Terracotta army broken?

JofOblie

Chieftain
I've built the Terracotta Army twice now, and both times it has given me far fewer units than it should have. I had 4 swordsmen and 2 scouts. It gave me 1 scout and 1 swordsman. The other time I had many composite bowmen and a few warriors, yet it gave me 3 units at most. There's plenty of unoccupied spaces around the city I built it in, so it's not that there isn't enough room. Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

It gives you one of every type of unit you have. It doesn't double your amount of units. Pity it didn't give you another worker...

Yes, as has been said, that is the intended behavior. I like to have an archer, a CB, a warrior, a spearman, and maybe one mounted unit before I build this (which is admittedly rare). Also having an early UU from a military CS may change my ideas about building this wonder . . .

Oh, right, I see now. Doesn't seem to be worth the hammers and competing with the AI to get it then...

Oh, right, I see now. Doesn't seem to be worth the hammers and competing with the AI to get it then...

Or the extra maintenance cost to boot! Gold is hard enough to come by early game and wrecking your economy is only viable if you're making a big investment in terms of war. The Engineer point is nice, but not worth it. There are much better things you could build instead.

Consider its other upside as "AI Bait".

Definitely a wonder whos primary purpose seems to be to give you a headache when your warmonger neighbor builds it. I did use it once for good effect as Assyria, where I had a scout, a warior, an archer, a comp. bow, a spearman, a swordsman, a siege tower and a horseman when I build it, but that is the only time I've ever had an army significant enough to make it worth the trouble before AI takes it.

Don't think I have ever focused on building Terracota Army in BNW, used to built it for the culture boost but that's been transferred to the Parthenon.

I think they might've run out of decent ideas for the wonder. Could've just done with a unit maintence cost decrease, would've made more sense tbh.

Terra Cotta can be awesome on Emperor. Immortal can be a little harder to get TC *and* the units to replicate on time before the AI builds it. But, if you pick up Holy Warriors in your religion, you can just faith-buy your units for cheap and then replicate them.

It does balloon your maintenance costs, but what that means is you have to actually use them. They need to be pillaging, sacking cities, barb hunting their way to 30xp, puppeting. You can run in the red on your gpt for quite awhile so long as you're pillaging and looting.

I suppose that it can be good for a rush if you can time it to the point that it will be finish when you want to start sending your units over. Other than that, its pretty much a one trick pony. Not advisable for anything other than a rush.

Oh, no - do it right and Terracota Army is awesome. Just make sure you have one of every time of military unit that's available to you before you finish building it.

It's kind of a catch-22 on the higher difficulties. If you have enough units to make it worthwhile, you can't build the Wonder in time, and if you can build the Wonder in time you don't have enough units to make it worthwhile.

Some luck with a Militaristic CS *might* make it worth building, but I can't say I've ever felt like it was worthwhile.

It's kind of a catch-22 on the higher difficulties. If you have enough units to make it worthwhile, you can't build the Wonder in time, and if you can build the Wonder in time you don't have enough units to make it worthwhile.

Some luck with a Militaristic CS *might* make it worth building, but I can't say I've ever felt like it was worthwhile.

If I'm on a map where there is no good place to build a 3rd city I'll start looking at my neighbors cities and thinking 'it's terracota army time'.

Yeah, it is pretty ironic. It might be more worthwhile if it gave you something besides the the units and the +1 culture, or maybe if the extra units had no maintenance cost or something.

I don't think I've ever built it in BNW. Seems hard enough to get a wonder that early, plus doesn't really seem worth it when any attacks during that time will have only 2 unit types involved (comp bows and warriors).

It gets my vote for most useless wonder.

It SHOULD instead just give you free maintenance on 6 or 10 units, even if it doesn't give you the units. Then it might be worth building.

If I'm on a map where there is no good place to build a 3rd city I'll start looking at my neighbors cities and thinking 'it's terracota army time'.

Sure, I understand that it's WAR time, but is it really Terracotta Army time? Unless you have a very diverse and early army, you'll probably get more units for less hammers by just building units.

The terracota can be unbelievable value as you transition from classical to medieval - when it often ends up being still available. Keep some units unupgraded and do it with

warrior + sword + spear + pike + chariot + horsemen + knight + archer + composite + crossbow

That's easily 3x or 4x production value.

then gold upgrade the generated units (and your units) and you instantly end up with an army that you can stomp an AI with, or catch a human player with complete surprise.

you end up with basically a nearly 1000 hammers worth of extra war power with a combination of terra and gold that an opponent would find extremely difficult to catch up to.

The terracota can be unbelievable value as you transition from classical to medieval - when it often ends up being still available. Keep some units unupgraded and do it with

warrior + sword + spear + pike + chariot + horsemen + knight + archer + composite + crossbow

That's easily 3x or 4x production value.

then gold upgrade the generated units (and your units) and you instantly end up with an army that you can stomp an AI with, or catch a human player with complete surprise.

you end up with basically a nearly 1000 hammers worth of extra war power with a combination of terra and gold that an opponent would find extremely difficult to catch up to.

Yup. When you're next to an early war-monger it makes all the difference between being the stomper and the stompee.

Or if war is your only option for expansion this makes it a piece of cake.

I'd rather build 4 composite for the same production, no chance of missing out and quicker deployment.

I'd rather build 4 composite for the same production, no chance of missing out and quicker deployment.
I think the argument has been that Terracotta army is worth building when you already have a large army. This is more plausible at low difficulty level, multiplayer or playing as Germany.

Top Bottom