Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

OOC: Seems our faith in rushing was not entirely misplaced. ;) Stats aside, just need some PMs answered and I'm good.

Nixon State

Earth Time: 4th July 2129, 11:33 AM (EPT)

Neil Haselton, governor of American Owned Carmenta, Portunes and Baccus, had the air of a man who knew what he was doing, but he wasn't sure about it.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, 353 years ago our forefathers signed a document saying they were no longer under British rule. They did it because they were tired of British oppresion and taxes. We went on to become the greatest country in the world, turning the tides of war.

There is a time when all babies must leave the crib. And I think after 62 years, we can say that we have spent enough time in this crib. I can now see what you are all thinking. This is not because of any aggresion. This is because I beleave it is now time we got out of the crib.

I have here in my hand a signed document, which carefully states our independance from Armerican Sol. We will still have ties, like a father has ties to his son, although he has left home. At least, I hope so.

The actions of China and Europe in this system held some sway over our desicion. I commend those who had peaseful protests for our independance. Now I can say that your wish has been fufilled.

Hopefully, with independance, we can prosper as a nation. I thank you all."

With that, he hoped off the podium to a resounding ovation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: American Sol
From: American Infinitas (Free States of American Infinitas)
We formally and openly announce our independance. We hope we can remain close, and we shall keep American in our new name to show our heritage.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll PM my orders when the stats are updated.

1. You must not attack American military or civilian personnel, either living in or visiting the colony.
2. You must allow open (not neccesarily free) trade between your colony and the American nation.
3. You must not conspire to, nor act, in any way that would require the United States to defend itself.
4. You must send income to the US Federal Government when requested (but please see below)

Here are some rights you are guaranteed:

1. You may tax your citizens as you decide to.
2. You may have your own military, independent of the US Federal Government's military.
3. You will never be required to send more than 1/3 of your income to the US Government.
4. You may conduct separate diplomacy, although all agreements must be disclosed to the US Federal Government.

This is the agreement we made when the United States Government handed over American Infinitas to your governor. What exactly do you wish to change in this declaration of independance? What autonomous power did I not give you right off the bat?

The people of America felt this agreement was a good one, offering your nation significant autonomy from ours, and only asking to assist us during a national military emergency (something we DID NOT ask of you during the war with the Islamic Confederacy), and to disclose your diplomatic doings.

We ARE willing to discuss changing the agreement, but if you are not, we will be forced to remove your governorship from power.

To American Sol
From American Infinitas

Ah, yes, I had forgot about that. After thinking about it, how about making it seem we have declared independance, but we haven't actually. Sort of the opposite of Taiwan during the late 20th century. We aren't really independent, but automanous enough for people to think we are. What civilians don't know can't hurt them. Anything to stop the protests.

OOC: Taiwan is NOT a separate country, it is still part of China. See the C in ROC in their name? They're still Chinese ;)

OOC: What I meant was that Taiwan isn't independant but is looking after itself pretty well without direct Chinese rule, no matter how badly China wants it back. They even have their own elections. So sort of like that, without all the animosoty.

OOC: Except you have declared independence, and RoC/Taiwan maintains de facto independence because it has the protection of the United States, which China isn't willing to compete with naval-wise. I doubt there are any nations that want to protect you from the United States.

Also unlike Taiwan, your government is appointed, not elected. It bothers me that these terran-appointed governors keep declaring independence, even though the whole point of being appointed is that they aren't responsible to the population but to their home nation.

It bothers me that these terran-appointed governors keep declaring independence, even though the whole point of being appointed is that they aren't responsible to the population but to their home nation.
OOC: You have to admit though that a couple of marginal planets, with minimal sustainable populations in the low single or double-digit millions tops, little developed infrastructure and no notable exports suddenly cutting off all development funding and thereby politically isolating themselves does provide a pretty neat case example for why future colonists should not royally economically screw themselves over only to be left in the dust by their loyal contemporaries, though.

It also provides a really good case for not using PCs as governors, if I do say so myself, because only they'd be that irrational and power mad.

OOC: You have to admit though that a couple of marginal planets, with minimal sustainable populations in the low single or double-digit millions tops, little developed infrastructure and no notable exports suddenly cutting off all development funding and thereby politically isolating themselves does provide a pretty neat case example for why future colonists should not royally economically screw themselves over only to be left in the dust by their loyal contemporaries, though.

It also provides a really good case for not using PCs as governors, if I do say so myself, because only they'd be that irrational and power mad.

OOC: You don't see me declaring independence from the PRC do you symphony? Am I not a PC? :p

Chand, I'll like to name my system "Tiantang" ;)

OOC: You don't see me declaring independence from the PRC do you symphony? Am I not a PC? :p
OOC: Just because you're a loyal lackey to the notions of the motherland doesn't say anything about your trustworthiness, alex. :p

To American Sol
From American Infinitas

Ah, yes, I had forgot about that. After thinking about it, how about making it seem we have declared independance, but we haven't actually. Sort of the opposite of Taiwan during the late 20th century. We aren't really independent, but automanous enough for people to think we are. What civilians don't know can't hurt them. Anything to stop the protests.

How about you don't declare independence and we forgot this ever happened.

Phew, stats are finally updated. I've also added the list of probable positions to the first post, so those of you that want to sign up can do so now.

I'll answer some PM'd inquiries and publicly posted stuff after taking a break.

They'll find out their errors soon enough. ;)

To: Nations of the World

We consider that the claim of a planet for a single ethnicity is an act of racism (despite the weak claims provided by the Russian Government that it is the only way to have a stable colony, which is untrue as demonstrated by earlier colonial efforts, where strife between populations is no greater than on earth) and a weak excuse to take one of the richest planets ever discovered for a single colonial power. We call upon the nations of the world to consider the implications of this claim- that by splitting up populations into specific groups, we are creating small, enclosed groups with little connection to each other- and sowing the seeds for massive future strife and disunity throughout entire region of human-controlled space.

TO: European Union
CC: Interglobal Transmission

The Russian Federation cordially calls upon the European Union to define how, precisely, the terms outlined by the Russian Federation may be construed as racist when they are not notated by:
  1. Gender
  2. Genetics
  3. Visible Appearance
  4. Religious Creed
  5. Political Affiliation
  6. or Sexual Orientation
The Russian Federation has thoroughly demonstrated that the sole criterion upon which ethnic-streaming is based is a cultural viewpoint. If that is to be defined as racist, rather than perhaps at the very worst nationalist, we humbly suggest the European Union immediately strike the word "European" from its title as it is already engaging in similarly discriminatory practices, and immediately open up its government structure for application by all nations of the Earth, with all applicants being given shares of power in the parliamentary council by population proportion as currently executed by existing members.

Baring this, we note that the precise reason Europe would decline such a request is because as an entity it is founded on the principle of a unifying cultural spirit. Unless it chooses to regard its own founding principles as similarly racist, we find that its statements lack both weight and conviction and can be concisely demonstrated as being both hypocritical, deliberately misinterpretive of the principle on which this argument was advanced, and furthermore deliberately obstructive and confrontational to the aims of the establishment of a unified colonial effort.

We also fail to see how this proclamation, paired with the foundation of an international organization designed to aide smaller nations in the colonization process--a move which thus far the European Union, People's Republic of China, and United States of America have utterly declined to take on themselves--may be considered exclusionary and imperialist.

To simply say it is unacceptable is no longer sufficient in this day and age. We have laid out arguments, and we have not been graced by a tangible rebuttal, either by the European Union or any other power. We call upon the European Parliament to therefore expand upon its position rather than simply issuing proclamations. Until such time as a precise and detailed reason has been delivered, we note with only casual amusement the acceptance, grudging or otherwise, of virtually all other major first world nations of our policy, with the sole major exception being the European Union itself.

OOC:

Session Start Thu Apr 10 22:36:09 2008
[23:02:12] Symphony D.: Anyway, while you're here, what's the international pulse on the speeches issued on streaming?
[23:13:18] Chandrasekhar: The general perception is that some American diplomats are making asses of themselves.
[23:13:46] Symphony D.: Well, I figured that much. ;) But I meant more in general toward the idea.
[23:14:56] Chandrasekhar: Since the definition of "ethnicity" has been cleared up and properly translated, there's not much disapproal, especially since your announcement means that plenty of nations foresee *their* ethnicities being among those that benefit.
I seriously have no concern with fighting you people unto the ends of time on this every time you want to question the morality of it, because your arguments really suck. Find some good ones (ones at all, really) or actually read what I say instead of making up propaganda you think represents what I'm saying. Otherwise, I will continue to score points off you spouting your ignorance and lack of literacy to the rest of humanity.

To: Russian Federation

Your original statement declared that your settlers must be of East Slavic descent. Plainly and simply, that is racism. Your intentions seem to remain at that. If you would like to formally disown this comment, we will similarly back down in our allegations.

Additionally, the European Union has significant numbers of colonists of non-European descent, due to the cosmopolitan nature of our cities. We have no troubles whatsoever with a system with which to help all races, nations, etcetera leave the confines of earth.

Also, Europe is a group of tightly-integrated nations, not a race.

TO: European Union
CC: Interglobal Release

EU said:
Your original statement declared that your settlers must be of East Slavic descent.Plainly and simply, that is racism.
It may be noted from the definition of the term "ethnicity" as given by President Kerensky on December 21, 2125 and the qualification "sharing those groups’s culture and language" by President Kerensky on May 16, 2125 that the obvious implication of "direct descendants" is the direct cultural descendants and current practitioners of the Russian heritage, which has by and large overwhelmingly originated from the East Slavic tradition.

This is once more demonstrative of European refusal to look beyond its ongoing preconceptions of the terms which the unfortunately limited human vocabulary has forced to be appropriated for these concepts, and to continue attacking stated Russian policy instead of exercising any genuine effort whatsoever to actually process its content.

As proof of this we submit the full content of the examination and selection procedure for the colonists on the Zenit and Soyuz missions and accede to its review by any and all international agencies the European Union may wish to invoke to affirm its authenticity.

While this is ongoing, efforts are to be made to find the best colonists possible through a submissions process. Psychological profiling is to be conducted on applicants to find the best of them, and all of them are to be given standard survival training and self-defense courses comparable to at least a militia or law enforcement level. The nature of the endeavor means that they will have to be self-sufficient until such time as Zenit is connected to the Skimmer network.
The most basic details of the colonist passenger manifest have likewise been made available to confirm this finding.

Once again, the Russian Federation reiterates the word "national" is insufficient to convey the scope of this operation as it allows members of the Ukraine state of the European Union and certain groups from the Baltics and Poland to participate as well, sharing as they do sufficient commonality with the mainline culture of the Russian Federation.

Given the complete lack of difference in this procedure from that of the American or Chinese missions, which called for persons of an American or Chinese ethnic background, however diverse that may ultimately be, we find the European Union's singling out of the Russian procedure in light of the innumerable and forthright clarifications the Russian Federation has made to these issues to be discriminatory in and of itself, and furthermore find it to show a lack of political or administrative will or desire to comprehend the information being offered to it.

EU said:
Additionally, the European Union has significant numbers of colonists of non-European descent, due to the cosmopolitan nature of our cities. We have no troubles whatsoever with a system with which to help all races, nations, etcetera leave the confines of earth.
Under the European flag, as European citizens, paying taxes to the European Union and fulfilling the general objectives of the European Union, yes, this is true. When it is the European Union which benefits from the efforts of these varied peoples, and not their homelands, the European Union has demonstrated itself to be quite willing to come to the aide of certain groups that it may aide itself and profit from their labors.

If the European Union is quite done with its ridiculous witch-hunt and has satisfied its apparent innate need to attempt reenforcement of its culture's perceived moral superiority at every turn, we continue to patiently await a response to our proposed diplomatic solution of Europe's ongoing policy of blatant economic warfare against out-system Russian holdings which began in a fashion wholly unrelated to this discussion, and which instead originated in an irrational vehemence in response to Russia refusing to share proprietary and sovereign information regarding national security to which the European Union had no right to inquire.

Since my authority has been implicitly invoked here, let me weigh in regarding the opinions of the world at large.

To quote Symphony's original message:
Symphony D. said:
I state unequivocally that the surfaces of both Zenit and Soyuz themselves within the Zenit and Soyuz system are restricted solely to colonization efforts by persons of . . . those groups’s culture and language.
It includes the stipulation that those people be of broadly Russian descent, but that could just mean that they were born in the country, which isn't terribly racist or unusual.

Indeed, the fact that Russia is willing to help secure planets for other nations is looked upon favorably by the international community as well. Accusations of racism don't make much sense here, and the press releases by the major powers haven't made much of a case for it. I can see how such confusion might arise, but it seems pretty unfounded from my perspective (and thus, the perspective of the world).

OOC: Thank you. Now, Iggy, if after 2.5 days I could get an answer to my offer so I can write orders early and not hand them in at the last minute as tends to be the case around here, I'd be much obliged.

Also, since I see him skulking around:

I might join earlier if stats are updated soon. ;)
We've got it in writing now. :p

lurker's comment: Are they fully updated? Because I still can't see the Russian colonies. Possibly some others, too. Or do they only get to have stats at some later point?

EDIT: That said, expressing tentative interest in Damen.

Top Bottom