Sunflower Seeds - Spit Out The Shells or Eat Them Whole?

What do you do with the shells?

• Total voters

Red Door

Man of Mayhem
I love sunflower seeds, absolutely love them. On average, I go through 2 bags a week in the summer.

Anyways, my question to the sunflower seed eaters, do you eat the shell, or do you spit it out?

I personally do both, but 95% of the time I eat the shell.

Also, what brands do you guys eat? I thought people only David's, but apparently, there are other kinds in the US.

Spit em out. I eat the shell probably less than 1/4 of the time.

Don't know of any other brands but I don't eat sunflower seeds that often, I eat more pistachios.

side note: Does Mulder eat Davids? I can't quite remember.

Suck off the salt and spit 'em out.

I do both, though usually I will eat the shell. The only problem with that is sometimes a piece of it splinters and gets stuck in your gum. That doesn't stop me!

The only the ones eating sun flower seeds in this house are my birds and they eat it all leaving a giant mess to be spread every where when they take off after eating........I hate sun flower seeds.

It's cheaper if you buy them in the bulk bins without the shells.

About $1.50/lb for organic ones. You can roast them yourself and add your own salt (or eat them raw). Save much money. You can sprout them too to increase the water & protein content and decrease the fat somewhat. :)

No shells.

Well, maybe chew on one every now and then, just for kicks.

About $1.50/lb for organic ones. You can roast them yourself and add your own salt (or eat them raw). Save much money. You can sprout them too to increase the water & protein content and decrease the fat somewhat. :)

alternatively, you can also grow your own sunflowers, which is even cheaper but also more time consuming. (I have done that)

Anyway, I don't know if we are talking about the same species of seeds, but eating the shells, you say? Even when you pick them up from the flower the shells are too hard to be eaten. If they are a bit dried, there is no way to eat them without damaging your guts in the long run. So, I spit them out.

The brand, Facundo, of course.

"Siento dejar este mundo
sin probar pipas Facundo"

When my bird does something we want him to do or if we need to put him in the cage, we bribe him with sunflower seeds. It's like candy to him (as he eats pellets and he loves to raid the budgie's seeds).
Yeah I don't eat sunflower seeds

Suck off the salt and spit 'em out.

Eh? You dont crack em open to eat the seeds?

Anyway, I usually put a handfull into my mouth and put them in between my cheek and gun and use my tongue and teeth to crack them open 1 at a time, suck the seed out and then spit out the shell. No hands required.

Also, I would be carefull just eating them shells and all. I once had a friend that did this and ended up going to the hospital for intestinal blockage....not fun.

When my bird does something we want him to do or if we need to put him in the cage, we bribe him with sunflower seeds. It's like candy to him (as he eats pellets and he loves to raid the budgie's seeds).
Yeah I don't eat sunflower seeds

My cockateil will come hauling at full speed from anywhere she is when I open the bag of budgie seed like its crack. I give her pumpkin seeds as a treat.

So does anyone know how to grow sunflower seeds? I have left over soil and pots from previous farming endevors.

I almost always spit 'em out, but sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I'll eat the shells, too.

I grow my own sunflowers, and one of my favorite things to do is (if the birds don't attack 'em first) cut off the heads and eat 'em raw right out of the head. It's the coolest presentation ever. Once in a while you'll find a bug, though.

Why the hell would you do that when you can do that without the work for $2.35 at 7/11?

Also, I would be carefull just eating them shells and all. I once had a friend that did this and ended up going to the hospital for intestinal blockage....not fun.

That's what I've heard, I usually chew the shells up first, so I don't think it's too big of a problem.

So does anyone know how to grow sunflower seeds? I have left over soil and pots from previous farming endevors.

Have you tried by just planting the seeds? Not roasted, of course. I have taken care of them when I was at the countryside but my uncles were the ones who actually sow the seeds.

My guess is that you just have to make a hole in the soil and put seeds, not roasted. I don't think you need special seeds, just the ones that come out of the flower. It is a bit late by now.

here you have how to do it:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6752_grow-common-sunflower.html

That's what I've heard, I usually chew the shells up first, so I don't think it's too big of a problem.

Over time it can be. It can lead to diverticulitis, which isnt something you want to experience later on in life.

I would advise against continuing to do that.

Why the hell would you do that when you can do that without the work for $2.35 at 7/11?
It's less work to buy a few pounds of higher quality for cheaper and then put them in lil' zip lock bags (you can buy pre-roasted too if you prefer), then you don't have to stop into 7-11 every time you're hungry. It's also less work than starting a thread on CivFanatics. When you factor in the weight of the shells and realize that you get far less than a pound for your $2.35 you'll see the you save money. Your use of extraneous phrases like "the hell" belie your intention of not wanting to do extra work.

Anyway, it's more satisfying to achieve things yourself instead of always buying prepackaged crap with a markup, IMO.

Shelless seeds are way better and much less hassle.

Top Bottom