Error Loading Font : Code 28

Angelscotboi

Emperor
I have this odd font error when trying to start PTW or Conquests.

It only occurs on PTW and Conquests. Vanilla Civ 3 runs fine on its own. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling C3C...but that didnt work.
Then I tried just installing PTW, and that didnt work.

I tried the solutions for this problem that is in this forum but they didnt work.
When i removed all the ludica fonts from my computer i still got the Code 28 error. When i coped the LSANS font from the Civ 3 folder to my fonts folder i still got the Code 28 error.
When I deleted the LSANS from the Civ 3 folder I got a Code 13 error - and the same error when I deleted the Ludica fonts completely from both Civ folder and my computer.

Nothing appears to work.

I dont understand why this is tho because Civ used to work just fine on this computer before I upgraded it; but its still the same Windows 98 OS that was on it before so the upgrade shouldnt have affected it.

Im at a loss.

I fot ill try asking here before emailing Firaxis directly.

Any ideas?

Those are solutions i tried. They were already on the forums. They dont work.

Thanx for ur help but I did say they dont work.

Do you have a Logitech mouse??
I had exactly the same problem.
I uninstalled the Logitech software("Logitech Mouseware" Program) for my Logitech MX500 mouse and that solved the problem!!

No i dont.
I have a packard bell optical mouse.
But I dont see how Mouse software would affect the Fonts on Civ...

However...
I gave up after no reply and uninstalled the lot.

That really sucks that you can`t play the game. :(
Uninstalling Logitech`s Mouse driver solved my problem.
I installed Conquests last night and kept on getting the "error loading font : code 28" message.
I did a Google Search and found a forum where someone said he had removed his Logitech Mouse Driver and it had solved the problem.
The forum is here : Forum Planet

I do know Logitech have made mice for Packard Bell.
Packard Bell then just put their name on the mouse.
See here : Logitech(Packard Bell) Mouse
Imsw,uninstall your Packard Bell Mouse Driver and let it run on the standard Win 98 mouse driver.
I reckon there is a good chance that the game will work.
Hey,it`s worth a try,`cos its a freakin` good game!! :goodjob:

No. I dont have a specialized mouse driver installed.
I told you that has nothing to do with it.

And besides the Packard Bell mouse I have is an OPTICAL mouse. IE It uses a LASER instead of a ball - that mouse crappy Logitech made for them is a BALL mouse.

Thanx for ur help anyway but like I said ive given up - no one wants to help.

I would suggest that it is immaterial whether the mouse is a ball mouse or a laser one: if a mouse causes a problem, then it will be the mouse driver, not the actual mouse hardware configuration.

Yoyu said that you upgraded you PC, but kept the same OS. What hardware components have you changed exactly?

The Processor, RAM, and a new NVIDIA video card.

Everything else I had previously.

Im at a loss to explain it.
I dont think its my video card because it plays games a lot more complex and detailed - as well as games a lot simpler than Civ 3 - for example, Rise of Nations, Warcraft 3, Stronghold, and Europa Universalis 2, Alpha Centauri, and Age of Empires.

Well i just reinstalled the lot again up to the plain 1.0 version of C3C. And the game worked perfectly fine no crashes or nothing. I even reinstalled Direct X 9.

Then i downloaded and installed the 1.22 patch and the game wont work. So now I know that its a problem with the data in the new patch not me or my computer.

Im going to try re-downloading the patch from the CFC server see if that works.
If it dont im going to download the 1.20 patch and then the 1.22 patch for those who have 1.20... and see if THAT works.
If it dont im seriously going to kick firaxis' ass.

EDIT:
Ok ive done what I said I would; reinstalled the games, and then the 1.20 patch and then the 1.22 "1.20 add-on" patch on top and the game now works correctly.

Therefore this leaves me with the conclusion that there is an error in the Font file (or perhaps another file which is causing a conflict with the font file) that is downloaded with the 1.22 FULL patch.

My advice to everyone who has this problem is:

1= Reinstall everything from scratch.
2= Try the 1.22 FULL Patch first.
3= If that doesnt work uninstall 1.22 FULL and Try the 1.20 Patch with the 1.22 Update for 1.20 Patch.
4= If it still does not work reinstall your video drivers and repeat above steps.
5= If all else fails reinstall Direct X 9 and repeat steps 1, 2, and 3.

Did you even read what I said? I had exactly the same problem as you. My game worked fine until I got C3C and then not at all after I installed the 1.22 patch. Always the Font Error Code 28.

WHen I disable iTouch everything is fine.

anarchywrksbest said:
Did you even read what I said? I had exactly the same problem as you. My game worked fine until I got C3C and then not at all after I installed the 1.22 patch. Always the Font Error Code 28.

WHen I disable iTouch everything is fine.

Yes but since i dont HAVE the Logitech Optical Mouse it isnt really relevant to me is it?

I played the game fine previously with the exact same -PACKARD BELL- mouse. That never changed.
I think it was the latest Direct X that was the problem because the game worked after I reinstalled Direct X from the C3C CD and then the game itself then the patches.

Hi folks,
TO imsw08.. . I got the some problem like u, BUT only since 4 or 5 weeks , the time when i updated the GeForce 5200 nvidia with the new software (56.64). since this time ERROR 28 - nothing to say ... i do an reinstall and the same result. now i loking for the old software or a new update of it. oops i have to recocnice that i played civ3 with all updates for an half year to this point of time ... Hope that will help u .. Tell me if u know anything else plz ..
GRRRR - i had to test our new beta ww2 - it sux
greetz hulk

lmsw08233 said:
Yes but since i dont HAVE the Logitech Optical Mouse it isnt really relevant to me is it?

I played the game fine previously with the exact same -PACKARD BELL- mouse. That never changed.
I think it was the latest Direct X that was the problem because the game worked after I reinstalled Direct X from the C3C CD and then the game itself then the patches.

Same here I had the same Packard Bell mouse except Packard Bell don't make their mouses, Logitech do. :p

SOLUTION TO THE CODE 28/LSANS FONT ERROR

Hi all, I've just solved the Code 28 error problem for playing Conquests:

1. Go to your Civ3 folder
2. Go to the Conquests folder
3. Rename LSANS.FOT to -LSANS.FOT (or anything you like)
4. Play the game!

Some information: The LSANS.FOT file tells Conquests to load the LucidaSans font (used by Civ3) from "C:\BreakAway\Civ3\Conquests\LSANS.TTF". If this file isn't in this path, then it won't find the file and an error will be generated. Delete/rename the file and it will just load LucidaSans without problems.

Stupid or what?

Hope this helps anyone who is still having this problem! Atari's "support" sucks!

Top Bottom