E3 2007: Sid Meier Interview on GameSpot

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
GameSpot sat down with Sid Meier at E3 to talk about Civilization Revolution and future plans for Firaxis Games. They discussed why Sid Meier is bringing Civilization to consoles, the fully animated combat, design changes Firaxis has made to make the Civ experience work on a console, the more open-ended research model, the highly streamlined interface, the biggest challenge to get console gamers addicted to the series "one more turn" gameplay, and more. Below is a quote:

Meier suggested that in order to make the Civ experience work on a console, the team is looking to cram all the excitement of a Civilization session into a two- to three-hour game session, rather than the sometimes-epic sessions the PC versions can stretch into. In addition, much of the game is being streamlined for easier use and accessibility on consoles, such as the technology tree of various scientific upgrades players can research. The tech tree won't be as big as that of Civ IV, but it will have "all the essentials," including everything players need to win the space race.

>> Read the interview

It already sounds like Civ is going to be "dumbed-down" for all the console gamers. Which is exactly why I don't own a console. Much the same happened for the board game (imho), which is ok because it is meatspace which has natural limitations.

If I could change anything, I would make the console version include a basic mode that has the "cut-down" version of Civ as well as include the "classic" or "advanced" mode which would include everything from the PC version.

No matter how they dumb it down civ isn't a console game, it can't compete with shooters, or scrollers in that medium. People who love civ WANT the depth and the epic excitement.

So what do we have here? A game that civ fans won't like, and that console gamers probably won't be super into either? I guess it's a good intro to start hooking a few new fans into the franchise though. Give them a taste and then entice them into the real game.

Just so long as "Revolution" isn't civ V. lol

Top Bottom