Question re: Chateaus

VladTepes

Clown Prince of Wallachia
Can they be built on farms and mines, or will they replace them?

I was hoping since they give culture and gold they would act as an enhancement. It would give me reservations about choosing France because you either A.) have to leave tiles empty until you reach Chivalry, possibly hindering early growth or B.) choose whether to lose food and / or hammers to build one.

I was hoping since they give culture and gold they would act as an enhancement. It would give me reservations about choosing France because you either A.) have to leave tiles empty until you reach Chivalry, possibly hindering early growth or B.) choose whether to lose food and / or hammers to build one.

Choosing to leave tiles empty because you might one day build another improvement on them is just silly. There's no reason not to benefit from all that yield before building the Chateau.

And the tradeoff you make there is no different from one you make in choosing whether to farm or mine a hill next to a river.

You don't have to leave them empty, just replace the farm/mine when chivalry comes along.

They replace farms and mines to be sure, but I don't recall them replacing forts. Otherwise, they could only build forts next to luxuries. That would make front lines and choke points far more difficult to defend.

On a related note, I don't think there are any UI that replace the generic mines/farms/trading posts.

Kasbah replace fort, I thinks its the only one.

Yep, then again, fort are not really critical to a Civ success. With Great General giving a much better citadel, fort are nearly useless (in my very own humble opinion)

Yep, then again, fort are not really critical to a Civ success. With Great General giving a much better citadel, fort are nearly useless (in my very own humble opinion)

Citadels are obviously better, though I usually don't get more than a couple in a peaceful game.

Top Bottom