end the war and on how well the AI is doing. War weariness would obviously factor into this decision.

Happiness does a good job of standing in for war weariness. It slows growth and can spawn rebellions. It is a catch-all mechanic that performs multiple functions.

It's not good enough for the reasons that I've outlined previously. Also, the AI is essentially immune to happiness due to the obscene bonuses that it receives.

How is a peace treaty that expires in 10 turns where no one exhanges anything functionally different from a cease fire? (They were in CIV I'm pretty sure, btw)

A cease fire didn't come with a 10-turn guarantee.

(I skipped the rest so as not to further derail the thread about real-life examples.)

Top Bottom