Uomo Universalis

22 civs is a hard limit, so there is no scenario with all civs in it.

Questions about the scenarios: What is the major difference between the two?
Only the civ selection, which is fixed for each scenario, nothing random. The "Ancient" version has an empty new world and includes Greece, Rome and Carthage along the Mediterranean. "Discovery" on the other hand has the Ottomans, Spain and Moors. It also has a populated new world.
I don't think I'll add more variations, but they are easy to make. E.g., the change a game option: open the map, tick the option you would like, save.[/QUOTE]

Also I find Europe is a bit distorted and could be bigger.
It is. I stretched it so that enough good spots should be available at 4 tiles distance (though possible, the AI doesn't like settling at 3). And Europe is never big enough for a westerner :)

Thank you for the appreciation :)

I see(it has been a while since I loaded up the editor) so the two just have varied civs amongst themselves. If I had time I could possibly do a scenario for the mod, assuming you added more civs. I don't really know if you want help or not.

Europe isn't that bad, better than I could probably do, but the one thing that I find weird is that Germany and Austria are kindof one big mesh, I just think it could be interesting to have Poland vs Germany vs Austria. Alas I will take what I get, and thank you for it so far.

If I had time I could possibly do a scenario for the mod, assuming you added more civs. I don't really know if you want help or not.
That would be nice! Though I'm done adding new civs really. You could use a few existing ones and rename them. I thought of using the Mongols to represent the Huns for NiRv4n4's Europe map, but haven't touched it yet.

I just think it could be interesting to have Poland vs Germany vs Austria.
This could work on a (the) map of Europe, but on world scale these capitals would be only 3 tiles apart, which is a bit extreme.

Done some more thinking on the new culture victory. My main concern is that the AI can't grasp it. Though it can still hinder the human a lot by hogging wonders, even if never winning by doing so. Another question is whether or not to keep around the utopia project.

The plan is as follows:
- Yes to above question: 4 trees are required for utopia. Then the path splits for AI or human.
- The AI will need to get 6 more policies after completing utopia to win (same number as space ship parts). A message will appear upon getting them (5, 4, 3,... remaining).
- The human instead needs to get those 3 legendary cities. I think I will make city culture capped, say 30k, and have utopia remove the cap.

This way the project becomes a true prerequisite like Project Longshot (vanilla's apollo). For longshot you need high tech, for utopia high culture.
I would try to edit the victory screen so the icons will reflect the required policies or legendary cities (2 filled icons for each city), instead of completed trees.

Does this make sense? Not too far-fetched? Fun?

It seems kind of unfair. How are three legendary cities equal to 6 polices, when 6 policies would be much easier to get.

True. Just lost to a runaway Korea which filled 6 policy trees (and got 1 legendary city), so 4*5 + 6 policies would indeed be too easy for the AI. But the AI is not programmed to get 3 legendary cities, so it needs an alternative imho.

New version is here. The change log:

CULTURE
- Can win a culture victory by getting 3 legendary cities (or fill 6 trees and build utopia)
- Cities now keep track of their total culture; 40k is needed to become legendary
- No more free policy from getting a legendary city
- A warning is generated if a player fills its 6th tree
- Free culture from terracotta army, mass games and great works added to (nearest) city
- Improved sagrada familia and culture from great works
DIPLOMACY
- Added the Sacred Canon national wonder (at scripture tech)
- Mburichi now requires capital or monastery; requirement modifiers now apply
SCIENCE
- Modern age tech tree more flexible and more clear
- Hubble now adds science to each observatory
CONQUEST
- Extra unit prerequisites: atomic bomb requires radar, nuclear missile requires fission
CREDITS
- New national epic icon by sukritact, taken from "The Motherland Calls" wonder
- Code for storing city (tile) culture: from Gedemon's "Cultural Diffusion" mod
- SaveUtils and ShareUtils: Whys

It was not as straightforward as I anticipated; I hope I'm not the only one excited about the result ;) I will be pulling some stuff from here to mod components later, like the ability to add tech effects to wonders (by granting/removing a hidden tech - see screenshot).
The modern tech tree is further improved. Key factor was the ability to add secondary tech requirements to units: thanks to Pazyryk for pointing me to it!
For next version the renaissance and industrial era's will get a work over and I'll be adding war weariness (more on that soon).

I'll be releasing officially in a few days, I'm first going to play a game now. I've uploaded the latest version here, so some kind person might double my ability to fine tune it in the coming days. Everything has been tested using DonQuiche's ingame editor.

Attachments

• cbomb.jpg
    cbomb.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 145
  • canon.jpg
    canon.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 161
I seem to be stuck in a permanent golden age. It has showed 21 turns remaining for several turns and is not counting down. Used a GP for golden age and it went up to 37 turns remaining and still won’t count down. This is with the latest version. Never had this issue before.

Strange, I don't alter anything related to golden ages.
Do you have other mods running? Is there an error in Lua.log? How did you trigger the problematic GA and do you have modifying abilities/policies/buildings? If you don't own any DLC I could also look at the savegame.

Looking into it, thanks for playing & reporting!

I seem to be stuck in a permanent golden age. It has showed 21 turns remaining for several turns and is not counting down. Used a GP for golden age and it went up to 37 turns remaining and still won’t count down. This is with the latest version. Never had this issue before.

Strange, I don't alter anything related to golden ages.
Do you have other mods running? Is there an error in Lua.log? How did you trigger the problematic GA and do you have modifying abilities/policies/buildings? If you don't own any DLC I could also look at the savegame.

Looking into it, thanks for playing & reporting!

Just running the 3 UU mods. This was the 3rd golden age produced only from happiness.

Had to go back 20 turns to find a save that that wasent stuck at 21 and it had the golden age at 20. Played through the next 20 turns with no issues.

The only thing I could find is that I have 2 versions of SaveUtils in the mod, with different MY_MOD_NAME variable. Cleared that out, though I don't know if it is related as I couldn't reproduce the problem.

Another issue though is that the saving of city culture gets carried over to all saves; say you go back from turn 200 to turn 100, your cities will have the turn 200 culture level. This might be due to how I save the culture table, so I'll come up with an alternative or seek help. When playing through normally you won't notice anything.

In my test game I could get the 6 trees victory about 20 turns before my cities would be legendary, so I'll lower the threshold to 35k.

Update on the upcoming v6. I mainly focused on the renaissance & industrial part of the tech tree. One big effect of the changes is that you can reach the industrial age (and its policies) more quickly. Five new techs were added and some more changed. Some highlights:
  • Scientific Method: now a tech branching out rather than in, as a prerequisite for advanced science rather than the consequence (as was the impression of Scientific Theory). Leads (a.o.) to chemistry, as it was the scientific method that formed the discipline out of its precursor; alchemy. Too bad the rigid civ5-style tech tree prohibits keeping the metallurgy line as prerequisite.
  • Compulsory Education: takes the (former) place of Scientific Theory, with public school and lumber mill boost.
  • Political Science: Envoy etc.
  • Flintlock (replaces Metallurgy) & Ballistics: allows the cavalry (switched with lancer) and canon respectively. The term Metallurgy, just like Physics, is way too broad: just how have I been making steel weapons before then?
  • Industrial Steel: along with fertilizer, one of the badly represented hallmarks of the industrial revolution. Prerequisite to Artillery, which gets moved back into the second column.
  • Urbanization: we have Globalization, so this deserves its place too. Allows the police station. I have war weariness plans for that, but for now its stats are: city heal rate +2, gold +10% (less crime) and +10% land unit production (military police etc). Requires an armory.
But an image says more than a thousand words. I like the opening and endgame to have many valid options, whereas the central eras are more about specialization. The game situation in the modern age is often boring enough to on top of that be doing the same beelines over and over. So you'll find a bit of everything everywhere. I (again) moved some things around to make every branch attractive and worth spending mental time on.

Also new are the Globe Theatre (requires, you never guessed, theaters in all cities) and a new Louvre effect: it now grants +1 culture in its home city for every wonder in your empire.

So lastly about the cavalry-lancer switch: basically its historically more fitting.
I have cavalry representing the new type of light, unarmored cavalry. Barely stronger than a knight and still (somewhat) vulnerable to pikes, but with a bonus to damaged (think "broken formations") units.
Lightly or unarmored lancers got back into fashion later: uhlans in Poland and neighboring countries, plus Napoleon loved them too. Great on offense, as in vanilla, but vulnerable in the subsequent melee - against other cavalry, so much unlike vanilla.
Will play with all this when finished (and I make some more changes on the food buildings), but I'm interested in theories :) And v5 feedback of course!

It's done and it's here. Made several units stronger in the end. Both knights and lancers get an attack bonus (and no defense penalty). They should be more useful now. I also included Thal's code for promotion conversion when going from ranged to gun.

Also boosted some policies that were underwhelming. For the tech tree, click here.

I just encountered a CS-related crash for the first time; so the compatibility problem with NASCM that was hinted at before is hereby confirmed. The new types are off by default - just leave it that way and there will be no problem.
I'll try to get a clue why it goes CTD: I have a save at my disposal now.

I singled out the CS provoking the crash: there seemed to be nothing special about it. Nobody is even friends with it, and I took away all civs gold the turn before so it's unlikely that situation would have changed (quest reward is a possibility). I deleted that CS and played on. About 10 turns later: bam, another CTD.

As nothing shows up in the lua log (and in fact disabling the new CS effects does nothing to help) it must be in the "black box" dll. The event that triggers it appears to be either random (i.e., a consequence of the game seed) or based on multiple hidden and seemingly unrelated factors. I would consider it likely that in the source code there is something hard-coded for the vanilla CS types that's called only sporadically. But then the question is why it is never triggered for NACSM... (based on the lack of bug reports there). My mod doesn't alter CSs so I wouldn't know what a compatibility issue could be. Certainly not one whose effect stabs straight at the source.

Conclusion: nothing I can do until we have source code access. The NACSM component unfortunately gets disabled. I liked it a lot :(

No new quests. When deleting CSs I can play on so the problem is definitely related. Apart from NACSM the only thing I do to CSs is change the value of MINOR_CIV_GOLD_GIFT_GAME_MULTIPLIER. Hardly suspect. Of course a CS counts as a player, so there is always a chance the problem lies elsewhere.

One of the problems debugging this is its sporadic nature. I've been playing crash-free since I started this mod, so it only seldom happened. Whatever test I devise that makes my save incompatible, I can never be sure of the result. What I could safely do is disable all lua scripts and the problem remains. So it must be something in the XML/SQL that the game accepts, yet can't handle in some situations.

In Acient map,quick combat option is enabled.Like in Acient QC.Can I change it without SDK?

Try the following: go to "Mods\Uomo Universalis Earth\Maps" and open the map with a text editor (e.g. notepad). Run a search for GAMEOPTION_QUICK_COMBAT. Delete this, plus the stuff between it and VICTORY_DIPLOMATIC. Please let me know if it works; if not I'll edit the map and send it to you.

Sorry for the trouble. I try to double check this when editing the map, but when setting the option it may change for all maps instead of just the one you're working on (and saving). Seems like a bug in the WorldBuilder to me.

Top Bottom