Never-Before-Seen Civilizations

Which of the following Civs belongs in the game? (Please Select All That Apply)

• Total voters
I went with a more generic term "Brave" because that was the terminology given to native warriors descending from Mississipian culture in south east united states by the early european settlers, but falcon warrior is possibly a more accurate naming.

Well, they themselves wouldn't have called them Falcon Warriors, but Falcons were part of their war cult. I think the goal was to remove the genericness. It would also suggest a different replacement than a Crossbow, but it wouldn't make sense to give them such an advanced unit when the Mohawk Warrior is ancient.

Sorry for the double post. Here's some ideas for Mississippian cities. I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness for Fernando de Soto.

This first list is a combination of tribes and their cities/mound sites. Some of them have English names, so they're less than ideal. That being said, de Soto's expedition hit petty chiefdoms after the collapse of the main Mississippian culture so I don't want to give it more than its due.

Spoiler cities divided by culture :

Cahokia
Caddoan * (Spiro, Battle Mound, Belcher Mound, Bluffton Mound, Gahagan Mound)
Monongahela *
Etowah
Serpent Mound
Plaquemine * (Grand Village, Emerald Mound, Medora, Holly Bluff, Winterville)
Ocumulgee
Moundville
Aztalan
Coosa * (Coosa, Tasqui, Satapo, Tali, Chalahume, Coste, Chiaha, Talimachusi, Itaba, Ulibahalti, Apica, Tuasi)
Tuscaluza * (Caliste, Caxa, Humati, Atahachi, Piachi, Mabila, Taliepacana, Zabusta, Apafalaya, Sacchuma)
Joara * (Joara, Guaquili)
Cofitachequi * (Cofitachequi, Talimeco, Hymahi, Ilasi)
Ocute* (Ocute, Cofaqui, Altamaha, Ichisi)

Here is a combined list. I tried to pick only the English names that stood out as something that could be accepted in game without seeming too stupid.

Spoiler City List :

Cahokia
Monongahela
Etowah
Serpant Mound
Grand Village
Emerald Mound
Spiro
Battle Mound
Gahagan Mound
Ocumulgee
Aztalan
Coosa
Tasqui
Satapo
Tali
Chalahume
Coste
Chiana
Talimachusi
Itaba
Ulibahalti
Apica
Tuasi
Caliste
Caxa
Humati
Atahachi
Piachi
Maliba
Taliepacana
Zabusta
Apafalaya
Sacchuma
Joara
Guaquili
Cofitachequi
Talimeco
Hymahi
Ilasi
Ocute
Cofaqui
Altamaha
Ichisi

Either way, Cahokia seems to be the best choice for a capitol.

More on the UU. I've seen the Falcon Warrior alternatively described as Birdman. I've also seen Falcon Dancer. Either way, the Falcon was unequivocally associated with warfare, so I think it's a strong candidate for a unique unit.

phoenicians because Carthage NEEDS to be in the game so Rome has a rival and the phoenicians are probably the best candidate because if Hannibal had destroyed Rome the Carthaginians would already be in the game instead of Rome

Well, for a good North African civ, why not Carthage? I'm pretty sure they have existed in past Civ games (thus why they aren't mentioned in your poll) and would have less overlap with other Civs...unless you count their historical destruction by Rome. I do agree Civilization needs more African Civs, and a good Latin/South American civ.

carthaginian and phoenician are really the same thing and i agree that they should be in the game

I don't think Phoenicians and Carthage are the same thing. The almost perfect analogy would be England and America. Carthage originated from Phoenicia (Tyre, maybe?), but they're culturally and politically distinct. Carthage was also more empire oriented. The Phoenicians themselves were never untied, but Carthage maintained a centralized control over Phoenician colonies in the western Mediterranean and, after the fall of Tyre to the Assyrians, had an influence over all Phoenician colonies.

For what it's worth, Phoenicia does have two City-States in the game. Both Tyre (who should be maritime, not militaristic) and Sidon are in the game. Unless you want to count the Scandinavian city-states as one civ, it is the only civilization to have more than one city represented.

I don't think Phoenicians and Carthage are the same thing. The almost perfect analogy would be England and America. Carthage originated from Phoenicia (Tyre, maybe?), but they're culturally and politically distinct. Carthage was also more empire oriented. The Phoenicians themselves were never untied, but Carthage maintained a centralized control over Phoenician colonies in the western Mediterranean and, after the fall of Tyre to the Assyrians, had an influence over all Phoenician colonies.

For what it's worth, Phoenicia does have two City-States in the game. Both Tyre (who should be maritime, not militaristic) and Sidon are in the game. Unless you want to count the Scandinavian city-states as one civ, it is the only civilization to have more than one city represented.

Although you pointed out that Austria is a better choice, Austria-Hungary would control both Vienna and Budapest.

Brazil! :king:

Maybe well be part of civilization X, we are becoming a major player right now.

We are already the 7 biggest economy, and we have 20% of the fresh water of the world, 7% of the oil and plenty of space to grow food.

We also have lots of corruption, violence and poverty. But our hope for a better future never was so high.

See you in CiX, on 2025.

^ I could see them for Civ7 provided they continue to develop at their current pace.

Although you pointed out that Austria is a better choice, Austria-Hungary would control both Vienna and Budapest.

Austria would control both Vienna and Budapest, since they did historically :p

Falcon Dancer would be good, but the reason I said Crossbowman replacement is because about the time Crossbows were changing warfare in Europe the Mississippi were at the height of their Empire. So it would then appear in the right era, and it would not actually wield a crossbow, but a Bow and and a Tomahawk. You could either spend it in Melee attacking or use it's ranged attack. It would be a great versatile unit

To Compile it then:

Mississippi
Leader: Tuskalossa
UA: Mound Builders -- Building-generated Happiness not limited by population, building maintenance costs halved.
UU: Falcon Dancer -- Replaces Crossbow, can melee or ranged attack
UB: Platform Mound -- Replaces Walls, Cities have +1 bombard Range, generates additional 2 culture per turn in city.

City List (Starting with Capital):
Cahokia
Monongahela
Etowah
Serpant Mound
Grand Village
Emerald Mound
Spiro
Battle Mound
Gahagan Mound
Ocumulgee
Aztalan
Coosa
Tasqui
Satapo
Tali
Chalahume
Coste
Chiana
Talimachusi
Itaba
Ulibahalti
Apica
Tuasi
Caliste
Caxa
Humati
Atahachi
Piachi
Maliba
Taliepacana
Zabusta
Apafalaya
Sacchuma
Joara
Guaquili
Cofitachequi
Talimeco
Hymahi
Ilasi
Ocute
Cofaqui
Altamaha
Ichisi

Still, it doesn't make sense to have it come after the Mohawk Warrior, does it? The height of the Iroquois was even later.

i say they just put in the phoenicians. it would be a good addition to the game and they would be to carthage as greece is to rome so either carthage and phoenicia should be put as one or they could be seperate civs and put in an expansion or together in a dlc.

I think any potential civ that already has a CS in the game is not a candidate for being put in the game (to the developers at least).

Interesting that Jerusalem isn't a CS...

I voted other, mainly because I think it is high time that civ does a Brazilian civ. Brazil is an ex-colonial state, just like America, and is developing to be the main South American nation. I think that it's high time South America gets a civ that reached the modern era.
A lot of people in here isn't aware that Brazil will someday be ranked 4th in nominal GDP per capita. But the projection is only till 2050 by Goldman Sacs.

But adding in Brazil means one have to also add Canada and possibly Australia too.

A lot of people in here isn't aware that Brazil will someday be ranked 4th in nominal GDP per capita. But the projection is only till 2050 by Goldman Sacs.

But adding in Brazil means one have to also add Canada and possibly Australia too.

i think the iroquois represent canada what with city names like montreal and whether they do or not there are already two civs that speak english and there are only one or less for the other languages so they might avoid making australia/canada

The problem with Brazil is that we dont buy that much of games, because they`re expensive and we use a lot of piracy software. So, a Korea civ, for exemple, makes a lot more sense for the producers.

Also, I dont know if we have the appeal for foreigners players. I can see plp playing Rome, Greece easily, Im not so sure if someone (not brazilian) would want to play as Brazil.

That's Firaxis bad decision, not ours. Mohawk should been a musket replacement, the Iroquois were quite adept at using European weapons.

I know, but it's still worth working within the system. Your idea for a crossbow replacement would work fine as an archer replacement.

Well, that's why I think we're leaning towards Falcon Warrior now anyway.

The problem with Brazil is that we dont buy that much of games, because they`re expensive and we use a lot of piracy software. So, a Korea civ, for exemple, makes a lot more sense for the producers.

Also, I dont know if we have the appeal for foreigners players. I can see plp playing Rome, Greece easily, Im not so sure if someone (not brazilian) would want to play as Brazil.

Well I am sure there are more Brazilian nationals playing Civ than Mongolian nationals. lol

Top Bottom