Frequent crashes

tibbles

Warlord
This game crashes a lot. It seems to be worse the more stuff is happening, early game I usually get 20-100 turns crash free, late game I only get 1-10 turns. The game is also more likely to crash when ending a turn or opening a new view (say opening city assignment) than when moving a unit.

The game crashes more often on loading games or after alt tabbing.

The game nearly always freezes on exiting to Windows.

Usually it just locks up and gives the 'Windows encountered an error' message, but I've had the rare BSOD and reboot too.

I assume it's graphics related since a few times I've gotten the render crash notice along with the game crash, but unsure what's causing it.

I had no issue in classic or G&K (different card though...).
I've reformatted and reinstalled Windows and the game.
Tried 2 different driver versions.
Tried the GPU decode on and off (recommended to try in the tech support forum).
Turned down fog of war settings (also recommend to try).

I'm using a gtx770, so it's not like the card isn't powerful or new enough...

I noticed that as well. I never had crashes with Vanilla and/or G&K. BNW crashed like 3 times in the 4 hours I played the game. Worst thing for me is though, that I see no apparent reason why it does: One time I just started it up after a crash, loaded my game and went on to make myself a coffee. After I came back the game already came to a halt again. Hopefully they'll iron the bugs out, but Firaxis usually does a good job!

Interestingly enough, I've been playing a few hours tonight crash free. The difference: Windowed mode.
I'm not sure yet if it's luck or a real difference, but 4 hours crash free is highly unusual for me.

I'm wondering if it's something about the refresh rate?
I'm using a 120hz monitor and kept trying to use 1920*1080 119hz in game.
Windowed mode doesn't give a refresh option.

I don't care for windowed mode, but hey, if it stops my crashing I'll put up with it until it's patched.

Interestingly enough, I've been playing a few hours tonight crash free. The difference: Windowed mode.
I'm not sure yet if it's luck or a real difference, but 4 hours crash free is highly unusual for me.

I'm wondering if it's something about the refresh rate?
I'm using a 120hz monitor and kept trying to use 1920*1080 119hz in game.
Windowed mode doesn't give a refresh option.

I don't care for windowed mode, but hey, if it stops my crashing I'll put up with it until it's patched.

Interesting idea about the refresh rate. I'm using a BenQ 3D TNT panel, so my refresh rate is at 144 Hz. Though I have not seen a differebce crash wise between running the game in 2D vs. 3D Vision on.

This game crashes a lot. It seems to be worse the more stuff is happening, early game I usually get 20-100 turns crash free, late game I only get 1-10 turns. The game is also more likely to crash when ending a turn or opening a new view (say opening city assignment) than when moving a unit.

The game crashes more often on loading games or after alt tabbing.

The game nearly always freezes on exiting to Windows.

Usually it just locks up and gives the 'Windows encountered an error' message, but I've had the rare BSOD and reboot too.

I assume it's graphics related since a few times I've gotten the render crash notice along with the game crash, but unsure what's causing it.

I had no issue in classic or G&K (different card though...).
I've reformatted and reinstalled Windows and the game.
Tried 2 different driver versions.
Tried the GPU decode on and off (recommended to try in the tech support forum).
Turned down fog of war settings (also recommend to try).

I'm using a gtx770, so it's not like the card isn't powerful or new enough...

Same problems here - mainly with the full crash-out during the turn change being the most common. Like you, I have filed countless support requests & never get a solution apart from the tired, old "it must be your graphics driver" nonsense.
I have tried all map sizes (it is worse with huge & large) and turned all graphical options down as low as they will go.
I have a Quad Core system with 2GB Local RAM on XP SP3, with a 1GB Graphics card so I am NOT down on power.

Civ V is the most unstable game I have ever played & it seems to get worse with each new patch. Not better. Current version is BNW.

Top Bottom