Diplomacy across ocean before the Renaissance

vmsbass

Chieftain
Map has two continents plus a few islands. I am on one continent with two other civs (France and Persia), and the remaining seven civs are across the sea. No civ has reached the Renaissance yet.

Since I do a lot of naval warfare (playing Byzantium), I have a Great Admiral, who can travel across the sea. Thus, of the three civs on my continent, I am the only one who has made contact with the seven other civs across the sea (seemingly).

Yet, when I declared war on Persia, a handful of the civs from the other continent got angry with me for declaring war on their friend.

How can these other civs be friends with Persia when they had no chance to meet? The shores of each continent are not visible from each other, not even the coastal waters. How is this possible?

You can always determine who they know and don't know by seeing if they'd like to declare war on someone, and then seeing who makes the list. (Though if a treaty is in place, that civ might be absent from the list.)

Sometimes I've quite surprised to see they haven't met a civ that's right next to me.

Possible, but unlikely.

They only recently entered the Middle Ages, so they couldn't have gotten too far into the Commerce Social Policy (the one that gives a free Great Admiral).

And they were never at war with France to build up Great Admiral points. I destroyed their navy, but that was after the other civs reacted to me declaring war.

any chance there's a shallow water path somewhere that a Persian boat could have followed?

:cringe:

My mistake.

They got their panties in a bunch because I declared war on someone with whom I signed a declaration of friendship. Closely worded reasons.

Sorry everyone :cringe:

Sorry for hijacking the post, but are you guys saying that I can get into the ocean without astronomy with a great admiral? Why no one told me that before??? I just lost the WC leadership because someone else met France 1 turn before I did!!!!

You can also get a GA by the Liberty finisher, so it's possible by 500 AD.

Just have to be really careful about barbarian ships.

True, but you can avoid (at least at the beginning) barbarians by staying on ocean tiles. Yes, they are defenseless! and cannot be automated.

This. Great Admirals from Liberty is IMO one of the cooler tricks in BNW/G&K. Just have to be really careful about barbarian ships.

using the maya, you can pick them as first b'ak tun GP. The positive of it is that GA didn't raise other gp requirement, saving your other GP bonus for when the cost is high.

using the maya, you can pick them as first b'ak tun GP. The positive of it is that GA didn't raise other gp requirement, saving your other GP bonus for when the cost is high.

GAdm is my first pick on water maps with Maya, a no brainer.

Top Bottom