Suleiman post G&K rebalance

Cromagnus

Deity
Any thoughts? I'm trying to win on Deity with Suleiman, and really struggling. I recognize I could ignore his unique ability and play it safe until I have Janissaries, but I'd ideally like to actually *use* his ability. However, it seems to me the ability is just useless in the early game, and by the mid-game, redundant.

Now that Prize Ships is available to other civs through promotion (and don't get me started on the Dutch), starting with it on every melee ship seems so pointless. In the early game, capturing galleys or enemy triremes is sooo situational, at best. Even when it works out in your favor, it's a bad thing! Even a large number of triremes usually can't cap a city, and the 1/3 cost isn't enough to make up for how expensive it is to maintain them all.

My last game, I capped 3 barbarian galleys, and then got attacked by Alexander. This gave me a zero-diplomacy-hit justification for stealing his navy, which I do. I ended up, after promoting the galleys and the triremes I easily took from him, (always choosing the vs cities promotions) with 7 total units. After getting them all back to the capital to heal, which took forever, I cruise on over to his only coastal city. I get there, and of course it's only approachable from one sea tile. Because Triremes are melee, I'm basically sending them to their death. Each one attacks, maybe survives, then has to go allll the way back to my cities to heal. So I get to take 7 potshots on his city, and lo and behold it doesn't fall. Sure, I could have painstakingly marched my army over the hills to join in on the attack, but his army (on Deity) in the early game totally outmatches mine, especially because I've had to tech Sailing. And that army ain't cheap. That's where my point about the 1/3 cost comes in. It's still too expensive. In fact, next time, I'm probably going to start deleting half the ships I take.

(Oops, didn't realize I had switched forums, my bad!)
Now this was continents. So I tried an archipelago map. Well, in that case, the AI rushes for Great Lighthouse and Colossus, which hurts, and then nobody really attacks you during the early game. Attacking them in the early game successfully requires optics, yet another serious tech delay. It's bad enough to have to take Sailing. Plus, you're incurring the dreaded diplomacy hits if you actually do attack them.

Basically, in my opinion, by the time it's really of use, you can just build Privateers!!

Otherwise you're sitting around with an expensive useless navy during the early game that slowed down your tech progress in other important areas.

Essentially, triremes are inferior battering rams. So, you're really waiting until you can spawn caravels before his ability is of use.

Someone please point out the flaw in my logic. At least when triremes had a ranged attack, you could use them to take a city. But right now, you have to move troops over-land if you really want that city, because archer + city attack will pretty much take out a trireme in one round.

How does one pull off a barbarian navy rush with Suleiman? Or is it really just as useless as it seems?

Moderator Action: Moved to G&K.

Early on you might not see much use from stealing ships, and, yes privateers come right about the time the AI will care about their navy, but it's just one of those UA's that gets better later. In the late game, your destroyers will be able to take enemy battleships without ever having been a privateer, and you can better use your navy to support a land invasion as well.

Also, later, you're more likely to see more ranged ships, which can contribute instnatly to an invasion without needing to go back and heal to be safe.

Don't forget you're talking about ships you get for free. If the enemy sinks them, it still added to your effort against the enemy. If it's too expensive to maintain the navy you are acquiring, early or late, you can always use your free ships to take an enemy city with heavy losses that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise, or just take them home and delete them. Of course, after the very early game, if you get ships, you'll probably be at war, so if you can't afford them, just running them into the enemy to weaken them (and possibly get a better peace deal), should pretty well always be an option.

Never ignore the fact that a cheaper navy is going to be saving you money, either. It adds up to a lot of money over time, which can be used on CS's, units, buildings, military...just remember how flexible that extra money is!

Just a tip. If you accumulate an early large navy - sail them next to city states and bully them for their gold.

Both great tips ^

Stealing battleships that can turn around and hit the enemy is clutch (or at least draw fire from your own ships, as they will be 50% health and the AI seems to prioritize weakened units).

Just a tip. If you accumulate an early large navy - sail them next to city states and bully them for their gold.

This is good fun, and lives up to the Corsair name. :p

It works until the city states gain either a few triremes of their own, or a couple of composite bows. But the galleys can easily pay for themselves through extortion if you have enough coastal CS nearby.

Oh, duh, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Now that's exactly the kind of tip I needed. Thanks!

Hey, does bullying affect diplomacy?

I do see the value of having a navy later that gets that promotion for free. I just find that on Deity, getting an early advantage is kind of super important. I guess if I sail them around bullying all the city states one at a time, that could really add up. I'll have to give that a try. Of course, if that's a diplomacy hit, I'm bit leery of pissing off all their allies.

Bullying only really affects diplomacy if said CS is under protection of another player. So pick those battles wisely. As long as you don't war with the CS's, abusing them is generally not cared about by those who don't protect them.

You can also pledge to protect a city state and then bully them too. If you pledge to protect them I am not sure but it seems less likely other civs will pledge to protect them too (if you pledge first)

How often can you bully citystates?

Now I am not exactly sure. This is a question I would love for someone else to answer.

Because there are times when I am going on a bullying strategy and am not sure if its because not enough turns have passed or if the army next to it isn't big enough to bully again.

I have played a few multi games where with cheap units I can get a high military count and rather than declare war on others I use the units to go around bullying city states (that way I can collect enough gold to buy a settler each round of bullying while still building units). Only works well though when there is a good concentration of city states

Now I am not exactly sure. This is a question I would love for someone else to answer.

Because there are times when I am going on a bullying strategy and am not sure if its because not enough turns have passed or if the army next to it isn't big enough to bully again.

I have played a few multi games where with cheap units I can get a high military count and rather than declare war on others I use the units to go around bullying city states (that way I can collect enough gold to buy a settler each round of bullying while still building units). Only works well though when there is a good concentration of city states

Isn't there a downside to this though? You're basically helping an AI become their ally. I assume that it works both ways. When an AI bullies a CS, you get a quest for cash. I imagine the AI gets those same quests cash when you bully them. And the AIs have more cash on Deity, making those quests more useful for them...

EDIT: Also, I forgot to even try this last night, because I almost immediately ended up in repeated land wars with Boudicca. She was the number one civ, but I was well set up to defend, so she would periodically DoW, then offer peace for free after I killed off some units. So she started allying with my neighbor CS. So what I did do is basically camp my navy outside those CS, and whenever a war started I would just immediately capture all their ships. Those captured ships would usually die immediately from City fire, but I didn't really care anyway. The ones that didn't die healed during the ten rounds of peace treaty and slowly grew my navy, and when I teched Caravels I built up an small army, waited for the next DoW, and went absolutely ballistic on her allied CS, capping all the ones in easy reach, not even worrying if a caravel died attacking. (And they all had Coastal 2 by then)

It was maybe not the ultimate strategy, but free units turned into free money, which turned into capping CS without a diplo hit. At least I think there was no hit. The other AI don't seem to care that I capped them...

Top Bottom