IOT Developmental Thread

For Civ's game: I am starting to think that it is important to take the alternative history to its level and be inclusive; I would suggest moving the Western end to include the coasts of China and India; India was a travel target for Columbus after all. It would also add more spice to the game to be able to play as China and other Eastern powers.

What ever the case if East Asia not be I will be attempting to play other non-European powers; I like to have possibilities.

...or I could play as a power native in the Americas...

That'll overcomplicate things. If Cived tries to make things balanced and fun for everyone when he doesn't want to, then crap'll start to get weird.

...there goes my Buddhist, Confucius or/and Taoist colony. :(

I guess New Andalusia from the Emirate of Granada will have to be a consideration... that or Mali can go to coast, then buy its way across. ;)

Wait... so this map will basically mean that South America will not be present much? Or that it will look a odd map?

The African coast more west than the south of Morocco is in equator with Mexico AKA a important place for the tragedy that be the Conquistadors.

Now a map that somehow manage to include the whole of America but made a cutting in its east when it comes south is going to look... awkward.

I'm pretty sure Cived is talking about where the starting map is, as in he'd only accept singups that start in those regions. A colonisation game where you can't into Africa would be silly.

He's also indicated that he doesnt want to include many nations outside Europe, and it sounds like his mechanics were designed with that in mind. And to be fair, that's the standard for colonial game proposals, and it's perhaps the only situation on which IOTs Eurocentric bias actually benefits the games instead of hinders them (clustering of players, simplified mechanics, etc).

Map almost done just needs sea provinces
Spoiler :

Note: The map is directly traced from the Typus Orbis Terrarum, which is this
Spoiler :

I have a full-world version on my comp. This causes the inaccurcies in the map, but that's what I was going for so eh.
The darker-shaded area of the map is where you can claim to start, cultures will be added in as well.
The large southern landmass is, as you might guess, labelled "TERRA AUSTRALIS NONDVM COGNITA.", which means it's the fabled southern continent and definitely by no means claimable, ok? the large blobbish island (apparently new guinea) is.
Areas of asia on the map will be assigned to NPCs. you can conquer these, but of course they'll actually fight back.
I'm still toying with which native NPCs to use - I'm thinking Angola/Kongo, Aztecs, Incas, and maybe the Iroquois if I can figure out where the cartographer left the great lakes?

Looks cool

I have an idea:
VeniceIOT
You would take control of a merchant trader and one ship. You start with a certain amount of ducats and the goal is to get the most ducats. There are many cities in the Adriatic and the Mediterranean, and each turn (a season) there are different commodities available in different towns. Thus you make money by buying items at low prices and selling them at higher prices. Every turn there a special deals, provoked by say Venice has a famine, and wheats' price goes up; or Ragusa had especially large amount of glass imported and it's at a lower price.
So is anyone interested in playing this? And any advice for a first time GM?

I have an idea:
VeniceIOT
You would take control of a merchant trader and one ship. You start with a certain amount of ducats and the goal is to get the most ducats. There are many cities in the Adriatic and the Mediterranean, and each turn (a season) there are different commodities available in different towns. Thus you make money by buying items at low prices and selling them at higher prices. Every turn there a special deals, provoked by say Venice has a famine, and wheats' price goes up; or Ragusa had especially large amount of glass imported and it's at a lower price.
So is anyone interested in playing this? And any advice for a first time GM?

Permission to play as shylock pls

Top Bottom