Useless beliefs

Ancestor Worship could be improved if it allows both shrine and temple to give +1 culture each. May be too good synergy with Feed the World.

Or allows shrine and the resource incense to give +1 culture.

I like church property better than tithe because you get the gold earlier.

Church property gives you +2 gold right away, and usually +8 gold after you get your own cities converted.

Tithe will eventually earn more, but I prefer more gold early to more gold later.

By the time tithe really comes into its own I usually have built economic buildings and have lots of trade routes.

But when I first get it, the extra couple of gold early from cp really helps.

Church property can also grow faster if there is an ics'er nearby, which there usually is.

I'm sort of playing Devil's advocate here, but something like Liturgical Drama makes sense to me, in principle. It's not really a follower belief optimized to be good for you exactly. It's more like a "delta" belief, I guess? It's a belief for when you don't want to give those bastard enemy civs any advantage. A follower belief that gives faith is relatively "safe," but is still useful for you if you're going wide and want to snuff out all competing religions. That's not a bad thing to do, if your focus is on denying an AI any good bonuses, while you maximize the bonus you're getting for your Founder belief. Take Unity of the Prophets or something to push your religion hard. Something like Peace Gardens or Monasteries are also good if you can optimize yourself to take advantage of them, but they're obviously more niche. In any case, this typically has the added benefit of likely being easy to pull off even if you're picking last.

Anyway, I think it could still use a boost. Maybe +1 Faith for each Great Work of Writing slot you have? Give +X Faith for the National Epic?

^yeah doing that would be cool for the lulz, if you even found a religion or barely get one of the last 2. basically if i can't get any :c5food: , :c5production: , or fast/far religion spread, then that means i don't care about religion in this particular game, and/or i already know that i will not have the :c5faith: generation to stave off the AI spread. i'm going for skullbashing or CS-buying or both. maybe splash in some :c5culture: hat-tricks, but if i'm not getting some primo beliefs it's time to let an AI religion wash over me while i busy myself sharpening some blades or making my people hit the science books.

Ancestor Worship is for Pacal along with feed the world and Piety for super UB.

I actually like Papal Primacy. Compare a game with Pledge/Consulate vs. Papal/Consulate. Pledge/Consulate is faster and works everywhere, but the next thing you know? "Oh, we bullied your city-state, please forgive me and revoke your protection," and now your influence plummets. It's less of an issue since wars are harder earlier on.

I've always found Papal/Consulates diplomatically favorable.

It has interesting synergy with Unity of the Prophets and Underground Sect.

The same amount as pressure as if you're city is nearby, so not too much.

I use to not mind, but I kinda get tired of clicking "You'll pay for this in time" over and over again. There's been times in which I'm trying to go for a religious/city-state strat and sometimes...it's nice not getting ostracized by everyone.

Have you ever seen Russia with Angkor Wat, Krepost and Religious Settlements?

Oh my lord I just thought of a Religious Set up for city-spammer Russia:

Pantheon:
Religious Settlements/God of Craftsmen: choose between border expansion or faster early-game production. That one extra hammer early on adds up quite a bit, which is why settling on a hill is very desirable.

Founder: Tithe/Pilgrimage: Go faith or go money. Either way is good. You'll end up with more faith to buy stuff or money to buy stuff.

Follower: Pagodas: This will allow your cities to be more useful and a bit larger.

Follower: Guruship/Feed The World: Guruship is a safe bet, since you will want to run a minimum of two Scientists on every city. Feed the World if the area is food-starved.

Enhancer: Anything you want. Probably Religious Texts so you can reserve your faith for Pagodas instead of Missionaries.

Reformation (if you get there): Jesuit Schools. You'll be amassing a ridiculous amount of faith.

Each city should have at least:

Krepost
Library
Monument
Granary
University
Shrine/Temple - if you go feed the world
Market

I can see this working due to the changes in Piety (discounts on faith buying and cheaper Shrine/Temple) and the introduction of Aesthetics (cheaper culture buildings) I really have to try this one out!

Top Bottom