New civ question

Darkranger85

Chieftain
How long does it take a fairly experienced modder to come up with a new civ complete with new unit models, so that every unit is themed for that civ?

And on that same note, how hard is it for someone with no modding or related experience to learn how to do that?

Thanks!

That's a pretty vague question but I'll take a crack at it. There are three parts.

1. Design the unit statistics and behavior you want on paper/spreadsheet
2. Implement the XML and any python or SDK changes
3. Create the unit art

Anybody can do #1. Many proposed mods get this far and no farther.

If you are a good programmer, you can pick up enough about XML and python to do #2. I have done this; it took about a month of part time work (100 hours?) to get from "no knowledge about civ4 modding" to "having a released mod".

For #3, I have no skills as a 3d artist and you didn't mention if you have any. I know that expert unit artists who contributed to my mod could turn out a new variant unit in a couple of days, or a couple of weeks if the underlying model is completely new like the tanker or motorcycle in my mod. Your milage may be totally different, or zero :)

If you are not a 3d artist, your best bet is to design something simple (#1) and get enough working to release a playable mod (#2). Then try to get unit artists interested. If you do #1 only and then ask for unit artists, you will probably not get much response.

Theoretically, I suppose if you are a 3d artist, you could do the reverse (#1 and #3, then recruit a programmer for #2).

The easiest way is to proceed in 4 steps (at least, it's what I did).

Step 1:
The simplest part is modding the Xml. For example, you can initially make simple modifications to existing units, and see what happens. When you are familiar with the main nodes and attributes, you can try adding new elements (eg, new units), even though you don't change the graphic.

Step 2: random events.
With events you can make something happens, that you cannot do with simply xml modding. This is the easiest way to control something "dynamic".
Add some new events; you'll learn a lot!

Step 3: random events python scripts
If you add some events, you'll find yourself with the need of "some more control", and that leads you to python scripts. Maybe, it's the hardest part, because you need to learn a programming language. However, most of the things you want to do are already done! So, you'll find snippets for every code section you have to write; just look over the existing py files.

Step 3b: general python scripts
When you'll be familiar with python, you'll want to write code which is unbound to random events. For example, if you want your code to be executed every turn, or every time a unit is moved, etc.

Step 4: SDK
Final level!!! If you're arrived at this point, you have no limit (almose!) on what you can do!!!

Top Bottom