How does air interception work?

Question

King
As title? I assume theres some sort of range limit, but what is it? If you air sweep a AA unit, will your fighter take damage?

And let's say i have a missle cruiser that has bombarded a unit this turn, can it still intercept that turn?

Someone please give us some help. I rarely play into late game, and I really don't know how this works either. I'd really appreciate some insight.

Air Interception has a range corresponding to the normal range of the unit I think - maybe a little less? Anyway, it has a range, and if an enemy airplane tries to target on of your units or cities that is within this range, your air unit will attack the enem plane damaging them (but also taking damage itself) whereas the original target will go unharmed. Each airplane can only intercept once per turn unless you have the Sortie upgrade.

Air Sweeping an AA unit will do a tiny bit of damage to your airplane I think, something like 3-5 points of damage (out of 100). It will use up the intercept attack of the AA gun for that turn. If there are multiple AA guns, you'll need to do multiple Air Sweeps. If there are intercepting enemy airplanes, they'll engage with your fighter preventing the Air Sweep as per a normal Interception if I'm not mistaken. If you Air Sweep an area and there are no AA guns or defending Fighters within the region your Fighter will not suffer damage but will use it's turn and you get a message that it encountered no resistance.

So if my missle cruiser bombards a unit that turn, can they still intercept?

And doesn't this mean that destroyers have a intercept range of 1 since they are melee?

I have never seen a destoyer or a missile cruiser do an intercept, but that's prolly cause the AI rarely uses airplanes in my games.

So if my missle cruiser bombards a unit that turn, can they still intercept?

And doesn't this mean that destroyers have a intercept range of 1 since they are melee?

I don't have any source to my claims, it's just based on my own experience:

Missile Cruiser and Destroyers (and AA Guns/SAMS) will intercept within a 2 hex radius, and only if it has any spare movement points left over.

If you bombard with your missile cruiser, it will have 0 moves left, and thus won't be able to intercept. If you have the Logistics promotion however, you can bombard twice, and still have movement points left over for intercepts. Thus, Logistics = golden.

Correct me if im wrong, but thats how it appears in my games :)

Top Bottom