Just one... More... Turn...

Primacide

Settler
What's the most shameless reason you've taken a civ game WAY beyond when you could have finished?

I just ran a game out to turn 518, because for some reason I got it in my head that I had to complete every freakin' policy. Every tree. Every stupid policy. I can't tell you how many writers I burned. I owned the world except for Swedens capital, so you can imagine the policy costs. I think my last one was ~65,000. Can anyone top that for ridiculous end of turn marathons?

(I am not proud - I'd gladly let someone else have the title "Worlds biggest time waster")

Usually I finish my games at 1-2 in the morning, so I'm racing to get it over with. The most I've gone after winning was 10 turns, because I had Venice at size 62 and I wanted to see how big I could get it, but then I got nuked by Napoleon so I rage quit (is it possible to rage quit after you've already won?)

Ha! That's a rage win. You don't hear about many of those. Man, I guess I'm the only fool whose seen the turn timer hit 500.

My last game (emperor Venice OCC, small archipelago) finished at turn 372 (diplomatic victory for yours truly), but I played on until around turn 480.

Two of the other civs denounced me about 2/3s of the way through the game, so I just sat back to see if they'd DoW me. I was dead last in military all game long, but once I hit Nanotech & Nuclear Fusion, I hit the top of the demographics (GDRs and XCOMs are just ridiculous). Suffice it to say, nobody bothered me beyond trash talking, so I finally got bored and closed it out. :p

(And, I can sympathize with the whole policy thing... that's why I predominantly play Poland when I fire up the game. Venice is my other go-to for casual games, though.)

I went up to year 2080 (idk which turn) in one of my games because I wanted to see how long will it take for every civ and CS to take me out completely. After all your cities are gone and all your units are destroyed the game literally plays itself.. you just watch (or exit)

Longest I've played is year 1999. I won 1918 via cultural victory and wasted 70 turns because my wide empire was just getting off the ground. I wanted to see how powerful it would become (was India). At turn 1999 I had the most ridiculous beakers per turn I've ever seen, like 5x a normal end-game. Reason being all my cities were 20+ and I had many cities (25 or so). I also had 2 jungle/mountain cities that I wanted to see mature and felt free to go settle the world after the game ended, knowing it wouldn't hurt me any longer to do so as I was already into future techs. The world is always descending into war and anarchy when I win so sometimes it is fun to join the fray and fight some after the end, especially if you have some nukes lying around. That particular game I think only 6 AI survived on the huge map. There were a lot of super-empires.

I was playing as the Inca, and I was third to choose an ideology. I chose Freedom while the Celts and Brazil had chosen Order. As the game went on I started realizing that Order was going to be the dominant ideology in the game, it was something like this.
Freedom:
1. Me
2. Byzantium (My neighbors who hated me)

Order:
1. Celts
2. Brazil (Tourism powerhouse, was influential with just about everyone except for me by the end of the game)
3. Denmark
4. Egypt (Which I decimated early game, and left with only their capital)
5. America
6. Portugal
7. Japan
8. The Zulu
9. Spain (Converted from Autocracy)

Me, Byzantium, Denmark, and Egypt were in the same continent

The Celts, Brazil, and America were in another continent (America had killed off Songhai in the early renaissance era)

Portugal and Japan were in another continent

The Zulu had a continent all to themselves (They had killed off England before I met them), and Spain had an island arc to themselves

I won a pretty easy diplo victory, but there was a deep burning desire in my soul to show every one the error in their commie ways so I set out to convert them. When I won I was influential with Byzantium, Egypt, Japan, America, and the Zulu, the only thing keeping them in the Order ideology was that Brazil and the Celts were both influential as well. The only thing I needed to do was become influential with Brazil, make ol' Pedro switch to freedom and watch the rest of them fall down like Dominoes... but I simply didn't have the patience.

One to add: a game as China where I got it in my head to reduce the last civ to their capital, and then eat all his land till he only had the tile the city was founded on. I spent god knows how many turns finishing honor and saving faith to buy generals. I stocked them up and then stole every bit of land he had left. It was a thing of beauty. I stuck around for a couple more turns to watch his population go from 30 to 5.

Then I mercy killed the jackass. End: turn 431.

Top Bottom