Land Transport of Aircraft & AI Aircraft usage

n003lb

Warlord
Does anyone know if it's possible to load an aircraft into a land vehicle? So far, I can't figure out a way to rebase an aircraft to a land unit. My idea here is to create a UAV unit that moves with the ground troops and carries a Predator Drone for recon and close air support. The other option is allow a ground unit to undertake air missions. I can't find a way to do this either. Not sure how useful this might be, given the fact that most ground operations are within range of regular aircraft.

The other question is, is it possible to get the AI to use an aircraft only for ASW duties? I am designing an Arliegh Burk DD for the game, which carries 2 Seahawk ASW helicopters. I am also planning to design a Blackhawk/Seahawk helo model to go with this. If I create an aircraft with heavy bonuses for attacking subs, and perhaps heavy penalties for attacking other units, and give it the Sea Assault AI, will the AI use it for ASW and recon only, or will it use it at all? Or will it use it like any other air unit and try to attack ground targets?

I'll try to do some trial runs when I get the time. I just want to see if anyone else has already tried, saving me from having to do it again.

i think that every unit can carry every unit. you just have to define it in the xml. it is in this 3 lines:
Code:
<SpecialCargo>SPECIALUNIT_FIGHTER</SpecialCargo>
<DomainCargo>DOMAIN_AIR</DomainCargo>
<iCargo>9</iCargo>
(copied from my modified ubercarrier)
so i don't see a problem that a ground unit can transport an air unit.
i don't know if a ground unit can do aircraft missions. you could test it ifyou give a ground unit the domain_air-tag.

i've also modded that a destroyer can transport the gunship, but the ai don't do it. so i don't expect that the ai knows how to use your helicopters properly.

Problems there is I cannot order a plane to rebase to a land unit. I tested it with Mech. Inf. I gave the Inf. the cargo tags of a carrier, including Domain_Air and the Speciaunit_Fighter. But when I try to order a fighter to rebase, the Inf. is not available. I can order it to rebase to a sea unit, but it won't let me select a land unit, even if it has the proper tags.

Giving a ground unit the DOMAIN_AIR tag simply makes it an aircraft, which then seems to ignore the units movement and makes it stationary.

As to the DD and helos being used to attack subs, your AI probably doesn't use the gunships because their land units. Did you try attaching the sea assault AI to the gunship? I've heard that helps the AI to use them more properly (assuming you are using the Flying Mod that is). This should not really be as much of a problem for me, since I plan to make my helicopters actually air units to begin with. They will be treated like fighters, but only really usable against subs. You could use them against other targets, but they would almost certainly loose.

Is there perhaps some way to restrict a unit's combat to only be able to attack certain other units? That, combined with the Sea Assault AI should make the AI use these properly, it would seem. Is there a forum here for AI programmers?

Top Bottom