New Civs - Confirmed Details

I'm not sure about the reliability of that German Article. Even besides the Sea Dagger misunderstanding, do you really think the Dutch will not lose happiness when they trade away their luxuries? I mean, that's a pretty insane ability, it means there is never a reason not to trade away luxuries.

I also doubt about Polders ''creating land''. Sure, it has happenend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flevoland). Especially marshes and lakes. But the only way to implement is on marshes. It's impossible to get a workboat on a lake tile and if it applies to coastal tiles it would be hugely overpowered. I'm not even so sure about the tullips to be honest, seems a bit odd to me.

I don't see the UA as being unreasonable. It's not as powerful as the Arabs' Bazaar building which doubles their total luxuries, the Dutch UA only increases the number of luxuries available to trade by 1 per type. The Arabs thus have (2X-1) units to trade wile the Dutch have X and every one else has (X-1). Having Tulips (and a sanctioned monopoly on them) helps the Dutch more than the UA.

I'm convinced that the unique unit is probably called Sea Beggar and the author misheard/misread.

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret what the author says about the Polder. Creating land is a bit too powerful.

I don't see the UA as being unreasonable. It's not as powerful as the Arabs' Bazaar building which doubles their total luxuries, the Dutch UA only increases the number of luxuries available to trade by 1 per type. The Arabs thus have (2X-1) units to trade wile the Dutch have X and every one else has (X-1). Having Tulips (and a sanctioned monopoly on them) helps the Dutch more than the UA.

You forget that the Dutch can do this right from the get-go.
One could easily make ~700 gold in the first 70 turns or so, which is essential for any rush, and still be able to expand for science or production.
I can definitely see the Dutch Longswordsman Rush becoming a popular strategy.

You forget that the Dutch can do this right from the get-go.
One could easily make ~700 gold in the first 70 turns or so, which is essential for any rush, and still be able to expand for science or production.
I can definitely see the Dutch Longswordsman Rush becoming a popular strategy.

Exactly. And this will only be exacerbated in multiplayer.

Yes, I believe the Dutch ability will be stronger than the Arabs' bazaar if this ability exists from the start of the game. The bazaar is stronger in itself, but only comes with Currency and it needs to be built first.
The Dutch can perhaps buy another settler from selling their initial luxes, now this would be really strong. But comparable to finding a natural wonder first if you're Spain or finding El Dorado first whoever you are.
Civ 5 does have a habit of handing out strong bonuses. This East Indian Company does seem to fit in in that respect.

Creating new land on the other hand I don't see fitting in well. We can consider the graphic as reliable, things don't get lost in translation in a screenshot. I see a tulip field, how else to explain the purple and yellow colours - but the story around it sounds pretty vague to me.

Does a Polder need to be an agricultural unlock? It would seem to me that you might need Machinery first (to build the windmill) or Construction (to make the dykes).

As far as trading luxuries right off the bat, They can do it only a little sooner. They still have to build a worker, discover whatever tech the resource requires, and have the worker improve one luxury tile instead of two. That's about 20 turns difference on the speed I play, assuming you have two tiles with the same luxury. Maybe they can get enough money to rush one additional unit at the start.

I didn't even think about that.
Then again, a smart player wouldn't fall for this tactic in multiplayer, even if the AI (which will probably be improved) will.

Fall for trading? Obviously you wont see gold for lux trades often in multiplayer. But the fact that one can expand extremely early trading for spare luxes only gives the Dutch ability to settle. But its worst will appear in team games. Being able to give your teamate ability to rapidly expand in multi as well will be crazy.

Does a Polder need to be an agricultural unlock? It would seem to me that you might need Machinery first (to build the windmill) or Construction (to make the dykes).

As far as trading luxuries right off the bat, They can do it only a little sooner. They still have to build a worker, discover whatever tech the resource requires, and have the worker improve one luxury tile instead of two. That's about 20 turns difference on the speed I play, assuming you have two tiles with the same luxury. Maybe they can get enough money to rush one additional unit at the start.

Polders do require some sort of machinery to get access to water, and the first polder is said to have been constructed in the 11th century, so Machinery seems to be a decent tech to unlock them.

Polders do require some sort of machinery to get access to water, and the first polder is said to have been constructed in the 11th century, so Machinery seems to be a decent tech to unlock them.

Actually economics would probably make the most sense historicly. But machinery makes more sense for gameplay, and economics comes pretty late too.

Well, a common tactic on deity is to settle on a mining luxury, tech mining and sell the luxury ASAP.

I wouldn't really put too much stock into these articles yet. We can know that there's 'something' trade related (lux type thing) for the Dutch, but not the actual UA - until we see it exactly.

The above statement can be made when we see too many possible U*'s for the Dutch, especially when there's potential for two lux related bonuses (tulips and a UA giving all happiness back). That doesn't seem that plausible to me.

and being able to 'keep' all happiness, even if you trade lux's away, just doesn't seem like a reasonably balanced UA (even if the UU/U* sucked). That would actually make the 'common' RA-spam/etc strategies on Deity even easier than in vanilla. I doubt that's meant to happen (making Deity even easier).

Scourge of God didn't really have to do much with religion aside from Romans believing that God was punishing them by sending the Huns. Although Attila thought it was awesome and actually used it as a title. It might be a cool title for an ability, but it doesn't necessarily have to do with religion.
Maybe make in a Pantheon belief that gives a combat bonus to any civ that has founded a religion. Sort of symbolizing Pagans vs. Organized Religion.

Yeah, you are right. Just to clarify, I meant this UA (or could be a wonder, religion etc. bonus) would give increased attack strength against cities with religion. First spreading your religion to the rival cities then conquering them. Would be a fun play style perhaps :)

I gotta be honest with those screens, is it just me or are the populations really high? I never saw mmost of my cities reach 20+ pop.

i'm really just expecting polders to turn marshes into a tile that gives you some food and tulips, maybe 2 or 3 of each

You've never seen populations that high? My populations sore to the 30's the highest population i had was 39

oh if you're wondering how i know it's carthrage the elephant symbol tells me it's carthrage. they probably conquered the huns cause attila's court is the hun capital most likely.

Top Bottom