The Civ Atlas: BNW Civs, City-States and Wonders on maps

I am indeed trying that thing of putting every single city in the game into a compiled Google Earth map.

...I am absolutely stuck on the Assyrian city of Sabata. It's somewhere in a region called Sittacene, and it's vague where that even is, as every city mentioned in it is unknown as to its location. It only seems to exist as a mention of Pliny or so in a writing of his, and otherwise absolutely nothing is known of it.

These maps are not playable (they aren't a mod, map scrip or this kind of thing). They're just images.

If you are looking for a playable map, try searching for something like "true starting location" or "Earth". There's a lot of nice mods out there. Here is one, for example.

I am indeed trying that thing of putting every single city in the game into a compiled Google Earth map.

...I am absolutely stuck on the Assyrian city of Sabata. It's somewhere in a region called Sittacene, and it's vague where that even is, as every city mentioned in it is unknown as to its location. It only seems to exist as a mention of Pliny or so in a writing of his, and otherwise absolutely nothing is known of it.

Good luck identifying the Persian cities. A lot of them are just mentioned in texts. Patigrbana? What is that?:confused:

Good luck identifying the Persian cities. A lot of them are just mentioned in texts. Patigrbana? What is that?:confused:

On a lot of them, I just end up...throwing my hands up and guessing based on approximations. Older empires require a decent bit of research and using alternate spellings, and the freaking Iroquois, two of their cities I get absolutely nothing for (Hahta and Kanawale). At least for the Shoshone, I get general areas that I can safely stick in whatever seems fitting, but ugh, I need SOMETHING.

And scenario civs, the Goths make me want to punch something. Yes I am doing scenario city lists hush. Freaking, Arheimar, it is not remotely a place. It's mentioned in their myth thing book as their capital, and that's it. All we have is that it's on the Dnieper, probably in Ukraine. Helps not a damn bit that on the actual Fall of Rome map it's not on the Dnieper whatsoever. GRRRR

On a side note, since I am making headway on this thing and am likely to post it somewhere, is there anything specific people might want on it? I'm marking down an assload of locations, more or less anything I could think of that could be put down on a map. Wonders of the World and Natural and even National varieties, city lists and city-states from scenarios and even specific wonders from them (most notably Wonders of the Ancient World and their renamed natural wonders), I'm even going as far as to try and mark down good locations for those unused barbarian city names. Of course, if there is anything I may not have thought of, feel free to suggest it.

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of finding things on maps, what about the leader screens? I'm sure that it would be possible to find a rough location for each one, for example, Napoleon is on some battlefield that people have managed to work out. It mightn't be possible for some leaders, but it would be something to try out. I might create a new thread later.

Anyway, back on topic, I think that there was some debate about King Solomon's Mines, if they were in the South somewhere or around Israel or thereabouts. Might want to label both, if you want to.

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of finding things on maps, what about the leader screens? I'm sure that it would be possible to find a rough location for each one, for example, Napoleon is on some battlefield that people have managed to work out. It mightn't be possible for some leaders, but it would be something to try out. I might create a new thread later.

Anyway, back on topic, I think that there was some debate about King Solomon's Mines, if they were in the South somewhere or around Israel or thereabouts. Might want to label both, if you want to.

I'm lost on most of the leader screen backgrounds

Darius-Persepolis

Elizabeth-London, I guess

Napoleon-Waterloo??

Bismarck-Berlin?

Catherine-Hermitage?

Ramesses- Thebes or maybe PiRamesses

Suleiman-Topkapi palace?

Wu Zetian-Chang'an

Oda Nobunaga-battlefield in Japan

Sejong-palace in Korea whpse name I forgot

Genghis-Mongolia, no idea where

Ramkhamhaeng-Sukhothai

Kamehameha-a beach in Hawaii, no clue which one

Gajah Mada-Trowulan I think

Gandhi-mouth of the Ganges???

Nebuchadnezzar: Babylon, where else?

Ashurbanipal-Nineveh?

Haile Selassie-his palace in Addis Ababa

Shaka-his kraal

Askia-Djenne, Timbuktu or even Gao

Dido-Carthage

Theodora-Constantinople

Ahmad al-Mansur-Moroccan desert

Isabella-Alhambra

Maria I-that palace in Portugal

Augustus-his humble residence on Palatine hill?

Harald Bluetooth-a boat somewhere

Gustavus-his palace, I assume

Casimir-a castle in Poland

Boudicca-East Anglia (land of the Iceni)

Maria Theresa-a palace in Austria

Alexander-is it Olympus in the background?

Attila-a tent in what is now modern Hungary?

Enrico Dandolo-Venice

Harun al Rashid-Baghdad?

Hiawatha-Upstate New York

Montezuma-Tenochtitlan

Pacal-Palenque

Pachacuti-Machu Picchu

Pedro II-his office

Pocatello-a canyon, no idea where

Washington-no clue, Mount Vernon, Philadelphia?, New York City?, definitely not DC

William-Amsterdam

I'm lost on most of the leader screen backgrounds
*snip*

Ahmad al-Mansur - Oasis in Morocco
Alexander - Achaia
Ashurbanipal - Royal Library
Askia - Djenné
Attila - His camp
Augustus Caesar - Imperial Palace
Bismarck - Stadtschloss
Boudica - Castle Law
Casimir III - Polish dungeon
Catherine - Hermitage Museum
Darius I - His palace in Persepolis
Dido - Her palace in Tyre
Elizabeth I - Her throne in Westminster
Enrico Dandolo - Venice
Gajah Mada - Outskirts of Trowulan
Gandhi - Ganges river
Genghis Khan - Mongolian steppes
Gustav Adolf - Stromsholm Palace
Haile Selassie - National Palace
Harald Bluetooth - Denmark Strait
Harun al-Rashid - His palace in Baghdad
Hiawatha - Onondaga
Isabella - Alhambra
Kamehameha - Maui
Maria I - Ribeira Palace
Maria Theresia - Swiss Alps
Moctezuma II - Pyramid of the Sun
Napoleon Bonaparte - Waterloo
Nebuchadnezzar II - Ziggurat
Oda Nobunaga - Honshu
Pakal - Temple of the Inscriptions
Pachacuti - Machu Picchu
Pedro II - His office in Rio de Janeiro
Pocatello - Channeled Scablands
Ramesses II - His throne in Thebes
Ramkhamhaeng - His garden in Sukhothai
Sejong - Gyeongbokgung Palace
Shaka - Ulundi
Suleiman - Inside the Hagia Sophia
Theodora - Jean-Joseph Benjamin-Constant's The Empress Theodora at the Colosseum
Washington - His house in Mount Vernon
Willem van Oranje - Johannes Vermeer's The Geographer
Wu Zetian - Her palace in Chang'an

I would just make two adjustments to the list above. I believe that Suleiman is in the Blue Mosque that he built, the interior of the Hagia Sophia does not match that of Suleiman's background. Also I would think that Napoleon is at Austerlitz, due to the fact that the scene is very foggy and that the battle of Austerlitz was during foggy weather-something that Napoleon actually used to his advantage

There's no way that Gandhi is standing at the mouth of the Ganges, which is a dead flat delta. I'm guessing the Indian leader screen is a fanciful one, either a made up landscape, or a random Indian one to which Gandhi has no particular relevance. It doesn't even look like Gujarat, which would be the obvious choice.

There's no way that Gandhi is standing at the mouth of the Ganges, which is a dead flat delta. I'm guessing the Indian leader screen is a fanciful one, either a made up landscape, or a random Indian one to which Gandhi has no particular relevance. It doesn't even look like Gujarat, which would be the obvious choice.

any rivers in Gujarat? :)

I should probably start a thread on this, if it looks like it works. Do you mind if I use your guesses when I set it up? :D

Permission granted :D

Top Bottom