News: COTM107 Scandinavia - Pre-game discussion

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
COTM107 Scandinavia - Pre-game discussion

We don the mantle of Ragnar Lodbrok as we begin our quest for glory (or ignominy) on this archipelago map. As you will know, Scandinavia comprises three countries; Norway, Sweden and Denmark. With the recent release of the Lego movie, it was tempting to give Emmet the leaders' role in this game, but I resisted. (Spoiler Alert) He is the saviour of the world after all, and not just Denmark.

The Scandinavians are militaristic and expansionistic, and start the game with the knowledge of pottery and warrior code. Their unique unit is the Berserk warrior which is avialable once your civilisation has learned invention and replaces the longbow unit. The Berserk is the first available amphibious unit in the game, which means it can launch assaults from within sea-based transport vessels. In this game the Berseks have been further modified to increase their attack strength from 6 to 7. The build cost remains the same.

This game continues to use a modified form of the standard Conquests scenario, and although no bugs have been reported in some time, it is possible that play testing has not been exhaustive. Any in-game event or behaviour that a player feels is unintended should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

The game parameters are as follows:

Civilization: Scandinavia
Difficulty: Monarch
Map size: 100(X) X 100(Y) - Standard
Map topology: Cylindrical Archipelago
Rivals: 16 selected opponents
Barbarians: Mystery
Victory conditions: All enabled

Below is a picture of your start location.

The starting save file will be available here from 26th July.

Good Luck! :)

Attachments

• cotm107civ2.jpg
    cotm107civ2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 568
i understand, it´s a Mystery ;)
t_x

If mystery means Barbarians, perhaps we can't play the Farmer's Gambit this time? I note that the food bonus tiles have few shields.

By the way, Scandinavia are Seafaring, not Expansionist, in Conquests, right? That would explain the lack of a Scout on the picture (two white lines, not three). So we'll want to send out Curraghs as soon as possible, draining even more shields.

Più Freddo;13355977 said:
I note that the food bonus tiles have few shields.

Yes, but we have at least three BGs (four, if we are willing to give up fresh water) plus a deer forest. That should be plenty of shields!? :confused:
Alternatively we can irrigate the deer and then mine two of the wines. (Which seems to be necessary for a 4-turner, if I didn't miscalculate: with three irrigated wines, we can't get 6spt at size 5.)

Più Freddo;13356223 said:
I tend to chop early and think of Games as no shields.

Same over here... Until another Viennese (templar_x) showed me that it can be very powerful to keep the forest for a little while in order to speed up the granary.

Actually, this could be one of these cases. Too lazy to work out an excel sheet, but out of "gut feeling" I would say it could be quite strong here to
- quickly irrigate two wines for fast growth
- use the deer forest for shields, while the BGs are being mined
- when the mines on the BGs are done, chop the forest and start the 4-turner.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I like this interesting start postion! :goodjob: It provides so many interesting alternatives and options.

Wanted to post about my idea to keep the deer (dear :)) forest for a while. Now Lanzelot already brought that idea up... T_x

Più Freddo;13356414 said:
...and while you are putting your sparse shields into a Granary, a Barbarian walks in...

Well, shields are not exactly "sparse": as I said, we have 3-4 BGs and a "dear" forest...
And of course no one prohibits us to build 2-3 warriors before we start the granary! ;)

Top Bottom