The Naming Thread

Sorry if I'm daft (eh, not really sorry) but what sports is this Dallas Mavericks team? Some weird US-only sports like baseball or that rugby-like thing called "football"? :p

The internet is your friend. :)

Here's their official website.

Here are the current NBA standings.

Thanks... Do you truly believe that I would not be able to Google it myself? :)

(Just wrote that to point out how uninteresting it would be for me to start naming units and towns after players or the like ;))

Sorry if I'm daft (eh, not really sorry) but what sports is this Dallas Mavericks team?

To be honest, I had never heard of Mavericks before either, nor am I interested in sports (maybe poker if you can call that a sport). When I hear the word Dallas, I just think about the worlds first global soap-opera.

What we COULD do to really screw with our opponents' minds is have sequential naming changes. For example, we'd have a tracking thread that we'd use to know which city was which (i.e. with screenshots updated every name change), but with the city names changing, say, every 20 turns our opponents would never be able to keep track (until they started marking them themselves...)

The drawback is it might be a wee bit confusing for us too ;).

LOL, I love it. And IIRC doesn't Alt-D allow you to re-name your own civ description in how it shows up to others?

What a great idea Chimera1804! On our end we can just use in game notes to know which city is which!

I'm all for Chimera's idea. Especially if the name changes were pre-planned and at random intervals and random changes. Better still, rather than changing the names completely we could also consider switching all of our own city names to our other cities. Or maybe taking rival team's city names. lol, this could be confusing initially for the other teams.

Better still, rather than changing the names completely we could also consider switching all of our own city names to our other cities.

This was more or less what I meant...you have cities 1, 2, 3, and 4. At turn x city 4 gets named 2, 3 gets named 4, 1 gets named 3 and 2 gets named 1. Then x turns later you do it all again. Of course we'd have all that planned out in our forum here ;)

I vote, we make the city names obvious, like "King Crab" "Whip Factory", but we are subtle with the name switches. On a random bases 10-20 turns, we only switch the names of TWO cities (similar in attributes). The switches would be so subtle it would not be apparent right away what has happened.

I don't think it's going to fool anyone competent. But who knows, we might come up against someone incompetent :)

I don't think it's going to fool anyone competent. But who knows, we might come up against someone incompetent :)

You never know my friend, you know what they say about hiding in plain sight?

You never know my friend, you know what they say about hiding in plain sight?

So then we should name our Military city "Military City" and our GP Farm "GP Farm" just because they would think we wouldn't? :lol:

I think we should name our cities to install fear in our enemy

"SOD Creation City"
"5 Turn GP City"
"City of Winning us Race to Liberalism" - maybe a bit long :p

I'm actually happy with whatever the team decides just thought I'd throw in a laff option :p

I vote against the idea of rotating names. I'm not even sure why naming a fishing village "Ironworks" would distract opponents. They will see list of city names in diplo menu, but as soon as there's any scouting, the gig is up.

What benefit is there in changing city names after the fact? Just hoping someone will attack the wrong city?

I vote we name workers after Dallas players. I care as little about worker names as I do about the NBA. Only important thing is to identify them.

gaaaaaaaah:eek:... ...rotating names... ....gaaaaaaaaaah:eek:... ...this will be total chaos for any planing and discussing of worker and unit actions:crazyeye:

for cities i also dont really see the benefit in it, but i could live with it. but we should name at least 1 city Elephanthill

i couldnt care less for names of units, so my vote would be for something like this (for all unit-types the same)

1-name
2-name

cities what obs said, something descriptive, so you are able to quick remember and find it

so we have worker 1: 1-bob, worker 2: 2-sandy (fill in any name you like. i couldnt care less, as mentioned above... ...you can even rotate the names of cities on whatever rules you can imagine, if we at least are able to find workers and units quick) and so on. same goes for warriors and such.

really helps a lot for the planning discussion here, cause you simply have to say: i vote for worker 2 goes there turn Y and does that for X rounds

Well, it wouldn't be necessary for US to have to rotate the names. We could always just call our capital city City 1. And the second city City 2 in our forums, and have a chart somewhere saying, City 1 will be called Hajagjajdkd. And City 2 will be called Ieieuei. But we can just call them city 1 and 2.

Top Bottom