End of Empires - N3S III

Excellent update. The economic map was especially good.

To: Seshweay

You are a mighty kingdom. Be honored that it is our desire to cast down your rulers, burn your cities, and take all that you hold dear for our own. We shall wage unceasing war upon your borders, until we stand triumphant rulers over a vast nation of conquered slaves.

The Ailuttorutto militaries were born of simple warbands, gangs of thugs under the pay of the local rich man or under the power of the local strongman. Over time, these paymasters became the aristocrats of the increasingly sophisticated and cultured Ailuttorutto towns, and the gangs of thugs eventually became professional soldiers or citizen-militia, depending on what town or city was being talked about.

Lutto, for example, had a system of citizen-militia who were called to arms whenever the city was in peril. The richest would have the best equipment, while the poorest would be stuck with slings and javelins and barely any armor. This sufficed for Lutto, for its citizens were particularly prideful of their city, and the threat of slave revolt kept everyone on their toes.

The border towns inland, in contrast, had a system of professional soldiers and mercenaries. It was a highly competitive environment there, for wealthy merchants and businessmen-aristocrats would lead sorties into "barbarian" territory every so often to get a slice of the lucrative slave trade. Professional soldiers often worked for pay, but only under the directive of the local oligarchies. Mercenaries, meanwhile, served the purposes of merchants.

In the cities not engaged in the acquisition of slaves, drilling and serving in the standing militia is a civic duty. Non-compliance means death or slavery, depending on the judges and their interpretation of the laws (though this would change later, when the laws are finally massively codified, which would coincide with the establishment of the state of Lutto). Maintaining the militia is not a problem, however, for young men are often eager to prove their masculinity with service in the military.

When the central power of Lutto was to be established, things would change out of necessity. However, with the current system of a top oligarchy and subservient oligarchies, changes were unnecessary, but change was not to be held off for long in any society or in any aspect of society.

Excellent update, as well I can see this will likely be a complicated NES :) . One last question. Leheb is Opulensi people, aren't they, and also, is colonization at this point particularly far fetched?

A large crowd had gathered around the building where the Chief Kroth of the Krato family, would unify his nation. He had welcomed all of the families, big or small, loved or hated, to put aside their differences and work things out at a great in his halls. Chiefs of almost 70 families attended the feast.

At first, things were a bit rocky. The Suko family had been charged with stealing elephants from traders. Chief Kroth decided to fine the Suko family heavily for 5 years in exchange for the elephants. The money from the fines would be given to the poorer trading families to stop their complaints. Many similar cases were discussed in the halls.

But there were still many other complaints and issues to deal with. However, this meeting of families did help. For the first time members of most of the families in Krato had been under one roof. They discussed trade, war, agriculture. Soon, instead of arguing and throwing accusations, the various chiefs were working together and co-operating to solve issues. What had at first been squabbling and yelling had now turned into co-operation and understanding. Even after the feast was eaten, the chiefs continued to talk. Days went by as the discussions carried on. Then, Kroth rose.

"My many brothers, rulers of your kin, have we not found unity in these halls?” Kroth asked. None of the chiefs could disagree.

“I would like for you all to consider this. What if each family sent a representative to this city to discuss all the happenings of our great country? All days would be like this one. We’d discuss problems, find solutions, and plan for a better future. All of those who support this idea say ‘aye’.”

The room was filled with booming voices yelling “Aye!”.

“All of those whom oppose these meetings say ‘nay’” Kroth yelled over the tidal wave of voices. Suddenly, all grew quiet. None had said nay. Kroth grinned. He had accomplished his goal.

“Then this shall be the Council of Chiefs. I’d like all of you to go to your families and tell them of all that happened here. Be quick, for I’ll need you here at all times now.” Kroth told the newly formed Council.

And so the chiefs returned to their families and told them of this new. While most were shocked, few could disagree with their leader’s decision. Squabbling started to decrease. Crimes were discussed at the Council Building, and not on a battlefield. Those whom did not like the new council kept their words quiet for a united Krato meant a unified military. Those whom openly opposed the Council were usually labeled as criminals and jailed.

OOC: Cool, elephants. I wonder what I'll use those for.:mischief:

I intend to put a story liater, but I want the Seshweay to be a fair fight- can I have it that I don't get a story bonus unless they do?

If you want. :p

Also, what mix is Jania of Seshaway and Arkage?

Well, it's mostly Arkage, but it has certain aspects of the Ancestor Cult mixed into its mythology. There is also something of a democratic feeling among the cities; Kargan already has some agitators for independence.

No comment on the validity of this story. :p

Are we meant to send orders the way we did last time or a different way?

They're basically the same as last time. I expect this update to cover pretty deep into the Bronze Age. Your's were on the short side, so feel free to up them in length. On the other hand, you could consider the notion that I found them refreshingly short. :p

When are orders due?

Orders are due on Saturday.

Yes, this is fairly soon. I want a quick update cycle, don't you? :p

Drawing showing the battle of Jahip

I love it! :lol:

I've got another question for you North King. The blue area with Asandar written under it is it one of my nations the Republic of Asandar or is it Ninja Dude's Uggor?

Asandar is blue. The main Uggor kingdom is Krato.

One last question. Leheb is Opulensi people, aren't they

Nah, they are Arta Xorti, though you can expect that some Opulensi customs have been picked up.

and also, is colonization at this point particularly far fetched?

Depends on what kind of colonization we're talking about. Given the breadth of the next update, you probably have a good shot at colonizing across your own local sea.

Speaking of which...

Notice to all players:

Those of you with more than one nation ought to choose one to lead for the next update, though you can certainly suggest NPC actions.

I will see about getting stats done tonight, though I'm having trouble deciding on how detailed to make them.

Since were only one turn in, I doubt it really needs much at all since we know what we sent.. it will get increasingly important in the future.

As a minimum all we need is a list of players and their nations, and the NPC's!

To: Jalin Nak of the Duroc

Our council had decided to increase trade with your people. A Mutual Defense Pact sounds good. May our people become close allies in the years to come.
P.S. There is no king. Only the Chiefs.

OOC: So I'm guessing we can start diplomacy.

To those that you would reasonably have contact with, yes

Diplomacy is okay if it's between peoples like the Duroc and the Uggor, or either of them and the Liealb. Only the Liealb can communicate across the Kotthorn mountains. Similarly, Arkage can communicate with Serat, but no one else from the Sesh valley can communicate with the Had Valley or vice versa. The nations around the Kern Sea have an extremely difficult time communicating with anyone, including their neighbors.

Also, the next update will cover something like five hundred to a thousand years, so it's probably not a good idea to get too detailed. At most you can form general friendships or declare eternal hatred.

EDIT: Changed my mind.

Who is the leader (player) of the Liealb?

Who is the leader (player) of the Liealb?

Kal'thzar.

To: The Council of Chiefs of the Uggor

I am delighted about your acceptance I see are nations will become good friends and the Senate are also delighted that you have accepted the proposal. You truly have made the Republic of the Duroc's day. Thank you once again.

To: Jalin Nak of the Duroc
Good to hear. We have a question for your nation. Could you allow us access to the Galas Sea to the south? We ask for no land. Just permission for our food gathering families to venture there and fish.

Top Bottom