Looting Great works

Nonevah

Prince
When you take a city that has great works in it, do you always get them? Or is there a percent chance the great works will be destroyed, like with buildings?

Also, can you loot great works of music (I know you can't trade them.)?

Interesting question. I know for sure that you can get get the works when you conquer a city, but I never thought that they could be destroyed, I always imagined that the AI moves them away when possible if you are about to conquer the city.

I'd assume which building it was in would function as that.

Some buildings won't be destroyed, like the Wonders, but some can be, like the Museum and, I assume, the palace?

So you would lose a great work in a museum if the museum was destroyed, but you wouldn't lose the great works in a wonder, since the wonder isn't destroyed.

I'm trying to remember what happened last time to me. I got three great works for capturing Amsterdam, but they were all inside the various wonders. I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

I've never been offered a great work upon capture and told to house it somewhere new because there's nowhere in the captured city to store it. Which tends to suggest the idea that great works can be destroyed if their building is destoyed.

When you take a city that has great works in it, do you always get them? Or is there a percent chance the great works will be destroyed, like with buildings?

Also, can you loot great works of music (I know you can't trade them.)?

I've gotten a Great Work of Music from a revolt, so yes, you can loot those.

I think as long as the place they were stored survives the capture you keep all of them. (e.g. Hermitage and Oxford are auto destroyed, Assyrian Royal Libraries get converted to regular libraries upon capture if they even survive)

Yes, AI can move them to safety if you are instead using military.

They do get destroyed if you have no room for them.

As far as I know if you have enough room, those extra things get moved to a nearest/fittest city with a appropriate slot.

Keep in mind that you can't move your works if there's nowhere to put them. And, in my experience the AI is pretty bad about protecting its works. I don't think that there's a way to sell the works, but even if there was, it would be unnecessary because you can always wheel and deal them with the other Civs for the theming bonuses.

They do get destroyed if you have no room for them.

As far as I know if you have enough room, those extra things get moved to a nearest/fittest city with a appropriate slot.

That is my experience too. If I take a city with great works stored in a building that is destroyed, those works get moved to any open spot in any legal opening in my civ, starting with the closest. If there is no spot, only then are they removed from the game.

Just a side note about capturing works: if you liberate a city with works in it, you do not get to keep them. This is unfortunate when going for a cultural victory, in that it puts you in the awkward position of NOT liberating a CS if you need the work for a theming bonus. (I still liberate by the way, I just groan and grouse about it.)

I always wonder what the heck Bogota is going to do with Monet's Water Lilies.

Just a side note about capturing works: if you liberate a city with works in it, you do not get to keep them. This is unfortunate when going for a cultural victory, in that it puts you in the awkward position of NOT liberating a CS if you need the work for a theming bonus. (I still liberate by the way, I just groan and grouse about it.)

True, it annoyed the heck out of me one game, Delhi was across the map from me, and I planned on liberating it, as Gandhi had been wiped out.

I figured freeing a couple of his cities could reduce the power of a runaway over there and my warmonger penalty at the same time, but...

Delhi and Mumbai both had like 4 great works each. I couldn't stand to liberate them with so much awesomeness. I ended up taking them, selling them back to the warmonger after peace, then liberating them in my next war.

I don't think you destroy great works if there are places in your empire to place them. I remember capturing a capital and when I checked to see what loot I had gotten the game placed art in some of my cities as the captured city no longer had enough slots for the art. Although art could also have a separate chance of being destroyed and in the example I gave more buildings were destroyed than art.

There's a problem with this aspect of the game, because I had seen many decisive answers to it here and they never seem to agree with what I experience in game. The most annoying thing is then I visit the city right after conquest and it houses a full set of artifacts, ie. a writing, a music piece and two painting, but when I annex or puppet it, some of these vanish. And I do have room in other cities to house them.

One theory says that if there is a culture building with an artifact, it never gets destroyed.
Other theory says that these buildings get destroyed and you need room in other cities to store works of art or they get destroyed.
Another theory insists that you'll get whatever cannot be moved to other cities of the defender, and culture buildings that housed moved works will get destroyed.

I'm the closest to believing the last one.

To the best of my knowledge:

1) The AI tries as best as possible to move Great Works out of cities it's in danger of losing. It only starts seriously losing great works when it has more Great Works than it can house elsewhere.

2) Great Works are not destroyed by the conquering of the city, but can be lost if the buildings housing them in that city are destroyed, and you have no place to put them; e.g. capturing the Capital and getting the Art in the Palace, but your own Palace is full and you have no Cathedrals/Museums/Hermitage/etc.

The most annoying thing is then I visit the city right after conquest and it houses a full set of artifacts, ie. a writing, a music piece and two painting, but when I annex or puppet it, some of these vanish.

What do you mean by “right after conquest”? My impression is that “view city” (before the raze/puppet/annex choice) is often misleading, and that several building end up not surviving the capture. Or are you saying that annexing causes great works to vanish?

To the best of my knowledge:
1) The AI tries as best as possible to move Great Works out of cities it's in danger of losing. It only starts seriously losing great works when it has more Great Works than it can house elsewhere.
2) Great Works are not destroyed by the conquering of the city, but can be lost if the buildings housing them in that city are destroyed, and you have no place to put them.

I think both of these are correct, except that I think the AI is less careful than a human player would be as saving their Great Works.

Taking my time to munch through AI's, I don't raze victim cities, I use them for foreward bases, looting for the Home cities, and plopping museums , OHouses, for spare storage .
With 40+ cities, I'll never get the Hermitage, but all the looted GW's have a place to go .
IF the AI's do manage a counter-attack, all they'll get is an empty city ... (imagine Our alleged sympathy) .
Taking a page from the AI, I now bee-line capitals, and split up AI's into bite-sized bits, to finish off later; if/when I want/need to.

I'm pretty sure that you can keep the captured great works.. Captured cities that used to generate a lot of tpt can sometimes increase your tourism. I'm not sure if the ai moves the great works before capture (like it moves air units which are very obvious to see when they're moved) or if the great works somehow get destroyed (i.e museum with 2 great works destroyed and there was no more space for great works in other places in your empire).

This is a corner case that really should be fixed. You should be able to plunder the great works just like you plunder the gold. Balancing and realism both support this imo.

I would at least use 'view city' before picking any other option - then you could determine if the works are still there or if they've been forced to another city you own.

Top Bottom