Finally figures out how I like to play :)

lindsay40k

Emperor
I got into Civ V when I got a new laptop, and came into it from Civ IV. I enjoyed the Diplomatic and cultural wins in the latter, and came into this trying to play similarly. TBH I got kind of bored with turtling until a Great Musician supergroup assault and of Mussoilini'ing whoever built Alhambra, and during summer it would make my GPU get scarily hot so I had a break and played my Wii U instead. I've just got back into afresh and have been approaching it very differently, having spent August on this:

Fire Emblem (GameBoy Advance)

My approach nowadays is to play high difficulty and slow speed, build four Archers, a couple of melee units, give them names ASAP, take Tradition and Honor policies, and send a warband a-conquering. The world and battlefield maps are one and the same, and character class changes are unlocked by an economy minigame. Civ V didn't work for me as an economy-building game, but as a tactical RPG it's great! Has anyone made a mod that really focusses on this approach? I'd love to see named enemy units, and maybe a bit more of unit support - my healers are cool, and my GGs are like Bards, but I'd like to see more!

Also: I was a bit nonplussed by Beyond Earth, but having heard about the quests involved in victory conditions, I'm now really excited about coming into it as a sci-fi t-rpg. I hope it's backwards moddable so that we can remake Civ V and use that system!

Edit: in my musings of mods I'd like to see, here's something - I'd like GGs to be attachable to a unit, whereupon the unit gets a free promotion. The promo would be limited to stuff like General (nearby friends get better attack), Marshall (same, but for defence), and various faction-specific battle abilities (for instance, Bushido, or the Minutemen/Pracinha one). And when you kill a GG, there could be bonuses - say, an archaeological relic if you charge them and capture their weapon, or the killer unit gains Fear.

It'd be nice to have unit graphics redrawn as a single warrior, as well.

Top Bottom