Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

hanterp said:
I live in Holland and the game comes with a Dutch manual overhere.
It also describes the name of the units, buildings etc. in Dutch.
If I start the game and choose languages in the option screen I cannot find Dutch :( What is the use of writing a Dutch manual if you have to translate units etc. back in English?? Maybe somewhere there is a download for Civilization in Dutch?? If so, please tell me, thanks :)

dat is volkomen normaal idem in belgië maar dat went wel en daar is inderdaad geen nut in om die dingen te vertalen. ik heb nog geen civ IV in het Nederlands gevonden als jij ereen vind mail die dan is aub

i am the lizard king
i can do anything

Way back about page 5 of this thread there were questions regarding the in game hall of fame. Here are the answers (now we can search the forums again maybe this will help someone out): The 'Replays' folder is the equivalent of the Civ 3 Hall of Fame file---i.e. clear it and you have cleared the in game HOF, back it up and you have backed up the HOF.

Custom games are included in the HOF, does anyone know if modded games are in the HOF, and, if so, are they identified somehow?

thamis said:
No road should be enough to get the horses into that city but not to the other cities. A city will have a resource if it's worked and within the "city radius cross" (equivalent to the cultural borders after the 1st expansion).

There's no need to build a road if there's a river going from that resource to the city.

Well the river part is correct, but the pasture itself only gives a special food, shield, commerce bonus to the resource, for ANY city to use that resource you need the pasture And a River/Road connection

In previews last year, they said that you had to play certain leaders a certain way or your leader will get mad at you. For example, you had to play Ghandi in a peaceful manner. Was this taken out because it was too restrictive?

Old Coot said:
Here's what I've done:

1 - quit the game

2 - Opened the c4 .ini file and changed fullscreen option to 0

3 - Loaded the game - no windowed mode

4 - Opened the .ini file again fullscreen option is back to 1

dunno

I changed the option to 'ask', and the game *did* ask when I started. So, I said no. And the game is now running in a window. But it might as well not be running in a window because it works absolutely horribly. If I switch away from the Civ4 window, and then come back, all I can do is hear the music and see the outline of the Civ 4 window on the screen. I even tried minimizing all my windows and then switching to the Civ 4 window.

Okay. I uninstalled a Windows XP Power Toy called Alt-Tab Replacement. Now, Civ 4 runs just fine in a window. As I type this, Civ 4 is running on my second display as I type this on my primary display.

Be aware, though, that performance is definitely slower. At the moment, I'm running it in a 1280x1024 window, and it is noticeably slower. Still, it's pretty impressive.

I have a question. How can I change options in scenarios? For example I like turning on "raging barbarians" and "aggressive ai", so I want to change this options in earth scenario. Can options be changed only in custum game?

I don't understand how the second level religious building are enabled (Jewish Synagouge, Moslem Mosque, etc). There is a requirement of "3 X Temples." Does this mean that I can only start to build them once I've built three temples? Or that I can only build one for every three temples? (I assume the game keeps track and that I can only build in a city that already has a temple.) Or that I can only build in a city that already has three temples? (And if so, how the heck do I do that?)

Hi, I have been quite happily nibbling away at a next door empire. I have been able to bombard with frigates, take cities with ground troops ect, but now all of a sudden not one of my units can cross into his teritory and any that I had in before was moved out of his teritory by the game.

So from all out war to a no go and if I look in the relationship window my conection is no longer showing red (at war) it is now grey.

Any ideas would be great as there was a simular post earler but that was to start a war.

TIA

How does one go about switching his civ's religion? Does he have to wait for someone to ask him to convert? Is that the only way? I can't find this anywhere.

Also, in a hotseat game, when we tried to load all that came up was a screen that asked if bismarck wanted to wait for the other players, save and continue, or save and quit. It's a hotseat game, I thought all the players are already there! How can they rejoin as well on the same computer?

Thanks!

Benderino said:
How does one go about switching his civ's religion? Does he have to wait for someone to ask him to convert? Is that the only way? I can't find this anywhere.

Also, in a hotseat game, when we tried to load all that came up was a screen that asked if bismarck wanted to wait for the other players, save and continue, or save and quit. It's a hotseat game, I thought all the players are already there! How can they rejoin as well on the same computer?

Thanks!
To switch your own religion click on the red hand symbol in the top right. Then click on the box that represents the religion you want to go to. Then request a revolution.

Follow up question: is Anarchy only one turn. I've changed multiple civics at one time and it's always one turn.

In Civ 3, popups will be shown whenever civs go to war, make peace, sign military alliances, and complete wonders. Is there a way to enable these popups instead of having this information displayed in that left hand side text box. That box doesn't really catch my attention.

I had no warning one turn I was busy shelling a town with a flotila of frigates the next they had been moved out of the enemies teritory and no unit of mine gould go in it.

I had no popups, no warning, nothing!

thedaian said:
21. You no longer actually launch the spaceship, it does it automaticly. If you can't build any more of the ships pieces in cities, and all the parts are done, then, you should win. I'm not sure if it takes a turn to actually "launch", though. Anyone want to verify this?
You're right in saying that there's no longer a specific "launch" step; the sequence is a little different from the one in Civ3.

When you complete the last component of the starship, nothing seems to happen. After a turn or so, the message "[Your leader] has won a space-race victory" appears at the bottom of the screen, but nothing more. After what seems to be at least one more turn--I've only gotten to this point twice--the game plays a movie shorter and IMO less impressive than the one on Civ3.

rlohmann said:
When you complete the last component of the starship, nothing seems to happen. After a turn or so, the message "[Your leader] has won a space-race victory" appears at the bottom of the screen, but nothing more. After what seems to be at least one more turn--I've only gotten to this point twice--the game plays a movie shorter and IMO less impressive than the one on Civ3.
The game tells me I've won a space race victory on the same turn that it completes the last spaceship part. I have movies turned off, so I haven't seen that movie. It takes me to the set of screens for a win (fairly slowly), then, after it's shown the last screen in that sequence, it gives me the option of going back to the main screen or "Play just one more turn!". That's VERY slow.

Please can anyone explain why there is a the two-tone colour scheme for the research bar, production bar, etc.? Sometimes in the production bar there's a brown colour showing slightly ahead of the usual grey colours. What's that mean? Thanks.

Does anyone know if there are any options for the CivilizationIV.ini file that are not already present in the file (ie. lines that can be added)? Specifically, is there a way to make Show Tiles (grid display) enabled by default? I hate having to click it or hit CTL-T every time I load a saved game, particularly since it takes about 3 seconds to apply on my not-so-new system.

Also, are there any command line switches that can be used when executing Civilization4.exe? The only one I'm aware of is /FXSLOAD="%1" which is appended when you open a saved game (or worldbuilder or replay) file through the Windows shell. I was wondering if there is a switch (or change to the .ini file) to skip the load movies and go straight to the main menu.

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere, I searched the forums and couldn't find the answers.

How is it determined which tiles a city can work? In Civ 3, if two cities of the same civilization were in range to work the same tile, then either city could work the tile. In Civ 4, it seems that only one or the other has access to the tile. What's the rule for determining which one? First come, first served? Larger city? Higher culture? Something else?

Top Bottom