AI's Afraid of you?

CaptainKapow

Immortal
I just had this happen for the first time and I busted my gut laughing. :lol:

Montezuma the Great of The Aztecs: (AFRAID)

"Oh great one, my hope is that you will long serve as a paragon of strength and virtue for lesser leaders such as myself."

What I find amusing is that I only have 2 pikemen, a rifle and a caravel. I'm not quite sure what he's so scared of.

Anyone else seen this before?

I've also seen this from Montezuma, and only from him, in one of my games, and the only other online example I saw of an AI being afraid was, again, of Montezuma being afraid. :)

I don't really understand why it happens, though, or why all the instances I know of all involve a scared Montezuma.

I've seen it once with Elizabeth. I had several more cities than she did, but no army so it must have been size.

LOL

Montezuma:
It is clear to all that you are a wise and mighty ruler. I ask that you might also be compassionate towards those like myself who are weak.

Unfortunately being afraid doesn't make him give into any demands I make of him.

I saw it with Monty in the game I am playing right now. It was very early in the game. Monty does have the highest stat for it, so makes sense we usually see it from him.

I saw it with Cathy right after the .141 patch, but not since then. Bizarre: I wasn't settling near her, had no troops near her, and was only a couple slots ahead of her in the military ranking (she was not on the bottom, either).

The "afraid" status is still possible. AIs that are afraid will throw in something extra into otherwise fair deals, usually "open borders".

The 'Afraid' mechanism is ingenious. If you have a few more units than them, certain leaders (Montezuma, Pachacuti) can become afraid of you.

If however, you are nuking the crap out of their lands and smashing their armies and cities silly, they'll be slightly pissed, at most, and certainly won't hesitate to call you dirty names.

Darius, Monty, Pachachuti and Ramesses have a higher chance to become "afraid", but I've also seen Nabucco in one of my games.

It would be nice if there was some game mechanic to allow a rival Civ to submit (like the older versions of CiV)- the way things stand now it doesnt matter how far ahead you are you still have to drag your army around the world to crush that one last capital that somehow managed to remain free despite the fact that its their only city and their defending with muskets and you're bringing the heat with Mech Infantry and Rocket Artillery.

I know I won, the AI should know I won - I (for some reason) just can't stop playing the game - I typically waste at least one hour of my life to see the "very impressive" static image of my victory condition at the end of every game of CiV I play.... why do I do that?

It would be nice if there was some game mechanic to allow a rival Civ to submit (like the older versions of CiV)

They do. Capitulation was replaced by gifting all cities but the capital. I usually take them all and then sell them most to the highest bidder.

I know I won, the AI should know I won - I (for some reason) just can't stop playing the game - I typically waste at least one hour of my life to see the "very impressive" static image of my victory condition at the end of every game of CiV I play.... why do I do that?

me2 :(, but for me civ NEVER is a waste of time :)

And I also think that we would have deserved at least a nice video sequence (one random out of some for each victory type) with some music when having won a game.
I'm also missing the "History"-function (where it said, when you founded which city, mentions your wars and wonders etc.) having been present in older civ-versions.

Hahaha - I had the "Afraid" showing up from Suleiman in a OCC-game... He had around 20 cities, and completely surrounded me - he also had destroyed Alex and Ghandi! Just outside my borders, I saw around 20-40 infantry and other military units... I personally had only a few units...

Not sure if the "Afraid" showed up after I built a nuke, but it was ludacris!

Just to test him, after having won a cultural-victory, I nuked him...... Next round, all of my units were dead, my city suffered from 4-5 Guided Missiles and two nukes...... - He had absolutely NO reason to be afraid!

I had Liz come to me and say she was afraid of me. Which was bizzare because she had nearly double my score at the time.

Top Bottom