So how did you get into Civilization?

I think it was 1994 when my brother's friend brought Civilization for him in a flop disk (is that correct? Flop disk?)

My brother played for a while but I loved it!

I loved the fact that I could be Alexander the great and face Napoleon's army or buy some technologies from Gandhi.

I remenber my first win was with the chinese and I conquered the world only with catapults and cannons.

Ah... I loved the palace building too! You could make a real mess with all styles available!

You play diplomacy? Big fan of it myself. Anyways, I discovered civ right here with civ 5. I find myself mainly playing strategy games as well, but only when I found civ 5 did I make the transition from board games to the pc. I just happened to notice it on a sale one day, that's all there is to it.

You're copying the second reply to the thread, no idea why.

Anyway, I got into civ right with Civ V. It was playable free for the weekend on Steam around the time G&K came out, played it for a bit and fell in love. A few weeks later I discovered G&K and bought it, and realized how much better it was than vanilla. Been hooked on the game ever since.

Think I can beat most of you.

As a kid I copied a lot of games on the Amiga - hardly played most of them mind. Yes I was wicked etc... One day I copied a game called Civilization (4 discs I think!) (this might have been about 1990/1991?). Started playing it...couldn't stop.

A few years later I got a Windows 95 PC and bought Civilization 2 for it of course - then the addiction really started and has continued to this day... In defence of my copying of the first game, I have bought every version and add-on for Civilization ever since. So I think Ive more than made up for my crime! ;)

In March of 2008 I attended a Video Games Live concert, where the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra allowed me to hear Baba Yetu for the first time. I figured a game with that quality of music must be awesome in other ways and was worth a look. A month later I visited my brother-in-law and his wife, and as it happens he played a lot of Civ IV, and he introduced me right then. Bought BTS later that year and got some good time with it, especially during a brief period of unemployment. One day I think I played for 10 hours, the refreshing autumn breeze flowing through my home office windows. I eventually got my high school choir to sing Baba Yetu at their fall concert, and it was the standout hit of the night.

Tragically, a long dry period followed: I discovered Facebook later that year and spent more time with its games (much of it wasted, admittedly). I knew I wanted to get back into Civ, but only once I was ready to commit enough hours-long blocks to it. I bought vanilla Civ V for my birthday in 2012, but, hearing about deficiencies in the game experience, stuck it out until G&K arrived and I felt more committal. I bought it a year later, just in time to share it with my niece during a weekend visit. The game was my birthday present to her the following month, and we got in a few online rounds before her mom's laptop crapped out.

These days, with me parenting a 1-year-old, I'm lucky if I get an hour a week to game. Four months ago I won a domination victory I'd been working on for the year prior. I know that will change as my daughter becomes more independent. I can't wait to introduce the game (VI?) to her, and I would love for us to eventually play together one night a week and--homework permitting--pick one Saturday a month to play ALL DAY. :D

Baba Yeti?! I really hated that music and loved the day I installed Warlords which replaced that god-awful cheesy racket!

A co-worker gave me the diskettes and told me to buy a sound card to really enjoy the game. I loaded up the game and stared at a mostly black screen and finally figured out what to do mostly by coping what the AI civs were doing.

That was CIV1 and I have bought all the others since then. Each one was better than the last. So now waiting for Friday to start a new version. I'm retired now and can play a lot more and having a lot of fun.

When I was a kid my dad and my uncle had a print shop. One day, I got on my uncle's computer and found Civ I. I was about 10, and I was immediately hooked by a game where I could build my own cities, railroads, armies and wonders. The next year, my dad bought the game for me as a thank you present for a circumstance when I looked after my younger siblings. So I guess its a family thing. I've never stopped playing since then, though I didn't have money for civ II or III when they came out. Even after 20 years, I still think Civ I and Alpha Centauri are a blast to play.

Happened in early 2012 - Civ 5 was the installment that pulled me in, but not directly:

I'm a massive hockey fan so I watch Johnny Superbman's 2BC Productions on YouTube (gaming channel centered around the EA Sports NHL games & also real world NHL commentary/opinions).

He started to do non-hockey gameplay, and played a Let's Play Rome in Civ 5 w/out expansions. The way he told stories with enthusiasm and the way he immersed himself in roleplaying-like ways - ways that I still haven't seen by any other Civ YouTubers - made it really enjoyable to watch and made me want to buy the game.

However, as a hugely patriotic person (of Indonesia), and as someone who doesn't play video games too often, I didn't really feel the urgency to purchase Civ, instead playing borrowed copies. After playing these borrowed copies, I became hooked in ways I hadn't felt since my childhood growing up with the N64.

As someone who champions for Indonesia in real life (unrelated to video games) in working to bridge the gap between Southeast Asia and the Western world, I genuinely felt they were a neglected world power both historically and in modern times, and I wondered why they weren't in Civ and had never been in any Civ installment. So I joined these forums for the sole purpose of pushing hard for their inclusion. (So much so that I became "that Indonesia guy" around here for a little bit). I saw a video game as the perfect opportunity to push for awareness, because traditional ways of getting people to care about the outside world just doesn't work anymore for most people.

When BNW announced Indonesia, I saw that as reason to buy it, and since then it's probably become my most played video game, besides FIFA.

Well it's like this: we were poor farmers and times were hard. One day I got sent to market to sell our cow. On the way I met this mystical fellow called Sid who offered me some beans for poor old Daisy. I wasn't too sure but he offered to throw in a disc to sweeten the deal, so I accepted. My folks weren't too happy with me and threw the beans away (but I kept the disc). The next day (whilst my family were messing about with a huge tree thing that had grown overnight) I loaded up the disc and was instantly transported to a magical world...I've rarely been home since, and that was a few years ago.
:)

Top Bottom