Team Free Embassy

I wonder, what makes them think that... :crazyeye:
Well the turn before we finished SoZ we were building TGL in The Silo. Then zyxy hit for the cycle ;) and switched everything around. :crazyeye:
Maybe they don't know that you can prebuild a wonder with a Palace :eek: :D
At least they seem to lack some fantasy...

Ahh, let them think what they want about changing city names. I had enough of that arguement last game. :lol:

I don't think we have to worry about telling FREE about the great lighthouse - we were building it to keep us all safe and can just tell them that.

The map trade is the key thing here. Is it in our best interest to let FREE know what we know? They may already have figured it out and if they are just as much of a target for BABE as we are then we should help them prepare as much as possible. So if they crack the map too it would be good.

I think the name change came from them seeing The Silo build the GLib previously, and they must have thought it was our prebuild. We cannot have built TGL in The Silo, as it's not coastal.

Ok – lot to tackle here!

On Trading Maps: I think we should probably trade maps with FREE – but I'd like to try our territory map for their world map to start with. It may be perceived as cagey… but we really want to be the ones to settle that big Island between our peoples… and if we show them it's there, it could cause tension. As donsig noted, this kind seems like trying to sign a prenuptial agreement before our "marriage" – but I really don't want to help FREE get even more cities and land.
I think trading our TM for their WM is pretty close to the going consensus here anyway.

On Splitting Wonders: Since they brought it up, I do think it's a good idea to draft an agreement on who gets first-dibs on which wonder. It's one less thing to cause contention in our alliance. I think we can attempt a real coup here by offering to give FREE almost all of the wonders they identified as important, while giving us a bunch of the wonders they didn't even mention (Copernicus, Newton, Sistine… basically all the ones we want anyway!) – it's possible they just might go for that. It's worth a try, and if they cry foul, we can always go back and try to make the list more fair.
Only downside to us trying to grab both Copernicus and Newton is that we might have to slide Knights Templar over to FREE's side to make things balance. Really though, I think that's ok because we got the SoZ. Still, I'm going to keep it on our side to start with.

On Selling Tech to Saber: Given the quick reply we just got from Saber, we must push FREE for approval of our proposal to sell Construction for 216 gold with non-trading clauses. We'll need to offer FREE 108 gold out of that, obviously.

On Explaining the SoZ: I agree we should make a comment about it being for peaceful purposes… but let's just keep our mouths shut about the Great Lighthouse. As has been mentioned here, they should be able to figure it out on their own, but if not – let them be confused. There's really no benefit to explaining things, but there are risks… we might look patronizing, or like we're nervously trying to hide something… etc. FREE doesn't seem upset about it – so just a simple reiteration of our peaceful intent should be plenty.

So, with that… here's my proposal for a response… version 1!
Spoiler :

Dear FREE allies,

We are eager to welcome you into the middle ages! We await the hopefully good news of what new knowledge you'll bring to the table. Once we have word from you, we'll begin work on a MAAP II agreement – unless you beat us to it with your own draft of a MAAP for the Middle Ages!

We're sorry to hear about Azzaman333, and we send along our wishes for a speedy resolution of whatever hinders him. Until then, we look forward to working with Empiremaker.

In the meantime, there are 4 points we'd like to cover…

1) The Statue of Zeus
First of all, we just want to send along our personal assurances that the Statue of Zeus was built for purely defensive reasons, to help safeguard us from a potential Great Lighthouse powered attack by the Mounted Warriors of BABE. Rest assured, in the hands of The Council, these Ancient Cavalry are the agents of peace.

2) Trading Maps
We like the idea of trading maps with you, and are eager to do this. The most attractive proposal to us is the one Azzaman333 suggested before he had to leave – and that's trading our Territory map for your World map – as that will be a more equal revelation of exploring… but still sets a great benchmark for mutual trust as we reveal our lands to each other.

3) Splitting Wonders
You raise a very interesting idea about splitting the wonders. We see great value in this proposal, as it will save duplication of effort and save our alliance any potential trouble or hard feelings over wonder races. We think this agreement should cover every wonder in the Middle Ages, even ones that no-one is likely to build, just so that we're in agreement without chance of hard feelings if the situation changes.
You mentioned four wonders that you viewed as particularly valuable in the MA, and as a show of goodwill, we'd like to agree to put three of these on your side.
Here's our suggested division of the MA wonders…

Team FREE
  • Sun Tzu
  • Smith's Trading
  • Magellan's Voyage
  • Shakespeare's Theatre

The Council
  • Leo's Workshop
  • Copernicus Observatory
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Newton's University
  • Knight's Templar

What do you think? We're certainly open to negotiation on this.

4) Selling Tech to Saber
As we mentioned before, Saber has showed an interest in trying to buy some knowledge since we have refused to trade with them. We think this is a good opportunity for both us for two reasons… #1) It would be a great tragedy if Saber is conquered by BABE, and it would become very hard for either of us to win. #2) We have a chance to make some gold for both us to help power our research in the early Middle Ages.

The first deal with Saber we'd like to propose is that we sell them Construction (worth about 540 beakers in trade value… or less) for 216 gold (that's 40% or better). As a part of this deal, we'd demand that Saber doesn't trade Construction to anyone else.
If Saber agrees, that'd be 108 gold for both of us.
We hope you'll agree this is a good deal for both of us, and let us know if we can proceed.
(Please respond to this point in particular asap, as Saber likes to move quickly)

We look forward to hearing back from you!
To glory and bright future for both of us,

- General_W, speaking with the voice of the Council

How's that?
The sooner we can send something, the better, imo.
:salute:

We have to tell FREE when we meet BABE… but I don't see the value in weighing down this letter even further with that information?
Plus, we don't necessarily want to reveal how warm our relationship is with Saber.

Maybe if they're trying to give us a raw deal on the MAAP II, we may want to threaten to go with Saber instead… but in the meantime, I think it's best of us if we keep that quiet.

EDIT: @ A.T. - no kidding. It's totally unfair... but then, that's what they asked for in their letter! :lol:

The suggested wonder division is so unfair FREE will probably laugh at it too much to get angry at us.

edit: Maybe it's just me, but either JS Bach's cathedral was removed in c3c or you forgot to include that in the proposal. If it still exists, you should at it to free's side to make the unfairness a little bit less obvious...

Yeah, the division of wonders is very unfair.
I think we should split Newtons and Copernicus...to avoid straining the relations.

I actually think we should keep it unfair from now, and start making it reasonably fair when they reply about it. After all, they started it. But still it should include js bachs cathedral on frees side...

Ok – good catch on JS Bach… another wonder I don't usually build. I'll add that to FREE's side.

Now, it's not clear to me if everyone understands that I'm not just trying to go crazy with that wonder division. Yes, it's grossly unfair. BUT – it was FREE who named the four wonders they viewed as most valuable for the Middle Ages. We're giving them three of the four. Maybe they'll think it's a great deal. :crazyeye:
Spoiler FREE's letter :

Second, wonders. In the Middle Ages, there
are many good wonders. Four wonders in particular are strong in this
game, and we would like to reach an agreement giving one team
exclusive rights to each wonder. The five in contention are Sun Tzu,
Leonardo's Workshop, Magellan's Voyage, and Smith's.

Of course, it's possible they were spinning us, and thinking about trying to grab Copernicus and Netwtons both for themselves… in which case we're just calling their bluff.
The only other possibility is that they just somehow forgot to mention Newton and Copernicus, which is hard to believe, but possible. If they're playing that sloppy, then maybe our proposal will just slide through!
I also kind of wonder if they did mention another wonder and deleted it, as they say "four wonders" then "the five in contention" :crazyeye:

No matter what the case is, I still think it's worth a shot, and if they get upset, we'll be happy to change the division… as noted in my proposed letter.

Here's version 1.2
Spoiler :

Dear FREE allies,

We are eager to welcome you into the middle ages! We await the hopefully good news of what new knowledge you'll bring to the table. Once we have word from you, we'll begin work on a MAAP II agreement – unless you beat us to it with your own draft of a MAAP for the Middle Ages!

We're sorry to hear about Azzaman333, and we send along our wishes for a speedy resolution of whatever hinders him. Until then, we look forward to working with Empiremaker.

While we wait to get started on the MAAP II, there are 4 points we'd like to cover…

1) The Statue of Zeus
First of all, we just want to send along our personal assurances that the Statue of Zeus was built for purely defensive reasons, to help safeguard us from a potential Great Lighthouse powered attack by the Mounted Warriors of BABE. Rest assured, in the hands of The Council, these Ancient Cavalry are the agents of peace.

2) Trading Maps
We like the idea of trading maps with you, and are eager to do this. The most attractive proposal to us is the one Azzaman333 suggested before he had to leave – and that's trading our Territory map for your World map – as that will be a more equal revelation of exploring… but still sets a great benchmark for mutual trust as we reveal our lands to each other.

3) Splitting Wonders
You raise a very interesting idea about splitting the wonders. We see great value in this proposal, as it will save duplication of effort and save our alliance any potential trouble or hard feelings over wonder races. We think this agreement should cover every wonder in the Middle Ages, even ones that no-one is likely to build, just so that we're in agreement without chance of hard feelings if the situation changes.
You mentioned four wonders that you viewed as particularly valuable in the MA, and as a show of goodwill, we'd like to agree to put three of those four on your side.

Team FREE
  • Sun Tzu
  • Smith's Trading
  • Magellan's Voyage
  • JS Bach's Cathedral
  • Shakespeare's Theatre

The Council
  • Leo's Workshop
  • Copernicus Observatory
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Newton's University
  • Knight's Templar

4) Selling Tech to Saber
As we mentioned before, Saber has showed an interest in trying to buy some knowledge since we have refused to trade with them. We think this is a good opportunity for both us for two reasons… #1) It would be a great tragedy if Saber is conquered by BABE, and it would become very hard for either of us to win. #2) We have a chance to make some gold for both us to help power our research in the early Middle Ages.

The first deal with Saber we'd like to propose is that we sell them Construction (worth about 540 beakers in trade value… or less) for 216 gold (that's 40% or better). As a part of this deal, we'd demand that Saber doesn't trade Construction to anyone else.
If Saber agrees, that'd be 108 gold for both of us.
We hope you'll agree this is a good deal for both of us, and let us know if we can proceed.
(Please respond to this point in particular asap, as Saber likes to move quickly)

I'd like to urge The Council to send this letter (or a modified form of it) by the end of today, and to offer our Territory Map to FREE with the next save.

Looks great to me. :)

Good letter. Nice paragraph on the SoZ :D

Don't want to be greedy, but... Do we have to give them 50%?
Isn't there a margin for the trader? We risked our brave Chamsuri (r.i.p.), we got the contact, we researched that tech. :old:

I'd think 2:1 would be more appropriate: 72 for them, 144 for us. :smug:

I just wonder if I would also think so if they were trading with someone... :crazyeye:

Okay, 36 gold is not worth an argument that would delay that important letter by a single turn. So it's okay with me. :agree:

But at least I made my point clear :D

Never to late to throw a spanner in the wheel... :)

I would really not trade maps. Why do we want their map? IMO we don't need it, and I would hate for our map to fall in the wrong hands. Cities that cannot be seen on a map cannot be spied upon... as long as nobody has our map info, we can at least keep our noncoastal cities invisible until airplanes.

In their letter, FREE mentioned five wonders and then listed four... Ah, I see General_W noticed this too...
Did we consider which wonders we would need for our GA?
IMO, KT is rather useless, and of course we're not going to build 5 wonders each...

Also, I don't think we need to rush this. What's the hurry, these things can be decided later. The important issue is the tech division, and the potential trade with SABER. (And I agree with Paul that FREE is realyl getting sweet deals). Let them decide on that first.

Also the two scientific wonders i believe are in there side of the tree perhaps they will try to keep us in the dark for a little bit while they build.

I agree that it would be nice to keep more of the gold from the trade with Saber to ourselves – but that only leaves us 2 options… mislead (read: lie to) FREE about what we sold the tech for… or try to convince FREE that we deserve a 2:1 ratio of gold.

I think trying to convince FREE to agree to a 2:1 gold split is a very bad idea. Even if we were the ones to research Construction, it was done in the framework of trading beaker-for-beaker with FREE, making each tech belong to both of us… or put another way, they did ½ of the research on everything. I think that idea just spoils our relationship for a pretty small gain.

That said, I could be talked into leading FREE to believe that we're getting less gold from Saber than we are… by using a generous definition of the word "split" ("split: Verb, both parties get some of the whole, not necessarily in equal amounts" ) :D

I've adjusted that language below… see what you think :evil:

RE: Wonders, I agree that neither team is likely to build all 5 wonders on their side, but including them all makes it look better, imho, by making our grab for Cop and Newt a little bit less obvious.

RE: Trading Maps – I see what you're saying – but getting FREE's map will help us determine if there's an extra sea lane between us and BABE. Finding this out asap is of tremendous value in my opinion. More important than protecting against potential spying. I seriously doubt we'll be going to war with FREE before airplanes… or ever.
Also, I've added language to this letter making it clear that they can't trade our map without our approval. (by banning any future "world map" trades without our consent.)
That make you feel any better?

Re: Hurrying this – if we split this out into different letters, not only does it take longer, but FREE will give that much more scrutiny to each point. Given how FREE appears to be running their diplomacy (sloppy) I think there's real value in sending them a good burst of things, many of which they'll happily agree to, along with a few things that they might have a problem with if they had more time to think about it.

So far, you're the only holdout, but since you're the First Councilor, I really hope we can get your buy-in before anything is sent!

What do you say?

Version 1.4
Spoiler :

Dear FREE allies,

While we wait to get started on the MAAP II, there are 4 points we'd like to cover…

1) The Statue of Zeus

2) Trading Maps
Of course, along with this trade, we would want a mutual agreement that neither team will trade their world map to any other team without the other team's consent. (As that would reveal the other's homeland)

3) Splitting Wonders
You mentioned four wonders that you viewed as particularly valuable in the MA, and as a show of goodwill, we'd like to agree to put three of those four on your side.

Team FREE
  • Sun Tzu
  • Smith's Trading
  • Magellan's Voyage
  • JS Bach's Cathedral
  • Shakespeare's Theatre

The Council
  • Leo's Workshop
  • Copernicus Observatory
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Newton's University
  • Knight's Templar

4) Selling Tech to Saber

The first deal with Saber we'd like to propose is that we sell them Construction. As a part of this deal, we'd demand that Saber doesn't trade Construction to anyone else - or no deal.
If Saber agrees to our terms, we'd split the gold with you, putting 75 gold into your pocket!
(We know that Saber already knows other teams, though they have been coy about who – so we only have limited room to negotiate with them, or they'll likely go somewhere else to trade)

If Saber agrees, your split of the bounty would be 75 gold.

[/SPOILER]

THis seems to be slightly sloppy wording. It should be something along the lines of after we "split it" you will get 75 gold.

Top Bottom