Planet Simulator

Anyone know how to increase/decrease the mountain ranges in the updated scripts ? The old setting for it seems to not be used now (mconst.mountainFreq = 0.4 )

If you're looking the setting for what proportion of the tiles on the map are mountains, that's now in InitializeWorldAge(), as self.mountainsPercent.

If you're looking for a setting that controls whether mountains tend to appear in ranges or by themselves, that unfortunately has never existed in Planet Simulator (the constant you refer to appears to have been used in PerfectWorld, but was deprecated when plate tectonics simulations were merged in to create Planet Simulator) and the way it created mountain ranges is fundamentally incompatible with the way Planet Simulator creates mountains.

That said, I am interested in adding some parameters to mountain range generation -- in particular, I want to encourage internal ranges and discourage coastal ranges (or at least push the coastal ranges a bit inland). I might be able to add settings for the likelihood of mountains to form ranges as well. Unfortunately my first attempt at this was a complete disaster. I'm now trying a different approach, and if it's successful I'll be sure to post it here.

That said, I am interested in adding some parameters to mountain range generation -- in particular, I want to encourage internal ranges and discourage coastal ranges (or at least push the coastal ranges a bit inland). I might be able to add settings for the likelihood of mountains to form ranges as well. Unfortunately my first attempt at this was a complete disaster. I'm now trying a different approach, and if it's successful I'll be sure to post it here.

My thoughts exactly.. the coasts seem too cluttered while the interiors have hardly any mountains.

It'd be great if you managed it :D

So is this map compatible with More Luxuries or not? I saw this question was asked several times and no answer (or I'm blind :D)

So is this map compatible with More Luxuries or not? I saw this question was asked several times and no answer (or I'm blind :D)

I play with this mapscript with the Community Patch Project (which has More Luxuries included in it) and it works fine.

I was able to get inland mountain ranges working! The script now routinely generates some rather epic mountain ranges at continental-continental convergent faults. Additionally, coastal ranges are now quite rare (except on young planets, where they are merely less common than they used to be). The updated mapscript is attached to this post.

I'm labeling this version of the script (LL2beta) a beta because there are a lot of tweaks I still want to make to the code (especially for the values of the new parameters I created) and there is a known bug (small maps sometimes generate absurd amounts of tundra and no desert or mountains). But the bug doesn't really happen on typical map sizes, and I want to release the mapscript so people can use it over the weekend.

If you use this mapscript, I am interested in what you think of it, particularly regarding mountains and islands (I also added an option to adjust island generation in this version). If you do have comments and they are about a specific map the script generated for you, I will be able to use them more effectively if you include the settings you used to generate the map. If you can also include the random seed or a saved map file, that's even better.

Attachments

• Planet Simulator vLL2beta.7z
    39 KB · Views: 256
I actually did quite a bit of code (that I may or may not have released) regarding terrain type targeting BUT it was for the BE version of this script. I'd be happy to share my most recent (unreleased/unpolished) versions of that script with you if you have the time and inclination to update the Civ V version Lamil.

I will warn you that this will not be a copy and paste job and you'll probably have to do some digging to figure out how I changed the functionality so that it hit's the targeted percentages almost perfectly. Send me a PM or reply here if you're interested.

I also know I coded a real fix for trees on desert in the Civ V version and I grossly rewrote mountain formation in the BE version at some point specifically due to mountains on coast lines. I really should give this script another pass but I don't have a lot of free time to code.

I actually did quite a bit of code (that I may or may not have released) regarding terrain type targeting BUT it was for the BE version of this script. I'd be happy to share my most recent (unreleased/unpolished) versions of that script with you if you have the time and inclination to update the Civ V version Lamil.

I will warn you that this will not be a copy and paste job and you'll probably have to do some digging to figure out how I changed the functionality so that it hit's the targeted percentages almost perfectly. Send me a PM or reply here if you're interested.

I also know I coded a real fix for trees on desert in the Civ V version and I grossly rewrote mountain formation in the BE version at some point specifically due to mountains on coast lines. I really should give this script another pass but I don't have a lot of free time to code.

Oh excellent! I would love to take a look at the BE script and see if I can get its changes merged in. No promises, but I'd like to try. I'll send you a PM with my email in case that's a better way to send it.

Also, I'm going to post the version I have (which fixed the tundra issue) soon in case these merges don't work out.

I've gotten the in-progress map scripts from Bobert, and have started the progress of merging in his Beyond Earth improvements. This may take a while. In the meantime, I'm releasing my build that doesn't have his improvements, but which does have inland mountain generation and does not generate extreme tundra even in bad conditions. It's the version I'm using as the basis for the merge, so please let me know if you notice any bugs or other issues with it.

Attachments

• Planet Simulator vLL2.7z
    42.1 KB · Views: 314
Thanks for the bug report! Looks like the river is ending a tile early. I'm looking at the river code this coming version, so hopefully I can fix this.

So um, I'm a little confused. Is this a map script, or various map scripts with the same underlying coding (since there's mention of Pangaea, archipelago, etc.)? I'm just wondering, because it's not showing up in worldbuilder, which is what I wanted to test it in before I played.

Regardless, this is the exact mod I wanted for a realistic map. Thanks!

So um, I'm a little confused. Is this a map script, or various map scripts with the same underlying coding (since there's mention of Pangaea, archipelago, etc.)? I'm just wondering, because it's not showing up in worldbuilder, which is what I wanted to test it in before I played.

Regardless, this is the exact mod I wanted for a realistic map. Thanks!

Also, what is the map(s) under in the game options? Is it just the regular map names under "additional maps", or is it called something different? I can't seem to find it in the mods list or the map options.

Also, what is the map(s) under in the game options? Is it just the regular map names under "additional maps", or is it called something different? I can't seem to find it in the mods list or the map options.

It's a single mapscript that has several options you can set when you go to the advanced options screen when setting up a game. It's listed as "Planet Simulator" under the Additional Maps section on the main game setup screen. Worldbuilder crashes on me when I try to generate a map with it but it works fine in the game.

Creepers99, the problems you're describing sound like they might be caused by putting the map script in the wrong location or by not unzipping the map script. The installation process is:

1. Extract the *.7z file (using 7zip or another unzipping program)
  2. Put the resulting *.lua file in the user map scripts directory (for me on Windows 10 this is C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps but it can vary by operating system)

If you did this and you still can't find it under additional maps in the game and/or worldbuilder, let me know and I'm happy to help you troubleshoot further.

MrStarbuck, sorry to hear that worldbuilder crashes on you when using this script -- I use worldbuilder frequently with it. Does it crash to the desktop / hang, or does is it just halt and give you a gibberish map? If it's the latter, could you turn on the "Keep Debug Window Open" option and post / send me whatever shows up there? Hopefully this isn't causing anyone problems in the game proper, but if there's debug information available, I'd like to try debugging it anyway.

Regarding the river estuary placement bug: it's quite elusive and I haven't fixed it yet. It's survived a ground-up rewrite of half the river code. My current hypothesis is that it relates to river-inland sea interactions (if anyone has seen this on a true ocean, let me know). This gives me somewhere to look, but unfortunately I've never looked at the inland sea code, so even if this is where the bug is it will probably still take me a while to fix.

Code-merging depends on what happens with the river bug, so that's also going to take a while.

Creepers99, the problems you're describing sound like they might be caused by putting the map script in the wrong location or by not unzipping the map script. The installation process is:

2. Put the resulting *.lua file in the user map scripts directory (for me on Windows 10 this is C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps but it can vary by operating system)

If you did this and you still can't find it under additional maps in the game and/or worldbuilder, let me know and I'm happy to help you troubleshoot further.

MrStarbuck, sorry to hear that worldbuilder crashes on you when using this script -- I use worldbuilder frequently with it. Does it crash to the desktop / hang, or does is it just halt and give you a gibberish map? If it's the latter, could you turn on the "Keep Debug Window Open" option and post / send me whatever shows up there? Hopefully this isn't causing anyone problems in the game proper, but if there's debug information available, I'd like to try debugging it anyway.

Regarding the river estuary placement bug: it's quite elusive and I haven't fixed it yet. It's survived a ground-up rewrite of half the river code. My current hypothesis is that it relates to river-inland sea interactions (if anyone has seen this on a true ocean, let me know). This gives me somewhere to look, but unfortunately I've never looked at the inland sea code, so even if this is where the bug is it will probably still take me a while to fix.

Code-merging depends on what happens with the river bug, so that's also going to take a while.

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to improve this script. It really is great and has lots of potential.

Here ya go:

Spoiler :

Application: World Builder
User: Unkown (Not an in-house user.)
Time: Friday 4/8/2016 9:37:03 PM

Runtime: 32 bit
Machine: SMILODON

Exception: System.NullReferenceException
Source: WorldBuilder
Thread: Main Thread
Description: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:
at WorldBuilder.NexusMapGenerator.SetMapOption(String sOptionID, Int32 iValue)
at WorldBuilder.GenerateMapScreen.m_btnTestMapScript_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I couple of suggestions from the Communitas script I'd like to see implemented are:
  1. ensure NWs are not within the boundaries of CSes.
  2. better placement and number of resources across the map

When you choose Map Preset in the Advanced Setup with this script there are three options: Continents, Pangaea, and Other (n/a). What kind of world does the third option give you?

Top Bottom