Kael's journey with Fallen Enchantress

hello guys, i havent been posting here in a long time but i m now sucked back into playing MoM-likes thanks to Warlock: Master of the Arcane which is a great little game (although not as good as Fall from Heaven ) and obviously i m now very, very curious about Fallen Enchantress. I never tried War of Magic after reading from everybody that it was a disaster and while i was very hopefull about Fallen Enchantress with Kael on board i kinda managed to miss its release date ;)

so considering the guys here know& love the very best MoM-like ever made, FFH ....
i thought it d make more sense to ask about Fallen Enchantress here rather than sign up in the official forums.

my most important question that i couldnt find easily answered elsewhere would be:

Is FE all about powerfull heroes/creatures or do you also get BATTLES rather than skirmishes ? i.e. is it a game where your mid/end game "army" will consists of 2-3 heroes or will there actually be regular troops as well ? most battle map screenshots of Fallen Enchantress look like regular troops play a secondary role.

one thing i really liked in Fall from Heaven OVER Master of Magic or now Warlock is that Fall from Heaven conflicts felt "bigger" because while you did have powerfull heroes/creatures leading your stacks of doom .... those actually felt like real armies (at least i played the game like that). in MoM/Warlock it is all too tempting to just focus on 3-4 elite units/lords/heroes that single handedly destroy everything the enemy throws at them.

while it s certainly fun "min/maxing" your most powefull heroes/troops to see just how insanely powerfull they can become .... i always feel it takes a lot of atmosphere away if your invasion force for the enemy capital isnt 1000s of troops + your best heroes and warmachines/creatures .... but 2 heroes and a tamed creature :confused:

so how does Fallen Enchantress measure up in this regard ? and if its yet another "heroes > everything" game ... any recommendations for a fantasy title that is more about actual armies or is FFH still the only way to go ?

FE can actually be played either way, focusing on trained units or heroes or both.

the tech tree is divided into civilization ( unlocks buildings and abilities boosting your economy ) , warfare ( unlocks stronger military units and buildings ) and magic ( unlocks spells, high level heroes and magic-oriented buildings )

if you focus on the warfare tree and upgrade your cities to fortresses you'll be able to field plenty of strong troops to conquer your opponents.

also you can create your own faction and leader and specialize in warfare if you want.

stacks won't become as ridicolously large as civ4, however each trained unit is composed by multiple "figures" ( an unit of spearmen is 3 people, which can increase up to 6 with techs ) so the scope is reasonable imho although not as big.

I'd also recommend you take a look at Master of Mana for the natural successor to FFH ;)

sounds good - i ll give it a try, thanks for the reply [to_xp]Gekko ! I ve always wanted to try Masters of Mana too but never got around to it yet.

so now we have 3 good MoM-likes with FFH(and modmods) , Warlock and Fallen Enchantress ? am i dreaming ? please dont wake me up :p

Hot dayum. That game looks awesome.

I've never even thought of having max army size dependent on commander type.

there's also a Masters of the Broken World looking very good, beta is starting today
I have very high hopes in this one. The art style looks great and the gameplay sounds very promising. I hope it will have multiplayer.
It also has a predecessor called Eador - Genesis which was recently released on GOG and combines elements from MoM and HoMM. Bought it a few days ago, but didn't have time to play it yet.

Also bought Fallen Enchantress almost two months ago, but didn't have the motivation to play it so far. I think I will give it a try when the first expansion is out since it still seems to lack some polishing and fleshing out. (I'm very patient those days...)

[to_xp]Gekko;12070124 said:
fallen enchantress 1.1 patch out today so might be a good time to give it a try ;)

Don't divert the discussion from Masters of the Broken World! Get your own thread for whatever you want to talk about. :p

I actually wanted to create a thread about the game in the appropriate section.

however, I'm not sure if beta access is free-for-all or limited access.

so it's been my dirty little secret.

:D

Has anyone been playing Fallen Enchantress recently? I took a quick glance at their site and see that they had a new patch (1.2). Is it much better now than it was?

I still didnt get around to trying Fallen Enchantress but its first expansion just been announced so i guess when that comes out is a good time to give it a chance though i cant say i like the focus on champions : i guess similar to Warlock once again the best type of "army" will be ~4 fully leveld and equipped heroes who will be an army on their own ... i d much prefer champions LEADING armies not BEING armies, i.e. 1 champion is backed up by at least 20 if not much more "normal" troops. oh well, hopefully SEGA does a Warhammer Total War and that one should finally give me fantasy strategy title with real armies.....until that i ll give Kael the benefit of the doubt and at least try fallen enchantress though. Master of Magic didnt have really big armies either and was still the best game ever :p

Meanwhile thanks for recommending masters of mana - that one is awesome. i quite liked and enjoyed Warlock but Master of Mana is for my tastes a much much better game in almost every aspect. it might be a bit TOO deep/complex though but i m fighting through it !

Legendary heroes is looking pretty sweet, for 20 bucks it's probably worth it. seems like they properly addressed some shortcomings of the original.

Yea, legendary heroes looks good. I haven't personally tried it yet however.

But looks like a major improvement imho.

thanks for the screenshots! I knew aow3 was coming but didn't expect it this soon and goodlooking!

2013 looking great for this genre!

Yes, Age of Wonders 2: Shadowmagic was great with Brave New World mod it was masterpiece, i hope AoW3 will be great game, waiting for Eador too :) and i am the lucky one who bought Elemental:WOM as soon as it came out so i will get Legendary Heroes for freeee.
Fallen enchantress is great game, having lot of fun with it... with Snaking mod (http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/mods/15/) i am no longer bothered by sometimes very hard to play generated maps, but they should make AI more cautious. I fight lone heroes and Sovereigns too often with their armies camping cities :-/
This one is great for those who like to create own factions (http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/mods/23)
Gekko : i am not playing MoM since 1.41 is there still bug with AI declaring war on you turn after negotiated peace?
Was testing Magister Modmod and it was fun! but it ctd`s or freezes on waiting for oponents too much for my taste
Tasunke : EitB is close to core FFH? by looking at pdf with changes it`s not too much altered and i played FFH LOT. When your mod will be finished? work harder! i am not exactly young or patient :D :old:

Age of Wonders 3 is great news, thanks :) Let's hope it's not going to be as disappointing as CivV was after CivIV...

Top Bottom