TLPAC - The Forgotten

Lighthearter

President of the United States
Right, right, typical boring intro mumbo jumbo. I know what you're all here for. YOU JUST CARE ABOUT THE SHIPPING, EFF THE PLOT.

For those who know the TLP universe: This is (mainly) set 4 years after the conclusion of Ragnarok.

For those who don't: it's my book series. Be polite about telling me how much it sux.

Okay. An AC is an Action Chatroom, and this game is one of those. It's turn-based roleplaying game played in a chatroom(here) where I serve as the GM(Gamemaster) and manage all enemies, allies and environmental effects while everyone else ignores my carefully constructed plot and goes haring off after unimportant side details.

If people are online around 5-6ish tonight I can run the prologue mission. Mondays at 5 is the plan, but I can also add Wednesdays and some other odds and ends as necessary for schedules.

This AC will be handled differently than any of my others. I've taken a leaf from Dem's book(UtM, Arcs) and from my original handling of SSD(three self-contained Acts) and for The Forgotten I will be running three six-eight mission "Seasons", which are completely self-contained. The second builds off the first, and the third off the second, and there is an overall plot, but if I lose interest or the players do I can at least finish out one season and provide decent closure. Season One is as planned as it needs to be, and I know the gists of Two and Three, but I won't outline them until I'm sure we're going to run them and Season One concludes.

NOW the dramatic sounding blurb.

Season One: The Messenger

You've been called many things. Rebels, terrorists, revolutionaries. All you cared about was restoring the rightful king to his place on the throne of the Jinon Empire, in those dark days after the oligarchic coup. It didn't take long for you to find the rebels under the leadership of the Earl of Whitehorse, son of the greatest traitor in modern history. Although initially skeptical, you came to trust and follow the young nobleman, and along the way you began to realize your little rebellion was doing more than restoring a king. Out of the ashes of an oligarchy and an empire rose a new creature: a constitutional monarchy, something the world had never seen before.

But that's now. Before the world changed, you first had to retake the national capital from the men loyal to their noble lords. Your unit was one of the first groups sent through the breach into the Palace itself . . . .

Character Creation:

Name:
Level:
XP:
HP:
Color:
Royals:
Skills:

Now, explanations.

Name: <INSERT NAME HERE>
Level: Your character level. Starts at 1. You get one Skill and 10HP per level.
XP: Your XP total. Starts at 0. 1000XP gets you to Level 2, 2000 more to Level 3, and so forth.
HP: Your hit points. Starts at 30. Goes up by 10 per level.
Color: Your magical color. If your character is not a magician, mark yourself as "nonmage".
Royals: How many silver royals worth of money your character has. Starts at 30. You can earn more as the game proceeds.
Skills: Your skills. You can take five at game start. Upgrading to a Talent or Mastery counts as an additional skill, so as an example Mastering Unarmed Combat would require 3 points.
Spoiler :
Fire:(Magic) - Any magic based on fire, heat, lightning or similar elemental powers.
Water:(Magic) - Any magic based on water, liquids, ice or the like.
Air:(Magic) - Any magic based on wind, smoke, flight or other such.
Earth:(Magic) - Any magic based on earth, rocks, plants and such.
Energy:(Magic) - Magic based on bolts, beams and shields of colored light.
Transformation:(Magic) - Magic used to transform objects. Cannot be used on living beings, and all transformed items transform back eventually.
Divination:(Magic) - Magic used to communicate telepathically, read the future and past, or attack the minds of others.
Illusion:(Magic) - Magic used to create shadows and imaginary threats for the enemy to react to.

Potions: Your skill at brewing potions for whatever effects you desire. Culturally, this is considered one of the Schools of Magic, though you do not need the mage's talent to brew a potion.
Unarmed: Your skill at fighting with fists, feet, headbutts and any other form of combat without a weapon.
Melee Weapon: Your skill at using a melee weapon, from a sword to an axe to a staff.
Bows: Your skill at using a bow of any sort.
Rifles: Your skill with a magic-powered accelerator rifle.
Pistols: Your skill with magic-powered accelerator pistols.
Knowledge: What you know, and how well you know it. Also can be used to get GM advice.
Parry: How well you can avoid or block unarmed and melee weapon attacks.
Dodge: How well you can dodge ranged attacks.
Survival: Tracking, healing, and perception fall under Survival.
Stealth: Your ability to sneak, pick locks and pockets, or hide your true intentions.
Charisma: The ability to speak does not make you intelligent, but if you speak well enough people will listen anyway.
Luck: Sometimes a little luck goes a long way. Adds a very small modifier to all actions.
Hit Points: Adds 10 more hit points. Can be taken indefinitely.
Toughness: Your ability to resist poisons, stun effects and the like, as well as your physical strength.
Tactics: Your skill at Haven's premier card game. use it for money, entertainment, or maybe to save your life.
Leadership: And you thought your amazing charisma was wasted on text-based internet games. Inspire others with your tactical genius and aura of command. Gives bonuses to the actions of an ally of your choice.

Except for Leadership and Luck, all skills give a +3 bonus. You can further enhance a skill to a Talent, making it a +6 bonus, and from there to a Mastery, for +10.

On Magic:

Spoiler :
You must choose at game start whether or not you are a mage. Any skill marked with '(Magic)" cannot be taken by a nonmage. This choice is permanent. I would rather not have everyone be magician, but I would also rather not have evveryone be nonmagical. A good ratio would be 2 normal to 1 magician, but I won't be upset if it's slanted more to one way or the other.

Magicians can cast two spells per encounter, per character level. After that, they lose 5HP per spell cast. The reason for this is that magic in the TLPverse works by converting the caster's blood to energy which then becomes whatever the magician is attempting to create, either a bolt of light or a surge of fire.

Magic usually requires physical motions, inspired by Bending in the Avatar universe, though it isn't martial arts as shown in the show. There are some techniques that are more "classical Western fantasy" spells but in general if you are bound or otherwise unable to move, you won't be able to throw fireballs easily. There also exist antimagical objects called nullifiers that prevent magicians from casting and in some cases can knock them out, although normals are completely unaffected.

All right, I think that's everything. If I've missed anything important, let me know and I can put it up tonight or Friday. If no first mission tonight, we'll plan on next Monday unless an opening appears for me before then.

And yes, this means I'm not really reviving Savs3. There didn't seem to be a lot of interest and my own disappeared virtually overnight. If I return to the Saviorsverse it will be for a full reboot of Savs3, or potentially of the verse as a whole.

Now let's TLP.

When does this take place in relation to your other TLP ACs?

Name: Raythar Mullain
Race: Human
Level: 3
XP: 3300
Magic Color: steel gray
Royals: 22

Water 1
Energy 1
Melee Weapons 3 (Preferred melee weapon is a two-handed sword)
Survival 1
Stealth 1
Divination 1
Backstory
Spoiler :
Some families are normal, some are dysfunctional... and then there's the Mullains of Taren. Unlike most noble houses, House Mullain does not automatically name the eldest child heir at birth. Rather, they wait until age fifteen, when the child has matured and they can see if they have the character need to properly guide the people. If not, the next in line becomes heir to land and title. This was what happened to Raythar when his older brother Jarth was deemed unfit to rule because of his extreme cruelty. There's just one little problem with denying a sadist what he would have had were he the firstborn of any other house...
It happened without warning. Late one night, Jarth entered his father's room and slit his throat. After taking down the guards who soon entered, he declared himself Lord of Taren, and none opposed him. However, Jareth knew his claim would be suspect as long as Raythar and his sister Ilena lived. A friendly scribe had helped the two escape while the takeover was going on, and since then, they've managed to live more or less undetected.

Allies
Ilena Mullain: Raythar's little sister, she's a talented sorceress with knowledge in most fields of magic, although she doesn't specialize in anything in particular and is less than useless with a weapon in her hands. She has a fiery temper and a love of fighting, and claims with some justification that she's gotten Raythar out of more scraps than vice versa.

So I don't completely foul things up, could you give me a general rundown of the world?

Essentially, it's a classic fantasy world. Politically, the three main powers are the Jinon Empire(the land where our story takes place), the Aerilian Third Empire(Romanesque) and the Zelkonian Empire.(Aztec/Japanese empire run by snake-men). There was an ancient epic prophecy and mumbo jumbo that you really don't understand that came true recently in the Jinon Civil War. It began when a cabal of nobles overthrew the King and ended with the people rising up and restoring him to the throne with the help of his dynasty's historical allies, the elves in the south and the goblins(Who are Lawful Good Scotirish warriors, not evil raiders) of the north.

About one person in three on the planet is a magician, and even those without the talent can use items imbued with power by a mage. Thus, magic permeates every aspect of society. There are trains called "caravans" that run on magic, perfumes and food are made with spells, there are magical versions of electric lighting, and so forth. Magic-powered guns, called accelerators, are a recent invention, and at this stage closely resemble muskets and revolvers of the RL 1800s.

If there are any other details you want, just ask.

-L

Name: Katherine Davidson
Level: 4
XP: 9050
HP: 70
Color: (Nonmage)
Royals: 82
Skills:
  • Accelerator Pistols Mastery (III)
  • Hit Points (I)
  • Melee Weapons Talent (II) (Cutlass)
  • Leadership (I)
  • Parry Talent (II)

Equipment:
  • Accelerator Pistol
  • Enchanted Cutlass (use Parry instead of Dodge vs. magic attacks)
  • Normal Cutlass (porque dos son mejor que uno, si?)
  • Book on defensive fencing (or Parrying Skill Book)

Name: Edwin Stanly
Race: Human
Magic: Potions Only.
Appearance: A tall young woman with black hair and blue eyes. Her usual atire is a smudged blue dress, sometimes adorned with minor scorch marks.
Bio: The eldest daughter of Jinon Baron Thomas Stanly, Edwin is the type of noble who spends more time wrapped in abstract scholarship than in the machinations of politics or the duty of their rank. Edwin and her younger sister Catherine are doted on by thier father, who allows each one to pursue their interests without pressing them towas futures in the court. As such, throughout her youth Edwin could be found often in the library, or learning from local mages and scholars. Although she grew to be no master of scholarship, she has nonetheless a solid foundation in the ways of intellectuals, and what few lessons she has had have given her a grounding in political theory as well. However, after the coup she found herself thrust into a much more active role than she might have liked, assisting the revolution after her father was arrested for supporting the old king. Edwin put her knowledge to good use with the aid of several faithful family retainers, but by the time the fighting was approaching its end the only one remaining was Mijo Vlahovic, a squire who had been forced to take up the duties of his deceased knight.

XP: 6200
Royals: 82
HP: 60

Skills:
Potions Mastery
Pistols
Knowledge
Survival
Charisma
Tactics

Equipment:
Pistol
Potion-Making Apparatus
Weathered Staff
Large Supply of Glass Vials
Numerous foul-smelling Ingredients
Several books
Signet Ring Identifying House Stanly
Map of Contabar Region
Caravan ticket to Contabar
Magic Orb
Some Hairpins (Can function as lockpicks in a pinch)
Writing Materials
Nullifier
10M of Rope
Self Lighting Torches
Ninja Fan
Ninja
Power Crystal

DT

Joining, whether you like it or not.

Name: Karanteg Anian Brendanus Laoidheach Aydan McKay (KABLAM)
Species: Human
Color: Tyrian Purple
Royals: 39
Skills:
  • Magical:
    • Earth Talent
    • Energy
    • Transformation Talent
  • Nonmagical:
    • Knowledge Mastery
    • Luck
    • Leadership
Inventory:
  • Book on Energy Magic (On Loan to Raythar)
  • Book on Tactics (from the Duchess' Library)
Bio: BOOM's third cousin, WHAM's second cousin once removed, and a direct descendant of BAM, KABLAM hails from a branch of the McKay family that left the central nations to settle in Jinon after a series of wacky and implausible adventures over a century ago led to BOOM & KABLAM's great-great grandfather, VROOM, inheriting the minor county of Vybukhovy. VROOM's decedents were loyal supporters of the king- naturally, after the King was toppled, the McKay family was one of the first to be stripped of their titles and imprisoned. Not all was lost, however, as the eldest son of the former count escaped from prison and joined up with the rebels. At first he was only fighting for his family lands, but after seeing the plight of the common people he became an ardent supporter of a constitution, believing it was necessary to keep the Jinon empire from fading into the dustbin of history.
Pets: Sheridan, a Thylacine imported from <not-Australia> when it was just a joey and given to KABLAM when he was just entering puberty. Sheridan & KABLAM quickly formed a bond, and Sheridan became KABLAM's constant companion, acting as a guard and a friend to the young mage. When Castle McKay fell to oligarchic forces during the toppling of the King, Sheridan managed to sneak away, and quickly found KABLAM after his escape from the dungeons.

Name: Mijo Vlahovic

HP: 70
Color: non-existent
Royals: 90

Skills:
  • Melee Weapon Mastery
  • Parry Talent
  • Luck Talent
  • Hitpoints

Equipment:
  • Chainmail
  • Spear
  • Nullifier
  • Food for 5-6 days for entire party

Bio: Borislav Vlahovic was a modestly wealthy merchant operating in Jinon. Fifteen years ago he came under the service of Baron Thomas Stanly partially to assist him in economic matters, but also to tutor his children to prepare them for ruling. After ten years he left. However he left not only the knowledge he provided to the Baron and his children but also his third oldest son, Mijo. Mijo Vlahovic had been chosen to be a page. For most of his childhood he served various noblemen and knights by cleaning weapons and clothing, transferring messages, and learning to fight.

At the age of 14 Mijo finished his work as a page and moved on to squire. He was entrusted to Sir Alexei Kohut, a knight working for the Stanly family. His education took a more martial focus. He learned to swing a sword instead of sweep a floor. He actually shunned the use of the traditional sword and shield, instead preferring the spear in his training sessions. When the coup came, the now Baroness Edwin Stanly sided with the resistance. Sir Alexei sided with his liege, and Mijo sided with his knight.

The knight and his squire served their liege and the resistance faithfully. Sir Alexei participated in several battles, and Vijo was always there to do his duties. While the resistance survived their last stand at Mount Clemen, Sir Alexei did not. He was cut down by the forces of the oligarchy, fighting to his last. As the resistance began to march Mijo prepared himself to take on the duties of the fallen knight.

So I cannot make a Necromancer... dammit. Oh well, I'll hold off deciding on something until I've thought more about a character then.

Name: Rex Impcer
Level: 1
XP: 0
HP: 30
Color: Blue
Royals: 30
Skills:

Fire Mastery
Luck
Tactics

Bio: Young Arellian mage. Was a student in an arellian magic acedemy but got kicked out due to a spell gone arwy (now there is a giant hole in said school and sorch marks everywhere). Got picked up as a mercenary for the rebels shortly afterwards, hoping they can point his destructive magic at the corrupt government

Name: Jan Piast
Level: 6
XP: 16750
Color: Deep red
Royals: 72

Skills:
Fire Mastery (III)
Bows (Longbow) Talent (II)
Divination Mastery (III)
Dodge Talent (II)

Name: Zinaella Aranys
Bio: Soon

Level: 3
XP: 3300
Color: Forest Green
Royals: 30
Skills:
Unarmed Combat Mastery
Stealth
Talent Dodge
Toughness
Survival

LH, IIRC, on mission 2 you rolled to determine if SS learned something; does high Knowledge make learning skills from books easier?

Top Bottom