Official Civ IV SDK - what will it contain?

jpinard

Martian
Did Firaxis ever outline exactly what was going to be in the SDK?

Specifically I'm wondering if it will contain an option to help merge mods. I know someone was trying to do that here, but it's be ncie to know if that's in the official plans.

I wish so bad we had that SDK right now.

I was testing the embyro engine; man, that program is just not worth over $70,000. If you know how to program and I mean high-level programming, then they should make there own engine and not use this… It is all code… Well some stuff is User friendly as a pit bull on steroids. :lol:

CrazyAce said:
I was testing the embyro engine; man, that program is just not worth over $70,000. If you know how to program and I mean high-level programming, then they should make there own engine and not use this… It is all code… Well some stuff is User friendly as a pit bull on steroids. :lol:

That's simple ignorance talking. A good game engine capable of doing what Gamebryo does takes signifigantly more than 70 grand to develop. Making your own engine definitely has upsides over licensing a pre-made engine like Gamebryo or Renderware, but neither cost or time is one of them.

jpinard said:
Did Firaxis ever outline exactly what was going to be in the SDK?

Specifically I'm wondering if it will contain an option to help merge mods. I know someone was trying to do that here, but it's be ncie to know if that's in the official plans.

I wish so bad we had that SDK right now.

It will have the code for a lot of the functions that run the game. City Growth and setting the current food is not in the python*. Also random number generation; determining city hammer, food, and commerce production; setting tiles worked; the AI; and a lot of other stuff.

-Drachasor

*Particularly annoying for me at the moment.

Anyone know if the SDK comes with any kind of GUI?

I like the customizability of direct XML and Python editing (and C++ with SDK), but with them the simple changes take considerably more effort than they should. An editor containing at least the very basic functions would be very welcome - like adding and editing units, changing building attributes, etc. Editing the code and xml databases directly is good for complex changes, but minor things are too cumbersome that way.

I'm not familiar with "SDK". What is it? What will it do? When can I get It?
Could someone explain?
Thanks

Its the "Software Development Kit."
Baasically it allows you to edit everything but the title of the game.
I think it comes out in January/Febuary.

AlCosta15 said:
Its the "Software Development Kit."
Baasically it allows you to edit everything but the title of the game.
Ah. But will it allow us to *easily* edit everything in the game? That's what I want to know.

If you've had practice, I think it could be moderately easy. If not, like me, it will get take some practice probably.

Cinsidering the SDK will probably be C++, then I doubt it will eb easy for those unfamilar with programing. To change these things the alterations will have to be made in the code and then compiled. I do not know if the SDK will come with a compiler, but I doubt it. There are some free oens tho

All I need to know is this-Can the SDK be used to add to the items which can be hooked into by Python and XML? If yes, then this will probably mean that I can request those with the programming skills to add the extra python hooks into the API, which I can then hopefully manipulate using the Python Scripting tools.
In particular, I want the ability to swap around the functions of health and food, have the ability to create things which REDUCE unhappiness, and link resource availability to tech research rates-none of which I believe I can do right now!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
In particular, I want the ability to swap around the functions of health and food, have the ability to create things which REDUCE unhappiness, and link resource availability to tech research rates-none of which I believe I can do right now!
Sure you can. Not literally, but similar effects.
* Resources => Tech rate: take a look at ironworks, and apply to library.
* Reducing unhappiness equals increasing happiness. Or do I miss something here?
* food<->health: More difficult, but since you have full control over both via tile yield value and buildings, it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something similar to what you want...

Sorry, but I am afraid that you have totally misinterperated what I am asking for. First, the resource---->tech link refers to SPECIFIC resources to specific techs, such as iron improving the research rate of Iron Working and Metal Casting (Obviously Iron would have to appear with either Mining or Bronze Working in this case!)
There is a BIG difference between raising Happiness and Lowering Unhappiness. As I said above, a police state hardly makes people HAPPY, but it does reduce the number of UNHAPPY people-by sending those people of to either Gulags or Death Camps. The two are completely different.
Swapping Food for Health well.....if it can be done now, I see know means of doing so-and I have perused the API quite thoroughly.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom