Civilization in Film (each leader)

seancolorado

Deity
I know this is a Civ forum, but I don't know where else to post this. Civ V is the first Civ I played and one thing it accomplished for me is it reignited my interest for history. Particularly in film. Now, I realize movies are dramatized and only semi-historical but I wanted to see if people here knew of good movies to match the Civ leaders.

These are two films I watched recently that really gave a feel for life in the certain civ:

Genghis Khan - "Mongol" (2007)

Mayans - "Apocalypto" (2006)

Does anybody know of any other foreign language films (or English) that portray civ leaders? I'd be particularly interested in one one Askia of Songhai. If enough people read this I'd actually like to have a complete list: one film for each leader (or at least each nation during the relevant time period) in Civ V G&K.

Ghandi - "Ghandi"

Alexander - "Alexander"

Elizabeth - "Elizabeth"

(This is easy! ;) )

Isn't there a movie called Attila out there as well? If they're a super famous historical figure, it shouldn't be too hard, like Augustus or Washington, but I'm not sure about Wu Zetian or Ramkhanghang or some of the lesser known (at least to the movie industry) leaders.

Isn't there a movie called Attila out there as well? If they're a super famous historical figure, it shouldn't be too hard, like Augustus or Washington, but I'm not sure about Wu Zetian or Ramkhanghang or some of the lesser known (at least to the movie industry) leaders.

There is a family guy episode of SIam where louis does a theater play about siamese kings or something like that

wich is actualy a parody at : The King and I stage musical,

Wu Tse Tien (1939)

She's also a central plot character in that recent Detective Dee movie by Tsui Hark

My brother-in-law and I were flipping channels one weekend and came across this movie:

The Conqueror

We laughed hysterically at a white guy with a cowboy accent portraying Ghengis Khan. :lol:

The last of the Mohicans for the Iroquois... Just kidding :p Mohicans =/= Mohawks. But the French and Indian war was started by a Mohawk + George Washington if I remember correctly. So...

there's a 1927 silent film on napoleon that i've heard is the better film to watch about his life

Waterloo for Napoleon.

Bare in mind however a lot of 'historical films' aren't actually historically accurate. The stories are told in a way which makes them more attractive at the box office! :rolleyes:

For a moment I thought this was a suggestion for an SFM-style thing for Civ leaders which would be amazingly funny and about as likely as the moon blowing itself up.

Ten Commandments had Ramesses. I can't help but hear "Creeping Death" when I think about him. I realize that's DEFINITELY dramatized, but still.

Top Bottom