The Hundred Years' War for Civ5

Thanks for your comments!

Yeah. The peace treaty stuff is Firaxis' fault really. I placed England and France at permanent war in the editor, but the function is broken and the rival often comes after about ten turns of gaming and begs for mercy. The only way right now to stop that behaviour, is for the player to refuse him. I hope Firaxis get their act together and update the editors real soon, because there are a lot of these bugs restraining effective modding.

Yeah. i've been thinking about the Tech tree and the unit costs and tehy will be revised in coming updates. Right now I'm fighting with the Save Game Bug, but i have yet to find a solution. I need to get that fixed though before I can go on, because the ability to save games and restore them is fundamental to any gaming.

Thanks again for your opinions. I will also take your ideas on embarked units movement into account when updating!

Tonight i have isolated the file that is causing the save game problem. It was the file which removes units unused by this mod but that I wanted to cut out for aesthetics. The English Ship o'the Line and the French Foreign Legion and so. I will try to do that in another manner, but at least I will be able to have Version 3 of the Hundred Years' War up and going within the days. And then with a functioning Save Game option too!

It took me so long to solve the problem, since I had to go through every file one-by-one, so Civ5 modding is like modding blind. You don't get error messages pointing you in the right direction when the mod screws up, but it rather just shuts down and Crashes to Desktop. Oh well.

Version 3 is here!

Here we go with Version 3. I did not yet have time to do all the stuff I was planning due to the fact that I had to search out and correct a serious bug with the Save Games. There's still such a lot here to warrant an update, even if this is mostly to get rid of the Save Game Bug.

Updates:

- Corrected the Save Game Bug. It is now possible to restore saved games again.
- Added Jay the Killer's Knight Templar as Heavy Swordsman buildable by both nations.
- Made some of the units cheaper to build.
- The unique Units will show again and Settlers are buildable. This, because the file removing these was the one causing the problem with save games. I will work out another solution to remove these.

Stuff I did not yet have time to do include balancing and also making all the medieval units a lot cheaper to build. Also, I wanted to do the Tech Tree and create a new scenario or two. Oh well. These things will come at later updates, but at least I can sleep at night knowing that the Save Game bug is fixed.

Download here at CivFanatics, or get it on the Mod Hub.

Thanks for making it possible to download this Mod here. I have problems with the Mod Hub working.

You're welcome.

All my mods will be downloadable here, and in the future perhaps on ModDB too. This for several reasons; I really don't like the idea of the ModHub where people download stuff without ever reading anything about it or knowing what to do with it to get it set-up according to the creator's intents. I like creating threads and pages for my mods where there can be information, discussion and feedback and where I can show it off with screenshots and writing. And I am suitably old-fashioned.

I wish more modders will follow this system too, both the web and ModHub, although it will indeed demand a bit more work than just clicking the Upload Button on the ModHub. The symbolic number of 666 downloads on CivFanatics for The Hundred Years' War as of this date, tells that it is an appreciated effort too.

Here's Version 4

This is Version 4 of the Hundred Years' War. The main updates concern the tech tree, which has been slightly expanded and reworked using Lemmy's Tech Tree Editor which makes it real easy. I did some basic stuff to it; I plan to remove all unused techs as I go, but for now, just disabling them will do. Still things to do on the mod, but it's actually shaping up, innit?

Download on CivFanatics or get it on the ModHub.

November 7, 2010, V4 Update
- Added the two Scenarios 1356 and 1380.
- Changed some unit formations and sizes.
- Edited the Tech Tree using Lemmy's Visual Tech Tree Editor.
- Removed Permanent War in the Scenarios. Due to a bug in the game it needs to be like this until Firaxis fixes it!
- Unsuitable World Wonders are not buildable anymore.
- Units are buildable at updated Techs.
- Tech Banking is researchable.

The French are on the conquest in the South West; having won the Battle of Poitiers and killed the Black Prince, King Jean le Bon marches west and takes La Rochelle and then heads South, laying siege to Bordeaux. In reality, Jean le Bon lost at Poitiers in 1356 and was even captured by the English, but in the game anything's possible and this is actually how it could have happened.

Yeah. You should get Civ5. Right now, vanilla Civ ain't really worth it due to sucky AI and other problems, but it'll be OK after a few updates and modding, I think. Is it Steam haunting so you can't get it?

Civ5 is one of those games that really grows on you. I can be really disappointed one minute, and in the next minute I can think it's the most beautiful thing ever. I played my map of Fairy Tale for Civ5 last evening and that was one of those beautiful moments!

Modding is also shaping up really great, with Lemmy doing the Tech Tree Editor, Deliverator, JayTheKiller and the other blokes starting to create units for us and some good mods coming along.

Now we're getting somewhere concerning the AI's resistance. Yesterday I only had to parade all over France. Today, the situation is somewhat different. This is mostly due to the fact that I've lowered unit costs, not that the AI has gotten better.

This screenie is from the battle of Calais which I just fought; I am playing the English, having deployed only minor forces at Calais to defend it easily against the French in the north, while I concentrate on building my army in the south instead. What a mistake. The French begin with some minor skirmishing and I easily make them run and make raids in on their territory, thinking that Calais easily will hold its positions without even receiving reinforcements. The French come on stronger and stronger though and seem bent on taking Calais to any cost. Calais is in trouble!

Still stuff to do here, but at least I've gotten the enemy to build troops and send them into battle and also keep the pressure up. I need to do more testing to get the balance just right, but this is really a good beginning.

Yeah. You should get Civ5. Right now, vanilla Civ ain't really worth it due to sucky AI and other problems, but it'll be OK after a few updates and modding, I think. Is it Steam haunting so you can't get it?

No, it's not Steam issue. The issue is I live in a country where getting a hold of a legal copy of a game is next to impossible. Also, having my country tagged as one of those that have most CC fraud, makes me unable to buy online :/ I just gotta wait for one of my friend in the US buy me a copy when they come back for vacation.

I know there are a lot of complains for Civ5, but I rather to experience myself and form my own opinion about it. In any case, there are already several mods out there that I want to try: yours (both this and the upcoming FT2), and The Song of Ice of Fire mod.

From what I can tell, it's got beautiful arts (the stock and community mades). That's one of the attraction, plus, I have a new PC that is Civ5 ready :D

When you get Civ5, I'll probably have the first versions of Fairy Tale 2 up and going. I could already put together a working beta, but it wouldn't look too impressive, so I'll hang on a bit still and do this Hundred Years' War mod in the meantime. Oh yeah, and I have some FT1 updating still as well!

There will be LOTS of Fantasy mods for you to try out. I think it's the Fall from Heaven effect. The good thing about Fairy Tale is that it doesn't have to stick out in any way. That was the trademark of the first one - The more stereotypical, the better. I'll let all the others worry about sticking out and being innovative. :D

The French Noble

There. With the excellent help of Lemmy's Tech Tree Editor, I have easily added a unique unit to the French, the French Nobles. These are powerful knights units buildable early in the game. They are slower than the usual knight, but more powerful, so if the English let him near, he will have them for Fine French Supper.

I need to have the English counter him too. I will place the Longbowman earlier in the Tech tree. I would also like some unique art, and not just the common knight, but that will have to wait still. The French are getting another unique unit as well, the Genoese Crossbowman. IRL, the French had access to some really excellent Crossbowmen, drafted in Genova. The French army will be deadly if it gets close. I will make the English setup ranged and also more defensive in functions and efficiency.

The new units will be available in Version 5 of the Hundred Years' War that I'm now working hard on.

Really glad to see the mod shaping up - I played through version 1 a while ago.

While the map and setup are beautiful there were a lot of downsides: the gameplay was rather dissapointing (i.e. winning a walk in the park), the many unfitting wonders ruined immersion, and the long build times of units were very bad for the fun.

So I really like the changes you're doing to the mod and will have another go with version 5 :)

On a sidenote: The English Longbowmen have a serious flaw, which is their range. It makes them terribly overpowered, they can e.g. bombard cities from out of range. I would suggest removing this bonus in favour of a serious ranged damage increase. You could have the Genovese Crossbowmen have serious melee strength (~swordsmen) to make them unique.

Thank you kindly for your opinions. I have removed all of the wonders in the update that I have online now, because I think the AI was wasting resources on building the Pyramids instead of Knights too, and as you said, they were really unfitting. There's more stuff I need to remove, but the Wonders were indeed the most pressing.

Build times for units have also been balanced already, and more is needed, but at least I've gotten the enemy to build units. He does indeed go for the ones I've intended, just by balancing unit costs. I've done nothing to the AI and it's uncharted territory, but I will have a go at it in later updates to try and make him work as Medieval as possible.

I've been thinking about the units and the stats they should have; especially the English Longbowman. I should indeed decrease his range, but make him have good bonuses against mounted units too, to reflect how dangerous he really was for the French mounted Knights who tried to fight him.

Thanks, Derax. Right now, I'm at expanding the Tech Tree and trimming it a bit. I've gotten quite far already with it. I need more Medieval techs though, specifically civilian non-military. Shouldn't be too hard. Some of the techs still have no buildable units or buildings at them, but I will rearrange those too, and hopefully I will get myself a Bombard Unit some day to place at gunpowder.

All this is thanks to Lemmy's Visual Tech Tree Editor which makes designing tech trees simple and fun.

If you need ideas for techs or buildings, you could PM Craig_Sutter to see if he has a copy of the European Middle Ages mod. I know he was a team memeber on it. I would upload mine, but I lost it when I switched to Windows 7 and the dl links are broken.

I think I'll be OK. I have loads of ideas in this area. It's not like I need a real long Tech Tree for this one either. the Hundred Years' War lasts until 1453 and then it's game over and the winner is announced.

I've actually been thinking about making a total European Medieval mod. From the Fall of Rome to the discovery of America with Charlemagne, the Crusades, Hundred Years' War, Wars of Roses and all that in. Then I'll need a big Tree though, for I would want such a game to last long.

just wanted to say thanks for making a great fun mod and for making it available on civfanatics to dl. There is lots of mods and stuff i want to try but sadly my mod hub says it can never make a connection to dl any of theme so i am always grateful when a good one is put up here as well.:goodjob: thank you sir:king:

Thank you. Actually, I get that quite a lot. The Mod Hub isn't working very well as it is. I have a rather good internet connection and a pretty fast machine, but I still get huge download times for mods and I'd really want to download everything from CivFanatics or ModDB like in the old days.

I hope more modders are going to do it the way I do in the future; publish their mods both on the web and on the hub.

Top Bottom